Vulcan 900 vs VSTAR 950 - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Forums > First Bike / New Rider

First Bike / New Rider This is the place where new riders can get help from community experts

Old 03-05-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
phunner
Registered

phunner is on a distinguished road
Default Vulcan 900 vs VSTAR 950

Hey All...need some input. Buying a new bike soon. Torn between the Vulcan 900 LS and the VSTAR 950 Touring Edition

Any suggestions/experiences to share?

Thanks..
phunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 03-07-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
dustbuster

dustbuster is on a distinguished road

I'm on the Vulcan 500 still...but I really like the 900's. I've sat on the 950 and really like the feel of it. I'd have to do something about the bars, they didn't feel good to me stock. My dealer rarely has 900's in stock, tried out a used 800 and it felt great. My research is by reviews but maybe the 950 gets a little nod for freeway use over the 900, but not by much. Air vs. Liquid cooled is the biggest difference between them other than maybe the electronics are set up better on the Star. Either should serve you well, it comes down to your personal feelings on the bike. I could live with either...
Old 03-11-2010, 07:43 PM   #3
casilver

casilver is on a distinguished road

I used to have the 900, and the only complaint I had was that it felt buzzy north of about 70 mph. Some people replaced the rear pulley and resolved that issue. Other than that, I really loved that bike, it was powerful enough to handle anything - including 2up riding, handled great, looked great and felt great, and had no problems during short or long trips (including a 2300 mile to the Grand Canyon).

I can't speak for the 950, but I will say that I sat on a 950 when they first came out and it felt like I was "on" the bike (certainly doesn't mean it's a bad thing), as opposed to "in/part-of" the bike on the Vulcan, but that may have been because I was already used to the Vulcan.

Have you sat on them? Stood them up? How do they feel to you?

From what I've read about the 950, it is also an excellent bike. Are there specific technical features that you "must" have, that one bike has and the other does not, or something you don't like about one bike?

I think you'll come out a winner with either bike. Good luck!

Last edited by casilver; 03-11-2010 at 07:47 PM..
casilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
primalmu
2003 Bandit 1200 (naked)

primalmu is on a distinguished road

I've heard that the V-Stars all have pretty short gearing, making them run high RPMs on the interstate. The bad thing is that the shaft drive means you can't change the gearing to lower cruising RPM. For that reason I'd go with the Vulcan. However, I don't like the spoked rims on the Classic and Classic LT (I will only own cast wheels from now on).
primalmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:18 PM   #5
casilver

casilver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by primalmu View Post
I've heard that the V-Stars all have pretty short gearing, making them run high RPMs on the interstate...
I don't know about the other V-Stars, but my V-Star 1300's 5th gear is more like an overdrive gear - usually I don't hit 5th until about 65-70 mph, or it feels like it's lugging a little. 80/90 mph on it is silky smooth. Haven't taken her much faster than that yet (only had her since January), but it's very easy to get to 90 and not realize it.

Last edited by casilver; 03-11-2010 at 11:24 PM..
casilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:25 AM   #6
primalmu
2003 Bandit 1200 (naked)

primalmu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by casilver View Post
I don't know about the other V-Stars, but my V-Star 1300's 5th gear is more like an overdrive gear - usually I don't hit 5th until about 65-70 mph, or it feels like it's lugging a little. 80/90 mph on it is silky smooth. Haven't taken her much faster than that yet (only had her since January), but it's very easy to get to 90 and not realize it.
Oops, sorry, I've heard that about the V-Star 650 through 1100.
primalmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:50 AM   #7
XIDshooter
A nice guy,...really..why are you laughing?

XIDshooter is on a distinguished road

Yup,that's the 650 V-star.
Any time I would hit 50mph or so I would try to grab a gear that wasn't there,Very buzzy.
My buddies 1100 is not as bad.