Motorcycle Forum banner

Superbike traction control shootout

3K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Dodsfall 
#1 · (Edited)
Traction control is all the rage these days. Computer-monitored wheel speed and other detection systems allow a rider to put just the right amount of power to the ground without flipping the motorcycle or burning off the rubber. Six superbikes were tested by Motorcycle USA to see which system was most effective.

Traction control keeps the rear wheel spin in check by monitoring the wheel speed and adjusting engine power electronically. Wheelie and take-off control are beginning to make their way into current systems as well. These systems are definitely not fool-proof, but can help experienced riders clock shorter lap times.

The motorcycles tested were the Ducati 1199 Panigale S, the BMW S1000RR, the MV Agusta F4, the Aprilia RSV4, the Kawasaki ZX10R, and the Yamaha YZF R1.

Each manufacturer has a slightly different take on how their traction control is implemented.

First up was the MV Agusta F4. The F4 doesn't use the more popular wheel speed sensors, but rather monitors throttle position and transmission gear position compared to the speed of the crankshaft. The computer retards the ignition timing to one or more cylinders if a spike is detected, lowering torque. No form of wheelie control is offered with the MV. The MV unfortunately actually recorded slower track times with the traction control turned on.

Next to be tested was the Ducati 1199 Panigale S. Ducati uses wheel speed sensors like the rest of the motorcycles in the test. The computer measures throttle position, gear selection, and the speed of both wheels. The ECU retards the spark to one or both cylinders to reduce torque to the rear wheel if slippage is detected. The Ducati system will also cut fuel injection flow if the retarded spark isn't enough. Like the MV, no wheelie control is included with the Ducati. Again, lap times were slower with the traction control engaged.

The BMW S1000R comes from the company who pioneered motorcycle traction control systems. In addition to the wheel sensors and other monitoring devices, BMW incorporate gyroscopes that take lean angle into account in the calculations. The BMW also has wheelie control, but the testers felt it slammed the front end down too harshly when it activated. Better track times were achieved using the traction control in the test.

The Kawasaki ZX10R has a unique traction control system in that actively compensates using a built in logic system, making the system feel a bit smoother as it kicks in. The testers felt even though the system was smoother, it felt too aggressive by cutting power too early. Faster lap times were achieved by leaving the traction control off.

The Yamaha R1 has wheelie control and also has the ignition and fuel restricted when the traction control kicks in. The system was rated as very gentle and not as obtrusive as some of the competition. The testers sometimes had trouble telling if the system was kicking in or not. Track times were virtually identical with the system on or off.

The most sophisticated system is installed on the Aprilia. With more sensors than the other motorcycles, including gyroscopes like the BMW, the traction control felt very gentle. Faster lap times were able to be made with the traction control engaged. Chris Siglin, one of the testers, had this to say, “I was blown away by how good the Aprilia’s TC was. I wasn’t expecting it to be that good. My favorite feature was how consistent and smooth it felt. I got comfortable with it right away, which gave me confidence to be aggressive on the throttle. The wheelie control was great too. I could be full throttle over hills and it would cut power just enough to keep the wheel barely hovering over the road. The Aprilia really nailed it with its set-up.”

The Aprilia came out on top as the best traction control system over all.

[Motorcycle USA]

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.