Motorcycle Forum banner

First bike => Tourer/ Sport Tourer

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Biker Dash 
#1 ·
Hi,
I'm 18 years old and live in Switzerland. I'm looking to buy my first ever motorbike. It has to be a Tourer or Sports tourer with sidecases and a topcase, has to have a windshield and has to be comfy. I'm 6"1'....
Furthermore it has to be able to be reduced to 34PS / 25 kw ... because that's all that new riders are allowed to ride here... any ideas? I'm planning on riding to Spain and back next Autumn... :)

#3 ·
I doubt you will find a factory sport tourer that can be reduced to that low power. You might be better off getting something like a Ninja 250 or reduced power Ninja 500 and adding bags and a case to it. I used a Ninja 500 as a sport tourer, with saddlebags and tank bag, for 15,000 miles.

Even my Concours C10, which is a 24 year old design, makes 90hp and 60ftlbs at the wheel, or 91PS and 81Nm.

I'm not familiar with what other bikes you might have over there, Europe has a lot of cool, smaller/less powerful bikes that they don't sell here in the US.

#4 ·
Another option would to buy a Shadow VLX. I think that the power level of that bike is sufficiently low that you might not have to do any retuning. Plus, you can easily find bags, a windshield, and other accessories for it that will make your touring experience that much more enjoyable.

#7 ·
It could be, as I am not familiar with the terms he used.
"Furthermore it has to be able to be reduced to 34PS / 25 kw ... "
but most European countries limit new riders to 250cc bikes. I could be wrong about specifics in Switzerland. But you would need something with a little oomph to get up the switchbacks in the mountains. The only thing is that the little Ninja does not have much of a windsheild, although larger ones can be fitted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.