Motorcycle Forum banner

Harley Motorcycles American Made?

15K views 69 replies 22 participants last post by  Dodsfall 
#1 ·
Are Harleys even made in America anymore. Someone told me that they were in fact, now a Japanese bike. Doesn't this kind of fly in the face of the whole Harley Davidson image? I thought that the fact that it was American was the main reason that people bought them.

When did this happen, and how? Is there anything made in Americ anymore. If we lost Harley, are we finally over the edge? First the car, then the television, and now the Hog.

Has the shift from domestic manufacturing done anything good or bad for the quality of bikes coming off of the chain?

When I was a kid, all of the down home American bos loved Harley, even if we didn't have one. It was the bike to have, as it was an American Legend. Is it anymore?

#38 ·
Hollywood,
Don't let the bickering get under your skin.
This is not meant in a malicious way at all. All this is, is some good people making conversation about bikes and poking fun. No one is dead serious and no one means to hurt anothers' feelings. It's all being done in fun.

Getting a rise out of others is ok, being mean about it is not the intention of anyone I know on here.

When it comes down to the nut cracking, we really do respect each other and will argue till we're blue in the face for each other to have a choice. It's like kids in a family just fussing at each other over nothing!

The main thing is we are all riders, we share our information and opinions and we throw a bit of well intended poking of fun at each other. Don't take it to heart. Look at it for what it is. A group of guys and gals that just want to have a little fun bickering at each other. The operative word being "fun".

CD

#39 ·
Don't get upset, this is just the way I feel. Others feel differently and that is OK too. As long as they are happy with what they ride, all is good. There is just something about a Harley. It's not about being American made to me. I really can't explain it. No other bike makes me feel that way. I knew when I was looking for a bike that I would not be happy on anything else. I guess it's something in your blood. I don't care what anybody else choses to ride. That is their choice. I made mine. My best friend chose a V-Star, my son chose a Ninja. My husband chose a Harley and so did I. It seems to me the Harley riders are more "Die Hard." I mean I put 23,000 miles on my 07 already. I ride year round. I ride in the rain. I ride in the cold. I never even considered trailering on a long trip. My son, on the other hand, has not even hit 5,000 miles on his Ninja yet and he would trailer if he were going very far. My best friend is the same. She hardly has any miles. I just can't stay off mine. It has changed my life. The Sportster is not that expensive and there is so much you can do to customize it. The parts to customize with are actually cheaper than ones for metrics and much easier to find.

G
#41 ·
Made On The Planet Earth

I dunno, just a (typical?) crazy thought BUT.... how bout' if we just give up labeling stuff 'Made in the’ USA, Japan, China, Germany, or Tim-Buck-Too and just go with 'Made On The Planet Earth'?! :D And for all those who still insist on griping about this origin and that, we could start a Pro-Terran campaign like "Don't Buy That Mars & Venus Crud - Buy From Earth ONLY and be a Real Terran"! Point is the world is getting smaller (not bigger) everyday. And this Us versus Them schitt better come to an end in short order otherwise ain’t NONE of us gonna’ make it. Nuff' said?! :rolleyes:

LRG

Let’s Help Those Who Truly Can’t Help Themselves: Save a LIFE by making a donation to the Sturgis Animal Shelter at http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/SD02.html ;) Your Karma will thank you and so will the Critters!

G
#43 ·
I don't like the HD image, I'm not a big fan of cruisers, and you'll never catch me in a pair of chaps. But I love my FXR. It's just the feeling I get riding it, and I would never sell it. Not because it's American, I've owned and would own other bikes, but just for how it makes me feel. You either get that or you don't, either way, go with it, Gammaqueen is right.

Hollywood, don't let these guys bust your ba..ah...um...chops, if you like your bike, enjoy it. I waited over 20 years to get the bike I lusted after in High School, and it was worth every minute.

#44 ·
The HD factory is less than 50 miles from my house and I can tell you that the whole region around here is proud of Harley Davidson. It has been copied closely by the Japanese companies for no other purpose than to put it under. They pay their workers a good wage with all the fringe benefits all workers hope to get. Their product is envied the world over and people scrimp and save to own one. I've owned several and hope to own another before I'm done riding.

