Motorcycle Forum banner

What tires do you recommend ...

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  W7AX 
#1 ·
Hi All -

I ride a 1996 R11RS. The original tires were Metzlers. Its time for new tires (I know ... way overdue, although I only have 2000 miles on the bike, unbelievably); the dealership sells and recommends the Metzler Z8 RoadTec.

And Indy that I called said he recommends the Michelin (not sure which model he was referring to). Said it is stickier, has a better ride, and better traction in the wet than the Metzler.

What tire do you have on your bike ? Do you have a certain recommendation ? Note that I tend to stick with OEM (although I understand that OEM is not necessary for tires).

Thanks very much all.

#2 ·
This is a question that is just like what kind of oil to use. You'll get every kind suggested. Back in 88, Pirelli's were the big thing. I'm sure it's changed but if you want sticky, I'd look at Avon tires. However, your really best bet is stick with what ever you dealer is peddling. You'll get the best service if nothing else.

#5 · (Edited)
The right tire, no matter WHO makes it, should have a history of good tread wear, and a record of dependability.

Do your homework.........investigate........then decide what's right for you. Pirelli, Avon, Dunlop,.........whomever. There are a good number of "good" tires out there. I understand that you put your question in here, as part of "doing your homework," and I applaud you for that; but don't soley depend on the opinion of a number of folks in a Forum. This venue, along with a little personal investigation of your own, is the way to go. In the end, it has to be YOUR decision. Last thing anyone would want is for you to buy a particular part for your bike that you bought just because someone recommended it, and then you had trouble. The next thing you'd be tempted to do is go to that person and say something like, "I bought it and it sucked, and you recommended it!").

There ought to be a Liability Waiver that we can sign in the Forum, for advice given.............lol.

I've been more interested in style. For example (other than the tread you need for the environment you will be mostly riding on), I am considering WWW's for my bike (Wide White Walls).

As I have investigated it, there is only one company that makes the WWW's that would fit on my bike (the A.C.E. models have an unusual tire size, apparently, if the bike parts places are to be believed that I have talked with), and that particular tire company has a reputation for limited life (wear) with their tires, so I didn't order them.

-Soupy

#6 ·
Only 2,000 miles in 18 years!! If you continue with that low mileage chances are your next pair will rot out before they wear out!

Go with the dealer's Metzler recommendation. They make a great tire. They're part of Pirelli since 1986.

I run Metzler Sportec M5 Interact tires on my BMW.

#9 ·
Tires choices will always vary from time to time and everyone has an opinion...even me ! Actually, I think any of the major brands will satisfy you. My personal choice is Michelin and for a lot of good reasons. I have a BMW R1200CL and it has Pirellis now but they aren't the performers that the Michelins were on my Honda ST1300. Of course ,that's two different bikes too.

By the way, nice to meet all you folks as I am fairly new to BMW but have ridden since 1947 and too dumb to quit now :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.