Which would you prefer?

• Harley

Votes: 88 42.5%
  • Victory

Votes: 119 57.5%

Victory or Harley

138K views 564 replies 86 participants last post by  GatorJoe 
#1 · (Edited)
I hate to do this because I know what might come, but I'd love to hear other (respectful opinions). Please no "Victories are ugly" like I see a lot of on a HD forum I recently joined, and please no Harley bashing, neither will sway me.

Anyway, I'm looking for a nice well-rounded bike. I do mostly around town riding as I ride instead of drive as often as I can. However, I do some weekend trips, and I'd love to take a longer tour and take the motorcycle on vacation sometime.

I am really attracted to the Harley Sportsters, and while they'd be fine for the day to day riding, they wouldn't be great for my weekend trips and they'd be very poorly suited to a longer vacation. While there is a chance I'll do one anyway (maybe going with two older used bikes, a Sporty plus a touring bike, sports tourer or big cruiser), more likely, I'll buy one bike that is decently suited to both jobs.

I like a more stripped "custom" or bobbed cruiser look, but obviously I'll need removable bags, possibly a sissy bar, and possibly a windshield for trips. I will go removable for all of these, though with some styles a tall sissy bar looks good (and thus may be permanently mounted), and I may go with permanent bags since they are very useful for an everyday bike.

I have primarily narrowed it down to several Harleys (mostly Dynas, with one or two possible Softails) and Victories (the Kingpin, Judge, and Vegas). A couple Japanese bikes are on the list, but not for this thread and poll.

The pros and cons as I see them:

Harley pros: Better fit and finish, higher resale value (a pro if I buy new), high demand and easier to sell when I am ready to replace it, lots of support and aftermarket parts.

Harley cons: Expensive (though most Dynas aren't too bad), higher resale value (a con if I buy used, and I'll probably buy used), less power, a little less nimble, cruise control is only available on the touring bikes and not the Dyna (a possible issue for long trips, though I can keep my Crampbuster I have now).

Victory pros: Less expensive to buy (new or used), great looking designs, a little more unique (I live a mile from a HD dealer and in a very HD town- it seems for every other bike you see, you see 5 Harleys), better performance, cruise control is available even on the cruisers (with the exception of the Judge).

Victory cons: Most don't seem to fit me as well as HDs, dealer support network (though only a problem if I move, there is a Victory dealer about 2 miles from my apartment), lower resale value and less in demand when I eventually go to sell, not quite the same level of fit and finish, fewer are sold new so there won't be nearly the selection if I buy used (which might make it a long search, or force me into buying new to get what I want).

Both companies make a reliable American made motorcycle these days. What would you go with out of these options and why?

See less See more
#2 ·
I think you will find the new pricing fairly similar between comparable motorcycles. Depending on model, they are going to see-saw a bit in price comparison with some being cheaper and others not.

I'd recommend shopping around until you narrow it down to a couple models (or one) of each brand. Sit on them, compare pricing and make a list of pros and cons for each.

The right motorcycle will make itself apparent to you.

#4 ·
Looked at and sat on a used Victory Kingpin today at my local HD Dealership, Not real impressed. Also sat on HD new Switchback, nice bike, I would lean more towards HD. The fit and finish was one of my top reasons for going HD. The switchback may be what your looking for, in that the bags and windshield are easily removable and come as standard equipment. Prices are very comparable and HD is running a special on low interest rates right now.

