Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Forums > Vintage Forum

Vintage Forum Classic and Vintage machines

Old 04-20-2012, 01:50 AM   #1
warren

warren is on a distinguished road
Default 1974 CZ Enduro Carb problem

Hey,

So I bought an old dirtbike. It's a 175 one banger. I cleaned the carb out and we got it running (after a while). We were monkeying with the carb screws and they weren't really affecting all that much. Then we took out a jet on the side, which killed it. We then tightened it back in and it wouldn't stay running, so we rigged something onto it so it would sit in the 'correct' position without loosening, and monkeyed more with the screws. Then we took the jet out again, and tightened it up, and it started working correctly again. Now, it runs alright, but when I open it up full throttle, it bogs down. As long as I keep it about 80-85% it is fine, but when past that I need to clutch and start revving it to keep the engine running. It was doing this all along, and this is the best it has been, but I still would like to know what the issue is.
Thanks guys!
warren is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 05-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
Tango911
Verified

Tango911 is on a distinguished road

the jet on the side, is the air screw, or could be the fuel screw, if you turned it in all the way too hard, you might have messed up the end of the screw. you should pull the carb off , take it a part and clean every jet, spray into each hole with carb cleaner and then blow it out with an air gun. if you know someone with an ultrasonic cleaner, that would help too. you might want to buy a jet kit for about 20$. Just some thoughts. You can look up what your airscrew or fuel screw setting should be for stock if your exhaust is stock and airbox.
Tango911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:34 AM   #3
punisher
Banned

punisher is on a distinguished road

replace the carb end of problem.update.
punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #4
Tango911
Verified

Tango911 is on a distinguished road

yea some people do it that way, just buy new everything till you fix the prob and have more money in the bike then its worth :P
Tango911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #5
punisher
Banned

punisher is on a distinguished road

CZ carbs most which are Jickov are very unruly and hard to maintain.i have a vintage CZ 400 motorcross bike.And a new carb made it rock.
punisher is offline   Reply With Quote