Motorcycle Forum banner

2000 Yamaha Vstar 1100 Starting issue

10K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  slick nick 
#1 ·
I got my vstar about a month ago not running. Was told I only needs to replace the starter module. So I replace that, replaced the stator and pickup coil, replaced a handful of different relays. Got all the lights to work properly and seem to have everything in the correct place, but when I press the starter button nothing happens. Doesn't try to turn over. Took it to a friend who plugged a power probe into the starter module and got the bike to start, but it won't turn over by pressing the button. My initial though was that a safety in the neutral or the kickstand has malfunctioned. Could I relocate the starter button further back to bypass these? Also there is a light blue wiring disconnected on the left side of the bike. Looks like it's going toward the transmission. Is this for the neutral switch, and would that be my issue? Or would I be better off buying a whole new wiring harness? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I would suspect the neutral switch as well.

Bypassing the switch is not the safest idea since it's there for a good reason. If you are unable to replace or repair it, simply bypassing the switch instead of relocating the starter switch is the best bet. Less to go wrong when it's kept simple.

#3 ·
Do you have an idea of how to bypass the switch? Seeing as I don't believ it is hooked up at the moment. The blue wire hanging down on the left side isn't attached and I can't see where it would attach to. Also the neutral light does not come on, only furthering my suspicions.

#4 ·
The neutral switch usually works in parallel, sort of, with the sidestand switch. If the sidestand switch indicates the stand is up, it should try to start with the clutch lever pulled. Unfortunately, if the neutral switch isn't working, the engine will die when the stand is put down. If you ground the loose end of the blue wire, the neutral indicator should light, and enable the starter with the stand down or up. Make sure it is really in neutral before starting, as, even with the clutch lever pulled, there is some drag through the clutch to the rear wheel.

#7 ·
I wouldn't go blindly grounding wires, hoping it works, and nothing smokes. You first need a reliable wiring diagram, so you can proceed with some idea of how things were supposed to connect, and can determine how they are connected.

#6 ·
the notorious yam

Yamahas are notorious.

well at least for putting gadgets on there that are designed to fail so they can stay in business...

Well thats how the business works!

So you have a starting problem... did the guy you got the bike from, pay his bills? Is the bke under a lien that you don't know about?
after you get through all this heart ache and pain, you need to ask yourself...

how did I get this thing home?
what impressed me to buy it?
how long should I play with it before I sell it?
Where(in the name of ^%$*# ) did all my money go?

Then after you get to the I need to go riding part.... Say things like...
This needs a diagnosis, and I need to take it to a Yamaha shop
or
Considering this problem, maybe i should talk with a yamaha dealer about a trade in...
or
Call the guy you got it from, tell him how much it cost you so far, and then get your money back...
or
go through it, make it your personal custom ride, change what ever needs changed, and make it work properly for you. You sir... are not... an idiot(at least I would hope not, after all, you did buy the bike in the first place!)

#9 · (Edited)
You can test wires without grounding them out using a volt meter. what I would do is get your hands on the wires that go to the ignition switch and pull the plugs or find access if you can near the switch. Take your volt meter and put the negative ground on the grounding terminal on the battery. Then test each wire with the positive terminal of the meter. This way, you will be able to find which lines are ground and which are active without shorting anything out.

I don't know how many wires go to the ignition, that would be a help. As far as in depth help on a forum, a home made wire diagram built via your observations would be needed. But with that volt meter you should be able to check and fix any wiring issue on that entire bike...

I imagine it may be impossible to thoroughly check your wires and make a diagram without removing at least the gas tank, but I am not sure of that with your model bike....I do know sometimes it makes life easier to remove a little and have space to work with though...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.