Motorcycle Forum banner

1972 Suzuki GT750

38K views 118 replies 35 participants last post by  bweighmaster 
#1 ·
Here is my restoration project. A 1972 Suzuki GT750: 6983 origional miles, Candy Lavender (pink) original paint. I have a Florida Antique tag on it and JUST got it running right today. I am now going to mov to the brakes, then suspension, electronics and then cosmetics. This has been in my family since it was bought new in 1972 by my grandfather in PA. Then my great uncle had it for a decade or so, then my uncle had it for a number of years and now it has been passed down to me afte sitting under a tarp in my uncle's garage for close to 8 years. Please give me your ideas, opinions and any tips you might have. Thanks, enjoy!

Attachments

See less See more
#29 ·
As I remember it was about the same price as the Honda 750 4 cyl. Both were in the US $2000. range.

For what it's worth, I have a Water Buffalo engine complete with radiator and carbs free to anyone who will pick it up. It ran when I got it for a long abandoned car (Berkeley) project.

:coffee:

Jon

#31 ·
I'll have to drag it out from under the bench to see how "nice" they are. I'll take a pic or two, post them here, and you can decide. I'd really rather give the whole shootin match to anyone who will come get it rather than go thru the hassle of taking it apart. :frown:

Jon

#45 · (Edited)
Very Nice! My ex-father in law has the same bike in his barn. It hasn't seen the light of day since the early 80's. He's been after me to get it.

Now that I've seen your bike; its got me thinking. If I do get it; it'll be in line... need to finish the 1966 HD FLH and then the 1971 CB175, but it will be cool dreaming about it.

Thanks for sharing

#50 ·
Jdot, I will go look in my garage. I am pretty sure I have the info your looking for. I used to run 20W 50 in the tranny if that is the spec your looking for. It was a bit thicker but it worked for years. I got 2 of these bikes I would love to restore someday... problem is some day never gets here.

#51 ·
That would be awesome! Yeah I read 5w20 in the motor and SAE30 2 stroke oil in the tranny, of course that was out of a 20+ year old resource, and the fact I've never worked on a 2 stroke doesn't really help lol I have a '04 R6 that I've worked on a lot, but yeah when it comes to the older one I have a big question mark above my head, I look forward to the learning process. That's awesome that you have 2 to restore, what years are they? I'm thinking of upgrading the drum brakes to disc, which I think they switched to in '73 or '74, but have read both good and bad on that...

#52 ·
Sorry I haven't got that info for you yet. I have been pretty busy. The 2 stroke oil goes in the container under the seat as its oil injected. The 20w 50 is actually the tranny fluid and If I recall it holds 250 cc's. Don't quote me on that yet. I have 2 of the 72 750's. One is in bad enough shape I may just use it for parts as I can't seem to find the oil seals I need to rebuild the motor in my other one.

#53 ·
Thanks for the info., at the risk of sounding like an idiot let me see if I got this right...I'm good on the 2 stroke oil only question there is if you might now off hand how much it holds, the 20w 50 is the tranny fluid NOT the engine oil? Do you know the weight of the engine oil? I thought I read 5w20 but then again I might be off, I also read it holds just under 2 qts., does that sound about right? Once again, sorry if I sound like a newb, which I am to these bikes, just don't want to take an already bad situation (state of the bike) and make it worse ....

#57 ·
Ok messed around with the bike this weekend, come to find out the new fuel lines that were put on were new and not cut to fit and never hooked to the carbs, does anyone have a pic of how theirs are routed? Trying to get some ideas. If you're sitting on the bike the carb on the far left and center are good, the one I have to finish is the one on the right. I thought I had it but when I set the petcock to prime that line won't flow, it's getting gas as I disconnected the fuel line and it is coming out of the petcock....thanks!

#58 · (Edited)
Jdot. On mine there are 4 fittings on the bottom of the petcock. When kneeling beside the bike facing the front the left fitting goes to the left most carb. The middle fitting goes to the middle carb and the right fitting goes to the right carb and the right most fitting is actually a vaccuum line that hooks to the left most carb close to where the carb meets the motor. There should be a fitting for it. You probably did not get a lot of flow as it needs the vacuum to flow right. Still looking for my manual as I don't even remember where the oil filter is.

#64 ·
Ok hooked the battery up yesterday surprisingly a lot still worked, the starter for one, lights, etc. However, while it turned over it would not start. I checked and it doesn't look like it's getting any spark, so starting with the simple thing first, plug wires. Any good ideas on where to find any online?

#66 ·
Ok so no spark at any of the points, so thinking perhaps condensers are bad, guess first thing is to clean each of the points to see if that helps, and then go from there. I've seen some people do an electronic replacement to the points but don't think I want to spend that kind of money right now, anyone had any luck in locating replacement condensers or points?

#68 ·
Thanks Chazz, I cleaned the points a bit and am getting spark now, need to gap them though as they're not sparking each time they open and close. Working on getting my hands on a feeler gauge. Next question, I was reading about adjusting the carbs and found a section noting that if you remove the hex nut that is above the air adjustment screw there is a piston in the carb with a bronze marking that should be just to the top of the opening when at full throttle. I achieve that at quarter of a turn at most, I've tried adjusting with the throttle cable that goes into the top of the carb with no success....thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.