Well, It wouldn't Be Right Without something Goin' Wrong - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 04-20-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
greyboyfan

greyboyfan is on a distinguished road
Default Well, It wouldn't Be Right Without something Goin' Wrong

Yeah, I was out riding with a buddy, had ridden some, stopped for lunch, then thought we'd ride a little further, over to the Twin Bridges area of Grand Lake in North East Oklahoma. Beautiful day in the mid 70's no clouds, and really not much wind. On the way back, 20 miles from home, I heard one little "chirp" sound, then two, a little further 3 or 4 more, and then I KNEW it was coming from MY front wheel. Yep! looks like I crushed a front wheel bearing.
I had to ride biotch back to get His truck and trailer. Back home safe in an hr. or so. anyway,...Heres the kicker,
I called the local dealer, and they wanted something like $70.00 plus tax just for 2 bearings and the races, for an '04 Vtx1800, just the parts!!! AND ofcorse, they had to order them, get 'em in about a week!! WHAT???
I called a place online, (I'll let ya know with a link later) but they had a "kit" with the left and right bearings With race seals for the Whoping price of $22.00 plus shipping. OEM bearing kit for less than 1 bearing at the local level,
"OK, I'll order them myself" "Thank you Prosports of Joplin. Always love talkin' to yaz, but I can't afford you".
greyboyfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 04-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
OldDeadeye
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye

OldDeadeye is a jewel in the rough

Were they "All balls" bearings? I saw a ton of threads on the VTX sites about front wheel bearing failures. If you need any instruction on replacing em I can probably dig up a link.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OldDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
cbdallas
Rough Writer

cbdallas will become famous soon enough

I order most of my stuff online for this reason. I'm all for supporting local businesses, but when it enters the realm of rape, I sit down in front of the computer.
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
greyboyfan

greyboyfan is on a distinguished road

Yeah, OTD I think it was "all balls" are you saying they have a history of failure, or the VTX's have a history of failure? I wouldn't doubt if it was with the bikes, they are pretty dang heavy, but ,...IDK. I started taking off the wheel, (Bearings aren't here yet though) I was thinking of just taking my wheel, and the new bearings to some reputable machine shop, maybe have them stick 'em in, for whatever their modest fee is. then pop it back on, myself. But Thanks for the offer.
greyboyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
Biker Dash
Site Brony and Troll Eater

Biker Dash has a spectacular aura about

Thats one reason Starting Line gets a lot of my business. When I needed a voltage regulator, Dave looked up the stock, and it cost a fortune, and woould take a week. He then looked on another site, and found one for less than half the price that was here in two days.

There are some places that actually look out for the customer.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
OldDeadeye
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye

OldDeadeye is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyboyfan View Post
Yeah, OTD I think it was "all balls" are you saying they have a history of failure, or the VTX's have a history of failure? I wouldn't doubt if it was with the bikes, they are pretty dang heavy, but ,...IDK. I started taking off the wheel, (Bearings aren't here yet though) I was thinking of just taking my wheel, and the new bearings to some reputable machine shop, maybe have them stick 'em in, for whatever their modest fee is. then pop it back on, myself. But Thanks for the offer.
The VTX is having problems, everyone seems to be replacing them with the "All Balls".
I figured you could handle the job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OldDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:45 PM   #7
goalie
Rough Writer

goalie is on a distinguished road

If you'd only had a Harley...
goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:48 PM   #8
Biker Dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie View Post
If you'd only had a Harley...
Then it wouldn't have made it a mile down the road from the dealership!
Old 04-21-2012, 12:12 AM   #9
Gereke
Super Moderator

Gereke is on a distinguished road

Today I learned that I'll need to replace my front wheel bearings soon-ish. Had a new front tire put on, and the service guy told me my bearings probably won't last anywhere near as long as the tire. (He even took me back and had me "feel" for myself. Yup, they're not spinning as smoothly as they should.)

Hopefully I can eek another couple of months out of them, but I don't want to have the chirping of my front wheel to be the indication it's time.

I'm also glad that my local dealer doesn't want to charge me an arm and a leg. $20 for each bearing, plus $30 labor, so $70 total for the job. Don't have the tools to do it myself
Old 04-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #10
Dodsfall
Administrator

Dodsfall is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gereke View Post
I'm also glad that my local dealer doesn't want to charge me an arm and a leg. $20 for each bearing, plus $30 labor, so $70 total for the job.
That is a very reasonable price.

Dodsfall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:32 AM   #11
Eye_m_no_angel
Super Moderator

Eye_m_no_angel is a jewel in the rough

All Balls makes very good products.
Eye_m_no_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #12
Gereke
Super Moderator

Since a couple of you guys gave the recommendation in this thread, I just ordered a set of All Balls bearings from bikebandit. Two bearing set, including shipping, was $16. I'll take that over $20 each for the OEM bearings.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #13
Biker Dash

Sounds like you got yourself a good deal Gereke!

Now get them in and get back to riding!!!!!
Old 04-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #14
Gereke
Super Moderator

My current bearings aren't shot yet, so I'm still riding.

As soon as I get the bearings on the front door step, I'll be heading to my local shop to have them installed. Could save another few bucks by doing it myself, but due to a tool shortage I'm having the dealer do it. Fortunately I like my local Suzuki shop. Small mom and pop business that treats customers well.

The only issue I have with them was being "forced" to stare at a couple of the new bikes they had on the floor while my tire was being replaced.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #15
Biker Dash

Now, couldn't they have been nice people and let you take one for a test ride while your tire was being replaced? lol

I should imagine that bearings are not all that difficult to replace. You dont have any friends who would have the proper tools you could borrow?
Old 04-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #16
Gereke
Super Moderator

Nope. I'm friendless when it comes to tool-having people. I've a basic socket set and screwdrivers which I use for routine maintenance on all of my vehicles.

I don't like messing with bearings unless I have a bearing tool handy. I don't have any sockets big enough to use as a psuedo-tool (as suggested in my Clymer manual). I think what I'm going to do is ask the service guy at the dealer if I can watch him replace the bearings (he should, he didn't mind when I was back in the service area for a bit watching him do the tire). That way I can learn by watching him so I can do it myself next time.

As for test rides while I waited.. I didn't even ask because I knew that would have been fun at first, then depressing knowing I couldn't later go: "Say.. maybe I'll just trade my S40 in on that new C50T or that GSX1250FA".

Well, that and the fact the guy that did my tire was the ONLY person there at the time. So he was having to work in my tire, answer the phone, talk to other customers that came in etc. I don't kid when I say it's a small business.