Motorcycle Forum banner

Something electrical

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  DevilDoc 
#1 ·
I have a 88' Yamaha Radian (I'm a backyard mechanic) that I replaced the motor on because it had a bad cylinder. Was starting and running before I had replaced the motor. Before I installed the new motor I tested It, turned over and had good compression. Well problem is now that I installed the motor and got everything hooked back up the starter motor won't turn. Lights turn on. No fuses blown. Hooked battery directly to the starter and the starter tuned. So I'm just seeing if anyone had any idea whats going on?

#4 ·
There you go. Once you've checked that your battery is fully charged and ll the battery connections are good and tight, I'd begin at the starter relay and make sure you have voltage when you press the start button. (And the ignition is turned on, the clutch is pulled in, the sidestand is down, and whatever other hoops have to be jumped through for that bike. There's also a low oil switch I see, so make sure the oil is full.)

It looks like it's a blue/white wire to the relay. If you have enough voltage to the relay and it doesn't work, disconnect the wires and use a jumper to apply battery voltage directly to the B/W terminal, and another to ground it from where the white/red wire attaches. (Going by the diagram I'm looking at.)

If you hear the relay click then it's likely a problem on the ground side of that circuit, and if not it's the relay itself. That will let you know which way to start looking: Upstream if there's no voltage, and down if it's a ground issue. Just follow the circuit on the wiring diagram like a road map, checking each section of wiring, each connector, and each component as you go. It's like following a path out of the woods. :) Patience.

If you're not real familiar with checking circuits or doing voltage drop tests, Wade wrote a very good article on the theory and practice of it that you should be able to see in this section.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.