Motorcycle Forum banner

Best year round, all weather jacket?

22K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  louturks 
#1 ·
I want a safe jacket that is good all year round. In the winter I will wear polypros under the jacket...I'm mostly worried about something that is good in the summer for keeping cool and can keep rain off. Does such a jacket exist?

If not, can you reccomend a jacket that's good in heat without losing safety features?

As always, thanks in advance!

#3 ·
Indiana - now it's HOT! Like 95 with 70% or higher humidity...cold weather can really depend. It's usually right around 30-40 degrees in the winter though.

I'm not as worried about the cold weather because I can always put clothing under. It's the hot weather that I'm worried about, but would always like to wear one for saftey. I can't really afford more than one (college student!).

#4 ·
Its hard to get a leather jacket for that kind of heat unless you just don't mind sweating like a pig. However you will sweat just as much wearing shorts and a t-shirt if you are stuck in traffic. I just ride mesh in summer and leather in winter. I don't see a way around it, here in Texas our weather is so hot most of the year and mesh just isn't warm enough in the winter.

#5 ·
I really think that Joe Rocket, textile jackets are great! I wear that one when it drops to around 40 degrees, but have to wear extra stuff under it!! I can also wear it during the day when it is around 70-80 range ...any hotter than that though you are sweating! I like wearing it on the warmer days when I have to be on the highway! It covers me more, has armor, and is more visible (black, pink, and white).

That coat has been awesome, I just washed it again yesterday! Just take the armor out and throw in a gentle cycle, hang to dry...has held up fine after at least 3 washings and over at least 10K miles.

#7 ·
I gave up wearing leather years ago. I wear a ballistic nylon jacket from Harley for several reasons.

One, it is warmer and resistant to cold winds. It is better than the leather.

Two, it does have vents front and back that can be zipped open to allow a very nice breeze during the warmer day rides. This way you don't selter knowing you might have to ride home after dark when you need something heavier.

Last, it has an Eton collar which snaps securely, and doesn't let late night wind chill you. When I was younger I just wore the typical leather "Marlon Brando" style, and it leaked like a sieve.

#10 ·
I rode from south to north, and north to south through your state back in April. Part of the time I was in <35 degree weather (ice on my saddle in the AM). I wore a Vega Nitro-Mesh jacket. It is inexpensive, has CE armor, a back protector, and a thermal liner. I wear the same jacket year round here in Florida. I never go out without it on.

As far as cold, I found even in that cold of weather it was pretty good; I won't say super warm, but definitely was not shaking with the cold. I wear layers under in the cold and strip off a layer as things change. In the coldest time on that trip I had thermal undershirt, long sleeve t-shirt, sweatshirt and jacket (with a neck gaiter I use when hunting).

Down here, it is usually t-shirt only under the jacket, with the liner out. As long as I am moving in the heat the jacket is very comfortable, even in our hot season, but it does get warm at stop lights. If I was to do it over, I would try to find it in white or at least a lighter color (mine is black).

Cheers,

Mike

#14 ·
I wear my mesh jacket with the wind / water proof liner in it in the winter with a hooded sweatshirt underneath, and sometimes I'll even throw on my thermal gear (Polartec stuff from Cabelas, I wear the medium weight and it's amazing) from work. Only places I feel the cold then is my neck and hands, maybe ankles too.

#15 ·
Personal opinion based on experience I've had from about 20-90 degrees... There is no one coat. You really need two. To get good cold weather temp protection you need a full fabric or leather coat with a good thinsulate liner and an electric vest or coat would improve that even more. I used a Heine Gericke Boost jacket. The problem is to get that low temp protection it will not allow enough air flow to be comfortable in the heat from about 75 degrees up. That takes a mesh coat. I got a First Gear Kilmanjaro Air, which also has a liner. I've ridden in high 80s with that coat, liner out, and it's like no coat - until you stop, then like anything else, it's hot. But with the liner it will work from about 50 to 90 degrees.

So having a solid material/leather jacket can cover from 20 to 70 degrees and a mesh coat with liner can cover from 50 to 90 degrees. Keep your eye out and you can find both at about $125 each at shows and races as close outs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.