#491 · (Edited)
^+1
For example, a LOT of improvements were made to the HD Twin Cam engines in 2007......if you look at an earlier HD Twin cam powerplant ( 2006 and earlier), plan on some updates to the powerplant,New Oil Pump,Bearing Plate, Cam Chain tensioners etc. Just my opinion, check with Eye for clarification. I had Cam Chain Tensioners and related hardware issues with my 2003 HD Twin Cam Engine on my Heritage, but Dealer's service department took care of me on them since I had bought an extended warranty, only cost me $50, wouldda been a LOT more if I hadnt had that Extended Warranty, Later had an issue with a Leaking Shift Shaft Seal, again my cost $50, since Primary had to be removed and dissassembled to access the seal, wouldda been a lot more!.and Service department went ahead and updated my Primary Chain tensioner while they were in there.If I may suggest, going to different dealers and trying the bikes on is best approach in my opinion, as others have stated, once you sit on and get the feel of the "Right Bike" , you'll know it!
If you are like me and too darn Old or you arent real technically inclined, consider at least looking into an extended warranty ,most brands offer one, my bike was used and when I bought it HD offered one, it wasnt expensive , was included in the payment, has a "Co-Pay" of $50!;) and has already saved me a couple Thousand bucks! Again, That's just my personal experience and Opinion, others may have a different opinion.. Thats their right.
AS I WAS SAYING ABOUT "OLD AGE">>>JUST NOTICED THIS IS AN OLD POST!! OH WELL! SORRY! ED
Regards
Ed

#6 ·
I am really attracted to the Harley Sportsters, and while they'd be fine for the day to day riding, they wouldn't be great for my weekend trips and they'd be very poorly suited to a longer vacation.
Victory cons: Most don't seem to fit me as well as HDs,
I'm a little over 6 feet tall and I'm really concerned about a Sportster having too small of a frame for someone my height, no one wants to feel cramped especially if it compromises safety. I really like Victory's though I've yet to visit a Victory dealer. May I ask why a Victory does not fit you and do you mind if I ask what is your height? I like the Vegas, Kingpin, and Sportster but I know a Victory is a very bad choice for an entry level bike so I'll have to ride an entry level bike for the first year or so and that's where the Sportster comes in - if it's not too small for me - I have a 34" inseam. I'm going to take the MSF course and I'll be buying my very first bike. Thanks in advance :)

#16 ·
May I ask why a Victory does not fit you and do you mind if I ask what is your height?
I don't think it has to do with my height. Just some Victories don't feel right when I sit on them. The bars on some are very long and the reach feels a little unnatural, though it may be something I'd get used to with time. This is the case for the Kingpin and Cross Country/Roads (the bikes I like the best as far as looks). Also, with the Cross Country/Roads, where you sit and how the pipes are set up, my right leg naturally comes down off the boards right up against the pipes. Even when thinking about it and trying to position my leg differently, about 70% of the time I brush right up against them. Would make for some painful riding. The Vegas isn't a problem.

As for height, I am 5'11", though most of that is in my torso and I have a fairly short inseam for my height (30").

distantThunder said:
Both HD and Victory have got nice bikes.
I think the best solution is for you to sit on these bikes - and choose the one that really fits your body.

I actually ride a Yamaha cruiser - which I chose because of fit, performance and price. If you've got previous experience on cruisers and you want great performance for reasonable cost - check the Yamaha Raider.
While this thread is just Harley and Victory, I do have a thread about everything I'm considering. I'm not looking at the Raider, mainly because it is premium fuel only (I had a car that was premium only, not interested in paying an extra $0.30 a gallon). I am looking at the Yamaha Stryker though, the 1300cc may be enough (from what I read it seems like a pretty good engine) and it takes regular gas. Though, it has been around a few years longer so I might be better able to find a used Raider and save enough to cover a few years of the gas price difference.

#7 · (Edited)
I cannot comment on the Victory fit-n-finish, but I actually prefer the look of the Victory line up to most of the HD's. Look and comfort were the biggest issues (out of many) that swayed me to my HD 48. That being said, if I were looking for something bigger than 1200cc or for touring purposes, I like the look of the Victory bikes more than any other brand. Also, the spec sheets seem like you are getting more bang for your buck than with the HD.

Just a casual observer's opinion.

BTW: I'm 5'10" tall and weigh 185lb. The sportster 48 with the forward controls and the Mustang seat is extremely comfortable for me. My 14 yr old son is about 6 feet and weighs 220lb. He looks good on the bike too.

