any advantage to left or right shift - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 04-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
sanford
Banned

sanford is on a distinguished road
Default any advantage to left or right shift

I'm guessing some bikes may have left or right, not sure, any pro/cons having gear shift on right side?

Since the back brake does little, may be more comfortable shifting with right foot, sorry if my questions are silly.
sanford is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 04-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
Martlet
Verified

Martlet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanford View Post
I'm guessing some bikes may have left or right, not sure, any pro/cons having gear shift on right side?

Since the back brake does little, may be more comfortable shifting with right foot, sorry if my questions are silly.
If your rear brake does little, you're doing it wrong.
Martlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
primalmu
2003 Bandit 1200 (naked)

primalmu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martlet View Post
+1

Personally, I think the layout we have makes sense. You've got your braking and throttle (i.e. speed adjustment) on the right side, and the clutch and shift lever on the left.
primalmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
sanford
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martlet View Post

I should of said the rear does not brake as much as front, but have been riding only 2 hours after many years
Old 04-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
sanford
Banned

yes see it makes sense, are there bikes with a diff combo then the conventional?
Old 04-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
Landarchstud
Master At Arms

Landarchstud is on a distinguished road

I work at a scooter shop that sells a bike where instead of a foot shifter, you shift it with a clutch on the left handlebar by twisting it up or down through four gears. I haven't ridden it but it looks like it could be fun but could also be a pain in the ass.
Landarchstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
Johnnystriple

Johnnystriple is on a distinguished road

I have a 1965 Triumph that still has the gear shift on the right side. I don't believe that any modern bikes out there have this combo any more.
Johnnystriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
Dodsfall
Administrator

Dodsfall is just really nice

The shifting and brake layout was made standard by DOT regulations about 40 years ago, at least in the US. Although it's legal to modify after purchase to a right shift or even a hand-operated shift, manufacturers must stick to DOT regulations in order to sell new motorcycles.

Flat tracker motorcycles built before that used a right side shifter since the left side of the motorcycle was usually near the ground in a turn.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dodsfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #9
Squally

Squally is on a distinguished road

Quote:
yes see it makes sense, are there bikes with a diff combo then the conventional?
I caught an episode of "Pawn Stars" where the guys were looking at buying an Indian motorcycle used during WWII. Everything was switched around...throttle on the left, clutch on the right, etc...Apparently this was done so guys could shoot from the cycle using their right hand without letting off the throttle.

They ended up buying the bike, but neither one would ride it home for fear of killing themselves since the controls were the opposite of what they were both used to.

They got it restored, and it looked pretty awesome.
Squally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #10
Biker Dash
Site Brony and Troll Eater

Biker Dash has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I can think of a con... since 99+% of bikes out there have their controls the same way, if you have something different, makes for more of a chance to eff it up
Old 04-22-2012, 08:36 PM   #11
markk53
Rough Writer

markk53 has a spectacular aura about

Since a majority of the bikes in around 1975 or so were left side shift that was the direction the DOT went, left shift/left clutch/right hand brake/right foot brake/right hand throttle.

The arguement for right hand shift is it sort of balances actions and uses both sides of the brain for each function, braking and shifting.

Having ridden both, starting on right hand shift Bultacos I like the right side shift. Almost got me in trouble when my brother and I traded trials bikes, my Sherpa T for his Yamaha TY250. I'm going over a drop off trying to brake with the shift lever - not too functional. Still, if you ride both a lot it becomes an automatic function within a short time.

The real fact is it doesn't probably make any difference when one is used to a bike. The good part is the universal nature of all bikes for road use having the same layout - well at least all bikes made since around 1975.

It's a push... a draw, a tie.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:07 PM   #12
sanford
Banned

Thanks reason I asked, is in highschool I rode a bike with right shift( probably Brit) that I found easy to shift... I'm re learning, so practice,practice
Old 04-25-2012, 08:57 PM   #13
murphyshuman
Rough Writer

murphyshuman is on a distinguished road

I rode an old Bultaco with a right shift as well back in the days of the dinosaurs. It was difficult for my dinky little brain to make the switch when I went to my Suzuki in 1979, I wouldn't want to have to switch back again.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:03 AM   #14
Eye_m_no_angel
Super Moderator

Eye_m_no_angel is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squally View Post
I caught an episode of "Pawn Stars" where the guys were looking at buying an Indian motorcycle used during WWII. Everything was switched around...throttle on the left, clutch on the right, etc...Apparently this was done so guys could shoot from the cycle using their right hand without letting off the throttle.

They ended up buying the bike, but neither one would ride it home for fear of killing themselves since the controls were the opposite of what they were both used to.

They got it restored, and it looked pretty awesome.
I had an opportunity to ride a VERY short distance on an Indian from the 30's that had, as you said, the throttle on the left, the clutch was operated with the foot, the gear shifter was lever on the tank, and the spark advance was a lever on the right hand grip. You actauly had to manualy advance the spark as you revved up the engine! I never got the bike out of second gear.
Eye_m_no_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:06 AM   #15
Dodsfall
Administrator

Dodsfall is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye_m_no_angel View Post
I had an opportunity to ride a VERY short distance on an Indian from the 30's that had, as you said, the throttle on the left, the clutch was operated with the foot, the gear shifter was lever on the tank, and the spark advance was a lever on the right hand grip. You actauly had to manualy advance the spark as you revved up the engine! I never got the bike out of second gear.
I might be afraid to get it out of first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dodsfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #16
LWRider
Challenged Mechanic

LWRider is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye_m_no_angel View Post
There was sure a lot going on when riding those bikes! We have it easy in comparison. I have a friend who has a few of those and it is interesting to see them get started, quite a ballet of coordination.

I don't think riding one of the right shift more modern bikes would be too bad; just a matter of getting used to it. In Grand Cayman, where I used to work, I could jump in a right hand drive or left hand drive vehicle without even thinking about it. I was afraid to try at first but found both to be pretty easy and natural (unlike negotiating their two-lane roundabouts that have sprouted up there recently--geez).

Cheers,

Mike

Last edited by LWRider; 04-26-2012 at 11:42 AM..
LWRider is offline   Reply With Quote