Motorcycle Forum banner

Moving from a 250cc to a 1300cc

11K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  McTours 
#1 ·
Hi. I've grown up on the back of bikes, from the time I was old enough to walk I was on the back of a bike. I'd been thinking about ridding myself for years and last year I decided I was going to. I took the safety course offered by the state, and went and bought a Honda Rebel 250 cc. I did not want that bike as my first one I felt like it was too small even though I'm not very tall. I stand 5 foot 4 and that bike feels tiny to me. I rode all of September October November some of December and got my bike out in March. When I first got the bike I spent hours and hours in a big parking lot just working on maneuverability handling stopping that kind of thing. When I decided that I was ready to take it out I stuck to be back country roads to learn the feel of the bike in the wind practice passing cars stopping. When I get comfortable with that I took it on main roads where I would encounter faster cars semisand it just fine. I am relatively comfortable as far as my skill level on my Rebel. I've practiced my emergency stop so many times when I actually had to do an emergency stop so I wouldn't hit a stupid driver it just came second nature. I got it in my head that I wanted a bigger bike so I went bike shopping. I went to a dealership that sells foreign and domestic motorcycle. I sat on hundreds of bikes of all sizes and cc's and finally found one that fit me and that I liked. It ended up being a Honda VTX 1300 R I wanted to take it out and test ride it an even the sales guy was concerned but I was stubborn and said I wanted to try it I wanted to see if I could handle a bigger bike. I took it out on a really windy day and absolutely loved it. Although it so much heavier than my little tiny rebel it wasn't overwhelming and as far as the bigger engine size realistically if you're not up on your throttle it really doesn't matter. I'm almost 40 I'm a woman I have nothing to prove to anybody I just like to ride and so my question after writing this book is is going from a 250 a 1300 too big of a leap?? I was confident when I left the dealership that I was going to research the bike come back the next day and buy it but after reading website after website I'm starting to doubt myself. All of these websites I read talk about how you should move up slowly that you have to hone your skills. And I understand that but am I supposed to buy a 250 and then move up to a 500 and then move up to 750 and then was up to a 950 and then keep going and going?

See less See more
#3 ·
You are correct. The ideal way is to do in steps. It's for your own safety. But the VTX 1300 is not a monster and not a really responsive bike as to throttle sensitivity. It's a good solid bike. If you took it out and felt not over whelmed, you will probably be fine. However, if you are having any control problems AT ALL with what you now have, I would not suggest it. A step in between would still be better but because you are choosing the VTX, I feel it really is okay. It is one of the better in that regard. Good brakes and throttle sensitivity being key. The only other problem you might have is being caught off guard with the weight and drop it. That does happen to all of us though. But the VTX is better than most in weight distribution and not as top heavy. It really sounds like you could handle it.

#4 ·
Sounds like you have a real level head about the significant step-up in bike size. If you've already ridden one (congrats convincing the sales guy to let you!!) then you're probably ready. Naturally you'll start from "square one" with the VTX and begin building confidence on isolated streets before hitting the interstate I hope! :D

..and it also sounds like YOU probably would have been OK starting out with a 500cc bike right away.

#6 ·
Missy1976, I concur with all that has been posted already (started on a 65cc, 175, 400, 500, 750, and now a 1200, after 20+ years). You will likely be fine, if you take your time. The real key is, how comfortable were you walking the bike in the parking lot? That is where you will be most likely to drop it.

I test drove an 1800cc Gold Wing, five years ago. The salesman dropped the air suspension all the way down, but forgot to air it up before my wife and I took it for a test drive -- the balance was on a razor's edge, and I could not wait to get it back to the dealer. Even with the suspension where it should have been, that bike was like steering a barge -- for me. My current 1200cc bike, is big, but it is not a barge.

If the 1300 is like steering a barge, think carefully about it; there are plenty of bikes out there to choose from. If it was something you could handle in a parking lot, you will be just fine with it.

If it has a wet clutch, you could look into Jerry Palladino's DVD's on handling large bikes. Here is a taste of his stuff, from a YouTube video: . His DVD's are great: . I have one of his older DVD's, and it is worth every penny. It involves slipping the clutch, revving at a higher-than-idle speed, to use the engine (centrifical force) to stabilize the bike at slow speeds. It's not rocket science, but it really helps. Cheers!
:71baldboy:

#7 ·
A nice, well behaved 1300 is a dream to ride. It is heavy enough not to be kicked around by the winds and has enough power when you want it. It is not a teenager's crotch rocket but a nice standard bike. If you like it, go for it.

My tastes are different but if we didn't all want something a bit different all bikes would be Victory Visions and that would get boring fast.

#8 ·
I've seen some very small people, commanding some very LARGE bikes, in my day. I'm amazed at them, frankly.

Let's face it, it's about handling at slow speeds; parking; sitting at a light.