#8 ·
BTW: I'm 5'10" tall and weigh 185lb. The sportster 48 with the forward controls and the Mustang seat is extremely comfortable for me. My 14 yr old son is about 6 feet and weighs 220lb. He looks good on the bike too.
Did you replace the shocks on your Sportster because I read the ride is very bad and hard on one's spine when going over bumps with the shocks that come with it out of the showroom. If you replaced them what brand of shock did you wind up purchasing?

#9 ·
Both HD and Victory have got nice bikes.
I think the best solution is for you to sit on these bikes - and choose the one that really fits your body.

I actually ride a Yamaha cruiser - which I chose because of fit, performance and price. If you've got previous experience on cruisers and you want great performance for reasonable cost - check the Yamaha Raider. That bike works well for tall people (incl. me).

However ... I certainly commend your attitude about wanting to support American companies. If you go with HD, you might want to post on the HD forums and ask people specifically about the reliability of the model you want to buy. HD's can require significant maintenance ... but I'm sure it depends on year amd model. I would suggest that you don't get the Sportster with the engine under 900 cc. I think they've got a model with a 1200 cc engine, right. Definitely get that option, if it's affordable.

I have not heard anything bad about the Victories - if you like them ... I wouldn't hesistate to get the model that works for you.

dT

#10 ·
HD's can require significant maintenance ... but I'm sure it depends on year amd model.
What maintenance items exactly are required for Harley Davidson that are not required on other brands of comparable motorcycles?

I personally can't think of a single item that requires more maintenance over another brand of V-twin. Maybe there is something I am missing....

#12 ·
I voted Harley Davidson because well.... I own one :) but I really like The Victory brand as well. I was actually deciding between the V Rod and the Hammer S, but 19k for the Hammer? No thanks you're better off buying a Diavel Carbon for 20k. So I went with the 14k Night Rod Special.

I do like the Victory Vegas a lot, it's A great looking bike, just I like a little performance with my cruisers lol.

#13 ·
"I personally can't think of a single item that requires more maintenance over another brand of V-twin. "

No .. it's not parts or items. Just overall reliability.
Some of the HD's have the reputation of spending more time in the garage, and less time on the street. But like i said, it probably depends on the year and model.

dT

#14 · (Edited)
Some of the HD's have the reputation of spending more time in the garage, and less time on the street.
That sounds like an old wives' tale with no facts to back it up.

Believe me, I've heard a lot of them over the years. It usually starts: "they say" or "I heard" or "someone I know". :D

That may be said of motorcycles made 40 years ago, regardless of brand, when the life span of a motorcycle was about 40,000 miles, but things have changed a lot in the last 1/2 century or so.

I can vouch for the reliability first hand. I personally have put several hundred thousand miles on HD EVO engines (currently their oldest design) over the years with out a single lick of trouble. I maintain them well, sticking to the maintenance schedule, and don't try to "improve" the power train with mods that may burn the engine up or wear it out prematurely. If treated properly, modern engines will get well over 100,000 miles out of them without breaking a sweat.

#17 ·
My Sportster uses a recommended 91 octane gas, which is difficult to find here. The octane available in this area are generally 87, 89, and 93.

There is generally only a 20 cent spread on the prices between the 87 and 93 octane fuel here. The cost difference per mile at say 45 mpg is less than 1/2 cent. Over 100,000 miles that comes up to about $400 total difference in cost using 93 octane over 87. A heck of a lot more money will be spent in oil changes and tires over that period. Saving money is good, but fuel grade is not really a huge concern in the big picture.

Most of the year I can use 89 octane. In the hottest part of the summer I go with 93, and in the cooler months the 87 works fine without pinging.

Every brand and model is going to work a bit differently, but some careful experimentation might save a few bucks at the pump.

#19 ·
"I do have a thread about everything I'm considering. I'm not looking at the Raider, mainly because it is premium fuel only (I had a car that was premium only, not interested in paying an extra $0.30 a gallon)."

