Sat 18 months. Now idles but dies when reved - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Repair, Building, and Restoration > Motorcycle Repair

Motorcycle Repair Having trouble fixing your motorcycle? Just lay it out for our shadetree mechanics.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:41 PM   #1
Epijunkie

Epijunkie is on a distinguished road
Default Sat 18 months. Now idles but dies when reved

*sigh* Ok, I made a stupid mistake and I admit it. I own a 2003 Yamaha V-Star 650. I parked it in my basement at the beginning of winter in 2008, say around November. Last year I didn't get it out or start it a single time. I kept meaning to at least run it a little but..., well, life happened. I figure almost 18 months of sitting.

A week ago when the weather turned warm again I tried to start it up and of course it wouldn't start. I charged the battery but the engine wouldn't fire. Assuming it was old gas I siphoned all the old gas out of the tank, and replaced it with fresh gas. Still no fire. I got a can of spray ether, removed the air filter and with a lot of cranking and ether got the engine to eventually run and idle.

With the choke fully out it idled slowly but the RPM never came up like it should as the engine warmed. If you attempt to even tap the throttle the engine dies. If you push the choke in even one click it dies.

Today I again siphoned out the gas, added some fresh, swished it around, siphoned THAT out and added a tank full of fresh I bought today. Same situation. With ether I can get it to start but even after 10-15 minutes of idle it dies instantly if you touch either the throttle or the choke.

I am a "change the oil and plugs" level of mechanic. I am NOT a "take the carb apart and polish the ports by hand" level of mechanic. What do you think the problem is and is this something I can fix myself or should I take it to my local dealer?
Epijunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 04-05-2010, 11:53 PM   #2
rexmitchell
Administrator

rexmitchell has a spectacular aura about

Try getting some seafoam and put it in the tank with fresh gas....other than cleaning the carbs and fuel lines that will probly be the most help. You can put the seafoam straight into the carbs if you want

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas. - Davy Crockett
rexmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:01 AM   #3
Emack76
Verified

Emack76 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexmitchell View Post
Try getting some seafoam and put it in the tank with fresh gas....other than cleaning the carbs and fuel lines that will probly be the most help. You can put the seafoam straight into the carbs if you want
+1 to that. The old gas probably varnished your jet(s) as it evaporated over the last 18 months. Perhaps you have a dirty/clogged main jet. It sounds like the idle/pilot jet is ok, or at least partially ok since you must keep it choked. Seafoam may clean it over time, but it's going to take a LOT of idling to make this happen. If you can't get the seafoam through the main jet (when you twist apply throttle) then it won't get clean either. But it's a cheap first thing to try.

You might be looking at a carb-job. If you have a book/manual this procedure isn't THAT bad. Intimidating the first time, but just stay focused! If you have disposable cash then support your local shop and they'll get it right for you.

Also, but sure to check your airbox to ensure that you don't have a mousenest or other obstruction. It sounds like the bike is either starved for fuel, or air...
Emack76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
rexmitchell
Administrator

rexmitchell has a spectacular aura about

I imagine there is just some buildup in there. Start cheap then go expensive at the stealership.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas. - Davy Crockett
rexmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote