Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
JetFalcon
Banned

JetFalcon is on a distinguished road
Default Test drove a Can-am

I test drove a Can-am at a demo event at a dealership near me. And it was a fun ride, but scary for that it was more powerful than I thought. I test drove the spyder which is the sporty model, not the big tour one.

The people running the event said I was not safe and was driving too slow. I wasn't wreckless, but since I never driven a motorcycle, quads, dirtbikes, I was having a hard time keeping up with the group and hesitated driving that thing. I did get up to around 50-55 mph, but I got scared and didn't want to go any faster so I was def in the slow lane most of the ride with cars passing me. I had no leather jacket so I did not feel safe going any faster.

I wanted to try the touring one since it was the same 1000cc as the spyder thinking it was more protective and more mass so may not be as fast. But then I have no idea if bigger size is going to be any different. They wouldn't let me, but I do agree with them that I was not safe because I was scared and not really sure how to ride that thing. I chose the spyder one because the bright colors attracted me and I thought a smaller vehicle would be easier to drive than a big bulky touring one.

It was fun and it was the only way I could actually drive something similar to a motorcycle. I just wish it was not so powerful because 1000cc feels really scary for a beginner and feels like the bike would explode or I would fall off it for accelerating too fast. And ya I don't want to try the passenger thing until I get more riding experience.

My mom saw me grab my motorcycle helmet and started questioning what I was going to do. I told her I was going to drive a Can-am which is not a motorcycle. I did not lie to her, but I'm sure she will get mad if she saw what I was riding and knew I was riding on main streets with 45-60 mph speed limits. And also did some freeway riding (holy ****), but only for like less than a mile and only to get back on another street. But personally, I think it's more unsafe for me being forced to keep riding motorcycles a secret rather than having a mom who is more supportive and making sure I have taken all the right classes to ride informed/safely and to make sure I have all the gear I need.

Anyways, is 1000cc too much for a beginner? I'm not scared being on the road, but I want something I feel I am in control of and won't accelerate extremely fast. So I know what 1000cc feels like on a Can-Am, I describe it as a very explosive power and to go cruising speeds I feel like you have to just barely tap the throttle. So I hope a ninja 250 would be the bike that would satisfy my needs. Not super slow, yet able to keep up or pass cars in control, but not crazy explosive power. I can understand why people urge beginners not to get something like a 1000 cc sport bike. Ya, I'm not the kind of rider trying to look cool on a bike, I just want something I feel in control of, even if I do get **** for riding a 250cc.

Last edited by JetFalcon; 04-22-2012 at 05:59 PM..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 04-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
Dodsfall
Administrator

Dodsfall is just really nice

You don't need a motorcycle license to drive a three-wheeler in California as far as I know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
Martlet
Verified

Martlet is on a distinguished road

I urge beginners to get a 1000cc bike.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
Dodsfall
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martlet View Post
I urge beginners to get a 1000cc bike.
I wouldn't recommend it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
Martlet
Verified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodsfall View Post
I wouldn't recommend it.
You can ask a million people and get a million different answers.

When I teach new riders, I'm far more concerned with the weight and distribution of a bike.

Starting on a 1000cc bike gives you much more longevity and utility.

Of course, this varies by bike style. A 1000cc cafe racer is different than a 1000cc cruiser which is different than a 1000cc dual sport.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
sanford
Banned

sanford is on a distinguished road

well as a newbie, brother 250cc is enough to start, second day on park lot hit a leaf and fell. But I manged to keep bike from dents.. 1000 for me is way too much considering how much we have to learn, as mentioned before I'm kinda of a little gratefull that I fell in a parking lot... now I'm more aware and not to be overconfident.. been riding only about 3 hrs.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
WinterWarrior
Rat Bike Extraordinaire

WinterWarrior is on a distinguished road

Be that as it may, the larger the power output, the more risk. A new rider with a liter bike has no experience/muscle memory and a bike that is made for power/speed/precise handling. If a newbie made even the slightest mistake at speed, they could be spilled all over the highway.

All of which could be avoided by getting a smaller, lower displacement bike to start.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:58 PM   #8
Martlet
Verified

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWarrior View Post
Be that as it may, the larger the power output, the more risk. A new rider with a liter bike has no experience/muscle memory and a bike that is made for power/speed/precise handling. If a newbie made even the slightest mistake at speed, they could be spilled all over the highway.

All of which could be avoided by getting a smaller, lower displacement bike to start.
Again, depends on the class of bike.

My friend's little honda go-crap 600 accelerates far faster than my Victory 106 ci.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #9
Dodsfall
Administrator

This was going nowhere fast. Off-topic posts were deleted and the thread was locked.

Closed Thread