Motorcycle Forum banner

94 1400 intruder pilot mixture screws

31K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  snowwy66 
#1 ·
anyone know where they are? the parts schematics say underneath. the manual says on top. i've taken the gas tank off and can't see a darn screw OR cap anywhere. front or rear.

my idle sucks. one cy linder just coasts and backfires at times. unless i hold throttle a little to keep both cylinders running. since the previous owner screwed around with the carbs. i'm hoping he took the cap off and screwed the mixture screw in all the way. i've already gone through the carbs to put the stock mains back in. the numbers are worn out on the other jets so they have to be stock originals. so i'm hoping to do a pilot adjustment without pulling the carbs back off again.

#2 ·
Your description points to carb sync more than pilot adjustment. Once the sync is better, the pilot adjustment will be much easier.

The pilot screw on the rear carburetor is on the right side, below and forward of the throttle wheel. The pilot screw on the front is on the left, below and aft of the throttle wheel.

#3 · (Edited)
i adjusted the cable like it said in the manual for the sync job. got it to idle. but 2 days later i rode it and it didn't idle. and the power went down. so i put the cable back.

there's the backfiring problem too. if i release the throttle but not quite all the way.

some of you on this forum said that's from lack of fuel. which is wh y i'm hoping the pilot mixture is off.

i always thought the backfiring was from too much gas such as bigger jets for straight exhaust.

i've finally got the idle up high enough that once the engine gets fully warmed it actually works. but the rear cylinder exhaust just isn't as loud as the right side.

and what's the vacuum lines hooked up to the carbs for? each carb has a vacuum line about 9 inches long. but i haven't felt any vacuum coming from either hose. and they aren't plugged off.

#4 ·
The idle should be about 1100-1200 rpm; lower causes various problems. If you have the idle in that range, adjusting the sync via the vacuum ports should improve it, a lot. Setting the above-idle throttle sync will make it run smoother on the highway, too.

Have you checked the decomp valve adjustments? These usually only cause a problem starting, but can intrude on operations if they are far enough out.

Backfiring on decel is often a lean mixture; the mixture is too lean to fire consistently, and burns in the head pipe, instead. If the throttle sync is off, it will exaggerate the lean condition.

Those vacuum lines may just be the carburetor bowl vents. At some time, they added a vacuum line to one for an engine control, but I don't recall if your bike came before or after that change. In any case, it would be hooked up to a sensor, or be a big vacuum leak.

#5 ·
In order to adjust the pilots on the carbs, it's necessary to remove the carbs from the bike. The pilot holes are in such a place that it's impossible to adjust them while still on the bike. Yes, the pilots are on the bottom front of the carbs.
Popping through the exhaust indicates the mixture is too lean. Another problem that can lead to backfiring is a bad pair valve which is located on the right side of the engine. It's the large triangular unit that looks like an air filter!
The pair valve it the last item I'd fool with. Pull your carbs. adjust the front carb pilot out two turns. The rear carb's pilot comes out two and a half turns. Reassemble the bike and test run.
This should stop the backfiring. If it doesn't, have the pair valve checked out. Most of the fellows I know disabled the pair valve rather than replaced. Whe you get the cover off, you'll see that disabling it is not very difficult.

CD

#6 ·
i don't beleive this bike has a pair valve. nothing comes up in the parts fishers. and the only thing i see. are air boxes. air tunnels. carbs and intakes. the front box has a drain tube and a crankcase tube.

i was hoping to adjust and NOT take the carbs off. kind of hard to adjust OFF the bike. not that i can see the screws anyways. so they might still be capped.

i was hoping to not have to redo the carbs this winter but guess that's the breaks. not like the bike is going anywhere anyways. LOL.

#8 ·
I just jouned and need some help with my 1994 Intruder 1400, but I am not allowed to post a new thread. If possible I will ask my question off your thread and maybe that will work. I purchased it with an electrical problem. The Ignitor is off and the previous owner has removed a few wires from the 8 pin plug that hooks to the ignitor and my service manual shows a 6 pin commector. Would anyone be able to help me get the wires back in the correct holes on the 8 pin plug? I already purchased a new ingitor but can't do anything until I figure which wire goes where. Thanks

#11 · (Edited)
revisiting this old thread. took the carbs out. the mixture screws are on the top front neck.

the brass plugs are nothing more then brass plugs. if i pop them out then i have a gaping hole at the bottom of the neck.

my problems look to be a result of plugged pilot jet. to which i boiled in hot water to clean it out. took a half hour of boiling. she's golden now.

doing some uncorking of the carbs now. waiting on parts before i put back on and find out if my performance issues have been solved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.