#49 ·
I agree with gammaqueen. It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you are riding and enjoying it. That's the reason for riding. If I had a bad day at work I like to get on my bike to unwind, on the weekends We (my wife and I ) will take off for overnight trips it" like little mini getaways We ride an ultra. Last weekend our youngest daughter rides a star and her husband rides a VTX joined us for a short trip I guess you could say it's a great way to do some family bonding

#59 ·
Yes, the Keihin REPLACEMENT carburetors were made in Japan, and SOME of the original equipment carburetors used in the 70's were too. MOST of the OEM used carburetors were made by Keihin USA in Indianapolis, Indiana. But as Dods pointed out, Harley does not make a bike anymore that uses a carburetor.

About 12% to 16% of the parts used to make a Harley are manufactured overseas. The amount depends on the model, with the V-rod having the most parts of foreign origin. For the most these parts consist of wiring, switches, and other electrical parts such as light bulbs. Many gaskets are also made overseas as are some bearings. There are many source countries for these parts such as Great Britain, Brazil, Australia, Germany, and Japan. There are no "large" parts still made overseas, with the possible exception of some cast wheels which are still being made in Australia.

How do I know this? When I was in Harley school we had to inventory the parts room which had at least one of EVERY part used by Harley to manufacture their motorcycles, and all parts, or their packagings, are stamped with the country of origin. The "12% to 16%" figues come from Harley-Davidson themselves.

So yes, they do use some parts made overseas. But every Harley-Davidson motorcycle available for sale in the United States is built in the United States.

#60 ·
All I can figure is you are either baiting the Harley faithful and the metric faithful to get into the usual war of words. Or you are pretty much oblivious to what has gone on since about 1980 both in world economy and in H-D.

If you are the former, what a shame that's all you have to do.

If it is the latter, suffice it to say there is little need for discussion here other than to back up the point others have made, that the parts are sourced from what is deemed the best maker (not just by H-D) and that H-D has a tremendous export business as well. In addition some of what might be deemed "Japanese" by the manufacturer's home may be made in an entirely different country (like Showa in Sunbury, Ohio for suspension). Good manufacturers will try to give back to markets to keep them going (like Honda, of which I believe Showa is a subsidiary) moving manufacturing in if feasible. It is also a hedge against inflation. When parts are made here, paid in dollars, the fluctuation of the yen has far less effect on domestic product and vice versa for foreign homeland production.

Harley is a world wide business, not just in the U.S. It ain't 1957 anymore - or 1967 for that matter.

#61 ·
A lot, if not most, of the "aftermarket" parts, accessories, trinkets, and clothing that are found in the dealership are stamped "Made in China". I think this might be where the "mostly made overseas" rumors might stem from.

Some of the cast aluminum wheels were made in Australia, but I heard that plant was closed down a couple of years ago. I don't know where they are made now.

#62 ·
Acording to MSN money report today 7/2/12 40% is not made here.
The front forks have been made by Showe for years, probably spelled wrong, and they it are owned by Honda. my rear shocks on my 01 Sporty E are also made there.

MSN says
Harley does import parts from vendors worldwide, making its bikes roughly 60% American-made. But it remains 100% American cool. Harley takes advantage of its image: Licensing revenue from its logo and trademark design brings in an estimated $40 million a year.

Attachments

#63 ·
"Acording to MSN money report today 7/2/12 40% is not made here.
The front forks have been made by Showe for years, probably spelled wrong, and they it are owned by Honda. my rear shocks on my 01 Sporty E are also made there."

MSN is mistaken. (Not that the news media ever makes mistakes.....) Like I said, 12-16% of the parts that go into a Harley are made overseas. Not 40%. I have put my hands on every part used to make a Harley. I doubt MSN has.

Showa forks for Harley's are made by Showa USA, which as Mark pointed out, is in Ohio. The parent company is Japanese owned, but the forks are 100% American made.

#67 ·
By the way, this whole percentage thing is kind of a waste. It's just an argument that is foolish when it comes to manufacturing in a world market. Realize that about 30% of Harley's sales are outside the U.S. The V-Rod is a hot seller in Europe and other countries. If they had the attitude there that some have here, Harley would be severely damaged by the loss of sales.

I guess I'm saying that old cliche - "Don't sweat the small stuff."

Don't let people bait you into BS discussions that are not winable and mean nothing. Of course we do learn about how industry spreads though. Nissin, NGK, Showa, Kayaba, Yuasa, Dunlop, and many others manufacturing in the U.S. Along with multiple foreign auto manufacturers.

Now if you really want to get peeved, consider that Volkswagen U.S.A. actually manufactures a diesel Passat that gets 60-70 mpg - legit - but it can not be sold in the U.S.A. due to EPA and DOT regulations. It' is Europe only. Who has control over the U.S. government? Give you one guess... and it starts with the initials Big Oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.