There may be lots of reasons to buy a Harley or a Victory.
But the comment above is not a good reason to skip the Raider.
The bike does take premium fuel ... but in a pinch it can run on lower grade fuel. If you have an emergency and there's no premium gas available, you can run it on the next lower octane. Life doesn't fall apart.

If you want great gas mileage, you might not want to consider a cruiser. Heavy bikes with big V-twins won't get you to good gas mileage. You need smaller bikes and engines. On the other hand - if you do go with a cruiser then forget about the cost of gas. It's a minimal consideration - for the type of riding you will be doing. You might want to check the SIZE of the gas tanks on the bikes. It's helpful to have a bike with more than 4 gals. The Raider only has 4.2 gals, and really Yamaha should have designed a 5 gal tank (or bigger).

cheers,
dT

#20 ·
I whittled my search down to a Heritage Softail and a Kingpin. I felt that there were a great many similarities, but I liked the 'Pin's throttle response and seat position. Oh, and the price...about 6k in difference between years (2008), so I couldn't justify the extra cost. I decided on Victory. So far...good choice!

#21 ·
I know I'm always swinging back and forth on this, but right now I'm leaning towards less expensive options. Either keeping my bike and trying some mods to make it more touring friendly, or a slightly older used big cruiser or touring bike. Either spending another $1-2K on my bike (seat, better bags, possible suspension upgrade) or selling it and putting that money plus another $2-3 ($6-8K total) on a used big cruiser or touring bike. I'll start with a Mustang or Saddlemen seat for my current bike and see how much difference that makes and decide from there. That basically means an old Harley or a late model used Victory or Japanese bike. With those choices it will be a Japanese bike or the Victory. Of course, until I make a decision I'll probably reconsider a couple times, but with the prospect of being debt free other than student loans (but including being free of my car and motorcycle loans) within 3 years, and totally debt free 3 or 4 years after that (well, other than a future mortgage) has me doing some re-thinking.

#22 ·
When we bought our first Harley we really looked at the Victory's as well. At the time Victory did not offer ABS across it's entire touring line. There is not nearly the aftermarket support for the Victory's. There are far fewer total Victory dealerships across the country, and since we really do travel on the things we wanted the potential support if needed. Most importantly, the folks at the local Harley dealership, as well as all of the dealerships that we shopped at were very nice. The people at the closest Victory dealership were condescending to me and actually rude to my wife.
Decision made. 3 Harleys later I am very glad to have made the decision I did.

#23 ·
One thing I have noticed...Victory owners used to be a secluded little group of riders, now that Victory has gained popularity and sales, their riders are....how can I say.... The "New Harley Davidson Riders".

They have that cocky ego and think their bike is better than everyone elses, especially HDs. Yeah I understand thats how HD owers used to be... well some still are, but I just think its funny how out of nowhere Victory owners just came out fists flying guns a blazing.

Just a little something I have observed.

#30 · (Edited)
I voted Victory. I own both a Victory and a BMW GS Adventure bike.......and while I dont OWN a Harley alot of my club brothers do and Ive spent more than a few miles on one. A Harley is not any more maintenance intensive or unreliable then any other bike....at least not any measurable amount.....its all internet BS.

Ive put the most mile on a Street Glide......nice enough bike. Im 6ft4in and while it wasnt AS roomy as my Victory Vision it was plenty comfortable enough. It definitely did NOT have near the power my Victory does.....but then its lacking in displacement (96ci vs 106ci). I recently went into the HD dealer to try out there new 103ci bike....assuming it would have more power. The HD dealer actually said "dont bother, you wont notice the difference". Apparently it really wakes up with cams and a fuel controller but its rather disappointing stock. Id still consider a Steet Glide if I was in the market.....but my Vision is doing everything I need and more.

Hey you better shut your trap about my superior bike or I will have to come over there with my brothers (we will all be wearing doo rags, chaps and our cuts) and kick your.......