First off, I recommend that you not buy a bike that you can't be "flat footed" on. Seat height is important. If you are at a traffic light, and have to hold the bike in place "on tippy toes," you are not on the best bike choice.

Second is body strength. I'd venture that most of the smaller folks (and even some tall/bigger folks) have to be fairly rugged, to handle bikes over say 800 - 900 lbs. "wet" in close quarter turns, or lifting them off the ground.

Summary: if you are five foot two and 100 lbs. soaking wet, and a bit soft, I'd move up to a 750cc. If you are a bit more rugged, and have strong arms, I suppose you could get a 1000cc bike. The difference between a 1000cc bike and a 1300cc bike will be negligible.

I would say this to someone six foot tall as well.
Soft vs rugged can still apply.

Anybody with a good sense of balance, counter-steer and road savy can handle any bike they're on, when rolling at reasonable speeds.

-Soupy1957

#9 ·
I've seen some very small people, commanding some very LARGE bikes, in my day. I'm amazed at them, frankly.

Let's face it, it's about handling at slow speeds; parking; sitting at a light.

Second is body strength. I'd venture that most of the smaller folks (and even some tall/bigger folks) have to be fairly rugged, to handle bikes over say 800 - 900 lbs. "wet" in close quarter turns, or lifting them off the ground.

-Soupy1957
Don't worry about bike weight when it comes to handling a bike. If you explore the "ride like a pro" videos it won't take long to run across a video of a rather small built young woman commanding a full dress Harley. Those things weigh over 850 pounds dry. On the other hand, if you dump one, you will most likely need help getting it back on its feet, I don't care who you are. Actually that is pretty easy to find. People just seem to want to jump in and help, so that is also not an issue. The only place weight would come into play is in your own driveway if you manage to lay the bike on the ground. It is probably the only place you will not find lots of help at hand.

#11 ·
If you planned a Suzuki 1300 Hyabusa then I'd have some reservations but the Honda VTX 1300 R is a nice cruiser with a low centre of gravity. Being a cruiser the saddle is lower and this will suit your height.
Be wary of the different ride style. On the Honda Rebel your bum was on the seat and foot pegs directly below your knees could grip the tank and this all placed you firmly on the machine. With the VTX your bum is still on the seat but your feet are forward and you cannot grip the tank with your knees. It is a different style of riding so take extra care whilst you adjust.

#12 ·
Welcome to the forum. Everyone has great pointers here. SgtSlag, thanks for posting that video. It reminded me of when I first started riding bicycles. I learned a lot of balance doing bmx/ freestyle tricks. As I got older I went to a 150cc scooter to a 250 dirt bike then to street bikes 200cc , 500cc, 250cc, then to the 750cc I got now. It is important to find the bike that fits you and a lot of practice on the bike learning the controls and handling. Safety first. Godd luck and ride safe. :71baldboy:

#13 ·
thank you all for the great tips and pointers, I am going tomorrow to pick up my new bike :)it will be like I'm starting all over again I'm sure but I actually enjoyed practicing with my Rebel . It was just me an empty parking lot and my bike so I'm sure I will enjoy practicing with my VTX1300.

The drive way comment did get me thinking though as its uphill and stone...luckily I have great neighbors.

#16 ·
HogCowboy and myself used to own VTX1300R's. They aren't a beast power wise, it has a very low seat height and isn't bad at low speed maneuvering. So I'd say if you feel like you can handle the weight, go for it.

I only got rid of mine because it wasn't comfortable for two-up touring.

#17 ·
Hi Missy1976,
I've just been teaching someone this morning about positive steering or counter steering as some might say and suddenly thought about you with your car part practice steering.
I hope that you already realise how the geometry of a bike changes as speed increases but if not you should, so, I hope this is not patronising but you need to learn the difference in how a bike steers at low speed than high speed. Let me know if you want help and I'll happily explain more.

#20 ·
Congrats on your new ride. As you said, it is time to get in lots of practice. I find that true for me too, even after 45 years of riding. A new bike never matches the old one so always get in lots of practice when you get a new bike.

#23 · (Edited)
I have had my VTX1300R for almost 6 years now, and I am still as in love with it as the day I bought it. I did make a couple of adjustments to make it fit me, I am 5'2" with a 27" inseam, so I put 6" risers on it(4" up 2" back) and had the seat shaved/lowered as I was tiptoe on it.
So, if you find that you need to make some adjustments to get more comfortable, there are plenty of options and accessories out there. It is a fantastic bike and I have ridden it touring with no problems whatsoever.

#24 ·
Are you still enjoying the bigger bike Missy1976?
I though about you earlier this year when I took an inexperienced female rider out for a day trip through the Lothian's and Border area of Scotland (South of Edinburgh) she had a great day out on a little Suzuki 125 Van van. I could not persuade her to try a bigger bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.