Motorcycle Forum banner

Hearing loss is linked to motorcycle riding

47K views 94 replies 35 participants last post by  mygingerliness 
#1 ·
Safety studies for motorcycles have been done for many years. Helmets, jackets, gloves, and boots come in many different styles and brands offering quite a bit of protection for riders. One item that hasn't been studied very much is damage caused by riding to a motorcyclist’s hearing.

One in ten Americans suffer enough hearing loss to hamper their ability to understand a normal conversation. Exposure to excessive noise plays a large part in hearing loss. Wind noise at highway speeds can top 100 decibels, putting it in the same category as a chainsaw. Riding without a helmet can increase the potential for hearing loss, causing some permanent damage in as little as 30 minutes.

About 26 million Americans have high frequency hearing loss caused by exposure to loud sounds at work or play according to the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders.

Wind noise, rather than loud pipes, is the largest culprit when it comes to hearing loss from riding. While a loud exhaust system can cause damage to the ears at low speeds, traveling at speeds over 40 miles an hour is where wind noise can reach dangerous levels.

85 decibels is the point at which hearing loss has the potential of occurring, according to OSHA studies. Wearing noise-reducing ear plugs is the easiest way to keep wind noise from damaging a rider's hearing.

[Motorcycle.com]

See less See more
#34 ·
The premise to the objection to ear plugs is of course, the concern that the motorcyclist is hampering his or her ability to hear oncoming traffic or horns, etc..

I, for one, want to protect my hearing, but........I am guilty of wearing a half-helmet and no ear plugs.

Have I considered ear plugs? Yes. Do I see the value in wearing them? Yes. Am I stubbornly avoiding doing it? Yes.

-Soupy

#37 ·
I had ear plugs molded at the audiology clinic, they fit my ears and my full face helmet doesn't bother them at all. I have speakers in my helmet and can listen to music, phone, or wife and still protect what little hearing I have left. Unfortunately, when I grew up, hearing protection was not a big thing. I hunted, rode motorcycles, and spent days on tractors without it, then I owned a lawncare business for 35 years, but only the last few did I wear any ear protection. I have lost 60% of my hearing. If I had it to do all over again, I would have done everything possible to keep my hearing at 100%. Now I have to save what little I still have.

#41 ·
I started wearing earplugs within a week or so of starting to ride, and I agree, it helped a bunch with fatigue. It seemed weird to me, but it wasn't the sound of the bike as much as it is the constant wind noise!

Granted I've always (so far) ridden very basic bikes, no windscreen, etc but eve still I can't imagine *not* using them. I can still hear ambient noises, other cars and emergency vehicles better on the bike w/ earplugs than I can w/o earplugs in my wife's Lincoln!

#42 ·
Hello y'all, I am new to the forum and I have already learned so much. I have been riding bikes of all shapes and sizes for many years but never wore hearing protection. I am a professional lawn care worker for a local ski resort with a lot of grass to mow. My crew and I mow and trim over 100 acres every week in the off season. I wear protection when I mow and now it makes perfect sense to wear it when I ride. My '08 gsxr 750 isn't super loud but the constant wind is deafening. Thanks for the insight.

#43 ·
As a drummer, I have a constant concern about my hearing. I have noticed a loss from when I was younger in very hard loud metal bands. I wore ear protection then but that kind of nightly exposure and volume will have its affect. I also studied what causes ear damage and believe it or not, a constant sound will cause damage. So the wind noise you get on a long trip even with a full face can damage your hearing unless you get sound level variation. I will often talk out loud to myself just to interrupt the noise and provide my ears with variation.

#44 ·
I'd recommend custom ear plugs, around $120? Worth every penny, and they will last several years. Hearing loss is permanent, no going back. I wear my custom plugs when mowing the lawn, or using any power tools that make a lot of noise -- it all damages the hearing. Tinnitus is not fun, either. Cheers!
:coffee:

#45 ·
Custom ear plugs do last forever. I still have the pair my company made us wear from 68 time frame. I got a second pair a few years ago thinking maybe the years would have changed the fit. I actually like my old ones better. The old ones are hard. The new ones are of a flexible material. I honestly don't remember if the first pair was flexible and just got hard over the years or not. Too darn long ago. Both work the same though.

#53 ·
The usual recommendation I've seen, is 32 dB. My custom ear plugs are rated only 28 dB, but they work well enough -- could not find customs at anything higher than 28 dB. Used foamies for the first year, but after a few hours, the ear canals became quite sore... Had to go with custom-fit plugs, which last around 6 hours before pain sets in. We tour, spending around 7 hours riding some days, so we need longer comfort than foamies can give us. YMMV. Cheers!
:coffee:

#54 ·
Hearing is fine.

Just had my hearing tested, at three different fequencys my hearing hit the line for hearing the quitest sound that is said to be possible to hear. All other frequencys were way above average. I don't ride with ear protection, I use a open helmet, I have worked in a woodworking shop, and I am married...go figure.

#55 ·
And how old are you and how many years have you been exposed to these sounds? That makes a huge difference. But I certainly wouldn't push my luck. My hearing vanished over night in one ear. Totally unexplained.

#57 ·
I am 50, been riding since I was 18. Have rode throughout most of North America, so hundreds of thousands of miles, in 2011 almost 30,000 miles alone. Woodworking...well been doing that before it was cool to wear ear protection, although I do wear it in the shop now, married coming up on 30 years (this is the one that really should cause damage). So I have been well exposed to the noise.

Grumpy The Biker
GrumpyBiker.com

#58 · (Edited)
Count your blessing grumpy. Like I said, mine went over night. Once gone it's gone too.

I've heard the only part of the human body that can't repair it's self are teeth but if that's so I really don't know why they say once your hearing is gone it's gone. But they do. That would indicate there are two parts that can't repair.:confused:

#61 ·
You are going to have to get an older bike or do cam and tuning work to get that potatopotatopotatopotato on your bike.;) I'm honestly not sure you can safely do it even with yours. Twin cams like a higher idle to keep the oil pressure up. Eye would know if it can be done though.

#60 ·
Grumpy.

Hi Grumpy, if I did not say so already.

I am across the puddle on Gabriola Island, near Nanaimo. I am often in South Surrey White Rock area. Most of the time on a bike.

Just connected a turntable that I inherited, had Pink Floyd playing. If I crank it up I think you will hear it.

Unkle Krusty*

#63 ·
I have ALWAYS protected my hearing - so much so that I wont go to a movie without ear plugs in my purse because they play the sound TOO LOUD!

Around town I may go without my ear plugs but I stop and put them in when leaving town.

If a cop stopped me and ticketed me for wearing ear plugs, I'd file a complaint under Heath and Safety for endangering my hearing and let the government fight it out among themselves. (Assuming the law was written so poorly as to ban hearing protective devices.)

#66 ·
And here I thought it was my hearing that made it difficult to hear over the background music or noise. Huh, what do you know. Learned my quota for the day.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.