Motorcycle Forum banner

Yamaha 1100 V-Star engine noise.

54K views 39 replies 23 participants last post by  rleegabe 
#1 ·
My brother has an 05 1100 V-Star which he says has a clicking sound in the engine. He tells me it sounds like a valve tappet click only somewhat louder. He has pulled the engine and replaced everything he thinks could be causing it but it is still there. The dealer he bought it from claims it sounds completely normal so he was no help. (I know the dealership, it changed ownership since he bought the bike and personally I wouldn't trust them any farther than I could throw the bike). I thought I read a post about the same thing some time ago but I can't find it. Have any of you 1100 V-Star riders had anything that sounds like what I have described or is this really normal? I haven't gotten to listen to the noise but my brother is really savy on what something should or shouldn't sound like.
Any suggestions?

#3 ·
I got an '06 1100.Got about 2300 mi. on it.I wanted to get the 600 mile service done on it when I was away and the local shop couln't fit it in the schedule.They did do a oil/filter change on it and told me that it didn't seem to need any other adjustments so I should be fine.Then I started noticing a clicking sound while driving the bike.I thought maybe it was there all along and never noticed it before but it was driving me crazy.I asked my buddy to take a listen and he thinks it is normal for this machine to make this noise.He also said that maybe it might be in need of a valve adjustment.
Now I am making an appointment to have it serviced.I am a bit nervous because I should of had it done at 600 miles or as soon as possibe afterwards.I can only hope there is nothing damaged as I'll have some explaining to do to my warrenty.Hope everyone telling me there is nothing to worry about knows what they're talking about.
To all the NEW riders out there just getting started may I suggest:Read your warranty agreement and don't prograstinate.Have it serviced on schedule and have it looked at if something ain't right.

Rick

#6 ·
I just bought a 2003 V-Star 1100 with 6800 kilometers on it (not sure what that is in miles?) Anyway, I did notice a ticking too. This is my first road bike and thought it was possibly the gas, so I filled it with medium grade (89). There is still ticking. From what I have read so far this seems to be the norm.
Can anyone tell me if I am wasting money on the higher-octane fuel:confused:

#7 ·
I wouldn't say you're waisting your money,but unless your owners manual specifically states to use high octaine gas you shouldn't need to.My '06 only needs unleaded gas as per my manual.That said I switch type of octain depending what I can afford at the time.I try to at least use 89 octain gas.In the long run it keeps the carb cleaner,plus you will see a little better gas milage as well.

Rick

#8 ·
I tried all types of octane gas in my 1100 and never could tell enough difference to matter. The only real difference was gas that had ethanol got less mileage than without ethanol.

I'd save your penny's and use the regular stuff ..... but then at maybe .10 cents per gallon diff..... .40 cents per tank wont kill ya either :)

Rat

#12 ·
i got two problems with my bike, one it's started to burn alot more oil then normal...am going though 2bottles in less then 3 months of riding...2000klm, yea i ride alot

neways i filled it up just the other day and now it's ticking, never used to...checked the oil and everything...figured i should change the oil or somin, got all setup to change the oil and ended up fighting with getting the oil plug off, witch way dose it turn on a 98 v-star 650 and can you get a socket in their?

also is it possible to have a old oil buildup on the engine block? last time i changed the oil it, when i put the new oil in it turned black in one ride....is the normal?, i'v only had this bike since sept of 08

#15 ·
I have an 2008 V1100 Custom and it has 1265 miles on. And it has a ticking noise. Not loud but you can hear it. It's not noticeable at speed so I don't worry about it. As long as the engine light doesn't come on and the sound doesn't get louder,....I'm not going to worry about it. The ticking noise is one of those idiosyncrasy of a V1100.

As far as using 89 or 91 octane gas,......well the V1100 compression ratio is only 8.3 to 1. So I would stay with using the 87 octane. You might, just might see a little improvement in performance using 89 octane gas, but unless you change the exhaust, rejet the carbs and open the air box,....you really won't see any real performance increase.

#19 ·
Just want to back up what everyone else is saying. Do Not tighten those valve clearances to the point they stop ticking. V-stars should tick.

I have two of these bikes: one with over 35,000 miles and 1 with only 22, 000 miles. Both bikes have had their valve clearances checked by me every 4000 miles, and only the higher mileage bike has ever needed adjusted and that was at the last 32,000 mile check.

For you guys who are tight on funds and don't do you're own work, I would have these things checked no more often than every 16,000 miles after the initial 600 mile check unless you really notice power drop in the bike.

I'm sure a Yamaha mechanic will dispute this but that's my experience.

#23 ·
Okay, how many of the Vstar owners also have exhaust blueing occuring also with the ticking....here is another little note from another website I found...on blueing...

Most any pipe can and will. And there is only one culprit…EXCESSIVE HEAT!! If your bike is mis-timed….too much heat. Run lean? More heat. Run out of gas? (more air than gas)…heat again! In these instances, more air than fuel will result. And with the induction of more air, temperatures can flair as much as 200 degrees instantly; thus frying the pipes.

...Now I just took mine in for a valve adjustment....but not a timing...check...but I am going to ask about that also....because I have noticed that I am getting a blueing effect....is there a chance that the two are related? Ticking and mis-timed?:confused:

#25 ·
took the bike in and they adjusted the valves and sync the carbs...no more ticking...

said my blueing is most likely letting the choke on too long...but I thought I saw where you were supposed to let it warm up for five minutes...so am I causing the blueing by letting it warm up then?

#26 ·
I have a 2003 Valkyrie that makes a clicking sound that to me sounds the same when you pull a plug wire off and the spark arcs. It does not make the sound when it first warms up, only when its hot. It seems to go away at higher RPMs but I think that because the engine covers the sound. Any thoughts?

#30 ·
There seems to be a little bit there, but mine has really reduced what I heard before...I am thinking...I am going to get the necessary tools to do that myself....because i don't want to have to do it every 2,000 miles....jeeze that would be after every trip I take or better!:confused::(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.