:biggrin:

I went on a ride with the local Victory Motorcycle Club.....and was kinda disillusioned with the turn out. The "President" had a completely spotless bike.....it was his third Victory and it had almost "gasp" 5K miles on it......the one he had before that he had put something like 12K miles on in 3 years.......he was more about accessories then riding. (actual mileages may vary....it had been a few months ago and I really dont give that much of a **** to remember....but you get the point)

I showed up on my Victory.....you couldnt even tell what color the damn thing was for all the road grime on it......it was a few months shy of 2 years old and had 50K miles on it.

These guys were the all matching gear, spotless bike, professional type.....nice guys though.

I was doing the dirty biker thing (quite well in my opinion.....Im not even sure I showered that day, it was nice out and it would cut into my ride time).

#24 ·
You should have given the choice of "Neither", or added some other brands. Other than emotional prejudice there is no reason to exclude the Japanese brands or other non-US manufacturers. And if you realize how many non-US made parts go into both HD and Victory it makes the concept of "US made" less than persuasive. Harley and Victory bikes are primarily cruisers, and I have owned and ridden outstanding cruisers from Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha (but I have not owned a Suzuki). I currently ride a Triumph. Personally I think you can get a lot more for the same cost as a HD or Victory by looking at other alternatives, but each to their own.

#25 · (Edited)
I was curious what people thought of these two brands, and why. I am also considering some Japanese cruisers (and a few Japanese and BMW adventure bikes). However, I left that for another thread.

As for the brands you mentioned, some are on the radar.

I'm not very interested in Honda unless some changes are easy. I think their designers pen a very nice design and they look good in photos (I love the design of the Interstate, Stateline, and Shadow RS). However, in execution they seem to cut too many corners (not just using plastic, but using cheap and very plastic looking plastic, and overly obvious seams on the tank). However, if most of the chrome parts can be replaced with metal I'd consider the Interstate.

I'd consider Triumph, I really love some of their models. However, the dealer support is worse than with Victory. At least around here, it isn't too hard to find a Victory dealer (offhand I know of 3 within about an hour, including one about 5-10 minutes away). There don't seem to be a lot of Triumph dealers anywhere (an issue if I have problems on the road), and the closest dealer to me is over an hour away.

I have mixed feelings about Suzuki. Mine is my first bike, so there is some sentimental feeling there, and they do have some nice classic styling. However, I think they too cut some corners and some parts just feel cheap. Further, while my bike might not have started due to sitting, the engine outright seizing after starting after sitting about a month since I had last started it makes me a bit nervous. I also hear there are some issues with the most likely Boulevard I'd go with (the C90), though if I go with an adventure bike the V-Strom 650 and the larger V-Strom will be high on my list.

I do like both Yamaha and Kawasaki and both have some bikes on my short list. Yamaha especially makes some very nice bikes with workmanship and fit and finish that comes close to Harley and may exceed Victory IMO.

#27 ·
I voted Harley. I used to own a VTX and was lookind for something a bit more comfortable that I could do some touring on. A friend let me ride his 08 Electra-Glide and I was sold.
I looked briefly at Victory but just thought they were a bit homely. I have a bud that just bought a Kingpin last summer and loves it, but something about them I just don't care for.

So far I have almost 10k on my bike and haven't experienced the extra maintenence and care. (Other than polishing the awesome chrome and beautiful paint.) ;)

#28 ·
I didnt vote because i would vote for both...The only Harley I have experience with is an 883 Low I owned that was converted to 1200...Compared to my 1100 V-star, the ride was rough, it vibrated like crazy, and the suspension was horrible(something like 2 inches of travel?)..

But you also have to take into consideration im almost 6'2 and weigh 190 pounds. Not exactly a bike for my size, lol.

The one thing it did have going for it was a great clutch though.

But yeah, either brand really. I think both look great...The new Judge may be the best looking bike I have ever seen...The V-rod and Crossbones coming in a close second and third..

