Motorcycle Forum banner

Cruisers with these options

11K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  harper1129 
#1 · (Edited)
I want to buy a used cruiser (about 5 years old) so I don't take the depreciation hit on new. I'd want something in the 1000 - 1500 cc range.

Features I'd like (in descending order of desire):

EFI
6-speed
ABS
Belt Drive

Please note I am only looking at the Japanese big 4 and Triumph.

So what's out there?

#4 · (Edited)
First thought is the Suzuki Boulevard M90, C90 or C90T. Don't know when they went EFI, the M50 had fuel injection on the 2010 model. The M and C 90s only have 5 speed gearboxes though, but that seems adequate. And it's better than belt drive, it's shaft drive. The C 90 has footplates, the M90 has pegs.

Then there's the Yamaha V-Star XVS 1100 and XVS 1300. But again 5 speed and shaft drive. The XVS 1100 has pegs, the XVS 1300 has foot plates.

Then the Kawasaki Vulcan, but they only show a VN 900 and a VN 1700 now, I thought they had a VN 1500. I think the VN 1500 was also marketed as the Mean Streak, but it's belt drive and still 5 speed. Think the VN range has foot plates.

Triumph has chain drive almost exclusively don't they?

Think Honda only have the Shadow VT 750, is the Fury a 1300, but it's more a chopper with extended forks.

Off the top of my head I can't think of anything meeting all your criteria.

My choice would be the Suzuki Boulevard M50, I loved mine when I had it, top speed 100 mph, cruise up to 90 mpg. Handled like a turd going down a drainpipe.

#31 ·
I agree. The VTX 1800 has the best brakes of any motorcycle that I've ever owned. Also has EFI and shaft-drive not belt and 5-speed not 6 but a 6th gear is not needed on this bike. There are a bunch of these around with low miles on them for cheap.

#9 · (Edited)
The Bonneville and America are chain drive

Their big cruisers could be a match for what you want:
Triumph Thunderbird: 1600 cc, belt drive, 6 speed, ABS
Triumph Thunderbird Storm: 1700 cc, belt drive, 6 speed,ABS
Triumph Rocket III Roadster: 2300 CC, shaft, 5 speed, ABS​

#13 ·
I gotta throw my $.02 in here and say the Yamaha's are a good thing to look for, I have an '08 Road Star 1700, belt drive, only a 5 speed, but 5th is an overdrive runs nice on the highway....

there are a lot of used Road Star and V-Stars out there for good prices

#19 ·
I would guess the Vstar 1300 is the same motor as mine, the bike weighs 20lb more than mine, shouldn't be a problem for that motor. And it is fast, you won't need 6th gear.

The gas mileage is that good, better than a car, I'm looking at 45mpg most of the time.

Its good to check the maintenance schedule, mine is 4000 miles on the oil, every 16000 miles on the soft tail, big bucks taking the rear end apart to inspect and lube, I think mine also includes the front end.

Lots of used ones for sale is not a good reason to buy one. It doesn't mean stay away from them either. If you get one from a Yamaha dealer then most likely it was traded-in for another Yamaha, thats not a bad sign.

Go check out bikes and see what you really want.

#22 ·
A couple nice bikes, especially the by owner, and its $4000 if you cash your check and give him cash.

It is alot of bike.

Ask yourself a couple questions
what kind of riding are you going to do, interstate cruising, hitting the curves, or both?

How much power do you really need/want, is gas mileage important? In general the bigger the motor the less mpg.

There is alot more power in engines than people think, 1000cc is a bunch of power.

Go to a motorcycle superstore and check them all out.

#23 ·
My riding is mostly around the burbs and back highways. I get on the interstate sometimes and my present ride seems a little light for that altho it has plenty of power to stay with traffic at any speed. Gas mileage isn't an issue at all. All bikes look good compared to my 14.5 mpg Tahoe.

I think I'll run by the Yamaha dealer today and sit on one.

#24 ·
VN1700 is 6 speed, belt drive and ABS offered on Voyager and Vaquero. Classic LT might have ABS as option but not sure. ABS was offered on the Vulcan's I think in 2009 or 2010. The 1500 was replaced by the 1600 which was replaced by the 2000 and 1700. 1700 went over to belt drive. You can find some very good deals on left over model years if you search dealers online and check out their inventory.

#25 ·
Just to throw this out there for your consideration in regards to the 6 speed gearbox. I have a 2001 Yamaha Roadstar, its 1600cc with a 5 speed gearbox, I only use 5th when I'm traveling 60+, its a very tall gear, It cruises in 5th very comfortably at 80 on the highway.

#26 ·
6th is more of an overdrive gear, added for better cruising mileage. It comes in nice when you are going 85-90 mph and want to cruise and get best mileage. You really don't need to get into 5th or 6th unless you are out on the highway or going over 60 mph if you want to get best mileage.

#27 ·
I've been engaging in a little wishful thinking, and found a bike which comes up with most of Postoak's wishes. Just that it won't be 5 years old nor main 4 Japanese or Triumph.

Moto Guzzi California Custom ABS:

1400 Twin Vee
EFI
6-speed
ABS
Not belt drive - even better shaft drive

Love the look of that bike, think those mag wheels look just like spokes - so styling AND function. And it has that nice big dial speedo on the bars where you don't have to look down to see it. I'd just have to change the plates for pegs, throw on a pair of Give Trekker panniers and it'd be my perfect bike.

#28 ·
postoak ... I came across a Comment on an MC forum the other day that you might really want to think about.

A guy was pointing out that there are a TON of Harley Davidson riders who have great bikes sitting in their garage - and they rarely ride them. It's a status symbol thing for these guys. They maintain the bikes well and keep them looking nice, but only get out a few times a year.

there's a LOT of truth to this. and for this reason you've got a very good opportunity to pick up a used HARLEY thats in outstanding condition. Look around. I think Harley has a model thats around 1200 cc. Dont ask me what kind of drive its got ... dunno. But if i were you ... I would seriously look at the possibility.

You should also check the Victories, and the Yamaha Striker (Stryker?).

dT

#30 ·
The Honda custom series (Fury, Interstate, Stateline) are 1300's, available with ABS, are EFI and liquid cooled, but are 5 speeds with shaft drive. Not sure why you are specifically seeking belt drive but of course up to you. I like the Stateline that I have, they have been out since 2010 or so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.