Motorcycle Forum banner

Stator

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Eye_m_no_angel 
#1 ·
History....My oldest brother(RIP) bought a new 89 Hugger, everything is perfect, in 93 he had a 1200 kit put on by Harley. Near the end of 93 the stator went, replaced, he died in 94....(time passes)....his son gets the bike had to replace the stator, before the year was out had to do it again, starting the next year it was out again and he just let the bike sit......for yrs and yrs

Next to oldest brother gets the bike, has it completely rebuilt, has it for a few months......stator is out again

At rebuild I suggested that since he was getting new jugs heads pistons that he turn it back to 883, I think the problem comes turning an 883 into a 1200........everybody that knows better says that can't be it, but no one seems to have any idea what the problem is, just put a new stator in it.

Any ideas?

#3 ·
It might indeed be because the increase in engine displacement is causing increased heat in the primary area. I don't know for a fact that's what's causing your issues, mind you, but it certainly is plausible. I'll ask around and see if anyone around here has any more specific ideas.

When I worked at one shop we used to get several cop bikes in that were frequently burning up stators due to the heat caused by frequent idling and increased electrical loads. We had a heckuva time figuring out what to do, and eventually someone from Harley gave us the idea to add an extra ounce of oil to the primary. That stopped the problem. Those were Big Twins, but it might be worth a try on your brother's XL.

#4 ·
Eye, it is amazing something as simple as an extra ounce of oil can fix and issue like that. Experience not books gives you that information.

#6 ·
I can't take credit for that idea though, as it came from the regional HD rep.

Dianne also makes a good point, and I just assumed that when the previous stators were replaced that the voltage regulator was replaced or checked as well. That would be the normal course when diagnosing the problem, but if it wasn't done then sure, it could be a faulty regulator that keeps causing the problem too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.