is my bike street legal? - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Forums > First Bike / New Rider

First Bike / New Rider This is the place where new riders can get help from community experts

Old 04-20-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
bhilden

bhilden is on a distinguished road
Default is my bike street legal?

Hello guys, I'm new to this forum (literally first post, sorry if I posted in the wrong forum) but anyways ill cut to the chase. When I was a kid I was given a 1967 honda cl scrambler. There is no paperwork on the bike and its so old that I don't even think it has a vin stamp on the frame, I've looked everywhere. My question is what do I have to do to be able to legally ride this bike in town. The bike is not stolen I'm positive of that was in my family for a long time. By the way I am in the state of washington.
Brandon
bhilden is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 04-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
bhilden

Also I don't believe its ever been registered, since it was used on a farm
Old 04-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
markk53
Rough Writer

markk53 has a spectacular aura about

There is a VIN number on the fork steering tube (head tube). You may have to do some work to get the title generated, but I'm sure it can be done. It is done all lthe time with "barn find" cars. You just need to go to the Washington State Department of Transportation to find out how to deal with a vintage vehicle where no title is available.

The CL is the very famous Honda CL72 (250) or CL77 (305) Scrambler. If you have a good complete one it will be well worth at least refurbishing. If it is not all corroded, it would be best to keep the original finish and patina making it a "survivor", which is starting to gain value over the overly restored bikes some do. In other words if it is fairly decent, clean it up and leave it alone. Maybe relace or redo wheeld, but if the frame and/or body parts are still good paint, leave them alone. Besides, it's just less work for you if you do.

Let me add if the bike was in your family if you can figure out who bought it and when you might be able to trace down a history of ownership to the point where it can be proven to not be stolen, which is the major concern. Heck, you might even be able to find the record of the titile and generate a replacement title from when it was sold.

Last edited by markk53; 04-21-2012 at 02:20 PM..
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:22 AM   #4
bhilden

There is no vin stamp on the bike frame. I've had other riders look for it. Its a cl 90 thanks for the help man
Old 04-24-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
mithuth
Master At Arms

mithuth is on a distinguished road

Start some correspondence with your local DMV and see what they tell you to do. Maybe it can be assigned a vin to make your life easier.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
LWRider
Challenged Mechanic

LWRider is on a distinguished road

Honda Bulletin #137:

"The location of the frame number on models CA100, CA 102, CA105, C110, S65, CM91,C200, CT200, S90, CT90, and CL90 is on the frame directly in front of the left side cover."

Cheers,

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #7
markk53
Rough Writer

markk53 has a spectacular aura about

Man, I thought you had the 250 or 305 when you said Scrambler, since that was what they were known as. The smaller bikes had the S.No. elsewhere as LW pointed out. Bummer, the 250/305 would have been way cool. Still, the small bikes would be a blast too.