#31 ·
I'm not sure I'm still considering the Victory. They aren't that much cheaper than Harley (new) and when I test rode a couple Harley bikes recently (the Street Bob and Nightster) I really fell in love with them (especially the Street Bob). If I see a really nice used deal I'll still consider them, and due to prices I am considering a few Japanese bikes quite strongly (Honda Stateline/Interstate and Fury, Yamaha Stryker, a new 2010 Yamaha Stratoliner Deluxe a local dealer has for $13K, and a new 2011 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero a NJ dealer has for about $13K). Actually, I'm most strongly considering a used Street Bob (around $10K for 2-3 years old), used HD touring bikes (there are a few, 20-40k miles, 3-5 years old, for around $12-14K: mostly Road Kings but a few Street Glides), maybe a 1200 Sportster (even though they won't be much better on the highway than my bike), a new 2011 Stryker for $9K, and the Stratoliner or Vaquero.

#32 ·
I'd say Victory because I own a Honda VTX and I think the Victorys are engineered more closely to the metrics than the HD's. I seriously considered going HD when my VTX was a year old. I rode every model and none of them rode as well as my VTX. Don't get me wrong, the HD's are really nice, but at the end of the day, my VTX was flat-out a better riding machine. Then there's the math: I could buy 3 or 4 VTX's for the price of one HD. So there you have it!!

#37 ·
Good analysis, aaronK. I did not want to be the person to refute the VTX statement because I am a HD fan.

I think I'm also quick to point out the goods and bads of all brands too. BUT... when I was looking to buy myself that "new" bike, perceived value meant a lot to me.

I liked the Honda 1300 custom line from afar -- not up close. Did not even hold a candle to my two finalists: the V-star and the HD Sportster 48. Bang-for-the-buck was appealing with the Yammie, but the fit-and-finish (and look) of the 48 won me over.

All that being said, I'm still impressed with the Victory touring bikes. :coffeescreen:

#41 ·
I voted Victory mostly because I own one and love it. My Kingpin really was a dream come true. It doesn't break, it is cheap to maintain, it looks good, it draws attention.

I wish I knew what fit and finish means, to that I cant say anything. If you are saying the pieces don't go together well or that it isn't manufactured well, I would have to say you are wrong. In my own opinion HD's just look like some one took a frame and put parts on them, the victory looks like the parts were made to go together. Anyway I hate it when people say fit and finish is or isn't good, it just sounds like a generic "I have no idea what I am talking about, but want to sound important" statement.

For a long time people complained about the thunk noise the Victory tranny makes when shifting. After Victory tried to explain it is the nature of the transmission design and that failed they slapped a 100,000 mile warranty on it to prove it is good.

I can't say much about HD i don't have experience with them they have never been my style.

If I think of anything else to say about the Victories I will post.

#44 ·
I voted Victory mostly because I own one and love it. My Kingpin really was a dream come true. It doesn't break, it is cheap to maintain, it looks good, it draws attention.

I wish I knew what fit and finish means, to that I cant say anything. If you are saying the pieces don't go together well or that it isn't manufactured well, I would have to say you are wrong. In my own opinion HD's just look like some one took a frame and put parts on them, the victory looks like the parts were made to go together. Anyway I hate it when people say fit and finish is or isn't good, it just sounds like a generic "I have no idea what I am talking about, but want to sound important" statement.

For a long time people complained about the thunk noise the Victory tranny makes when shifting. After Victory tried to explain it is the nature of the transmission design and that failed they slapped a 100,000 mile warranty on it to prove it is good.

I can't say much about HD i don't have experience with them they have never been my style.

If I think of anything else to say about the Victories I will post.

Not too many things piss me off, but insulting trype from someone who types like their own personal shyte doesn't smell does.

"Fit and Finish" to some people mean the way inwhich a product is put together. The seams. The paint quality. The space in the gaps. Are you the only person in the Unted States of America who does not know what "fit and finish" means???

I'm happy you love your Kingpin. I guess anyone who doesn't must have no idea what they're talking about. Must feel good to be so friggin smart.

:thumbsdown:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.