Motorcycle Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Test drove a Can-am

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Dodsfall 
#1 · (Edited)
I test drove a Can-am at a demo event at a dealership near me. And it was a fun ride, but scary for that it was more powerful than I thought. I test drove the spyder which is the sporty model, not the big tour one.

The people running the event said I was not safe and was driving too slow. I wasn't wreckless, but since I never driven a motorcycle, quads, dirtbikes, I was having a hard time keeping up with the group and hesitated driving that thing. I did get up to around 50-55 mph, but I got scared and didn't want to go any faster so I was def in the slow lane most of the ride with cars passing me. I had no leather jacket so I did not feel safe going any faster.

I wanted to try the touring one since it was the same 1000cc as the spyder thinking it was more protective and more mass so may not be as fast. But then I have no idea if bigger size is going to be any different. They wouldn't let me, but I do agree with them that I was not safe because I was scared and not really sure how to ride that thing. I chose the spyder one because the bright colors attracted me and I thought a smaller vehicle would be easier to drive than a big bulky touring one.

It was fun and it was the only way I could actually drive something similar to a motorcycle. I just wish it was not so powerful because 1000cc feels really scary for a beginner and feels like the bike would explode or I would fall off it for accelerating too fast. And ya I don't want to try the passenger thing until I get more riding experience.

My mom saw me grab my motorcycle helmet and started questioning what I was going to do. I told her I was going to drive a Can-am which is not a motorcycle. I did not lie to her, but I'm sure she will get mad if she saw what I was riding and knew I was riding on main streets with 45-60 mph speed limits. And also did some freeway riding (holy ****), but only for like less than a mile and only to get back on another street. But personally, I think it's more unsafe for me being forced to keep riding motorcycles a secret rather than having a mom who is more supportive and making sure I have taken all the right classes to ride informed/safely and to make sure I have all the gear I need.

Anyways, is 1000cc too much for a beginner? I'm not scared being on the road, but I want something I feel I am in control of and won't accelerate extremely fast. So I know what 1000cc feels like on a Can-Am, I describe it as a very explosive power and to go cruising speeds I feel like you have to just barely tap the throttle. So I hope a ninja 250 would be the bike that would satisfy my needs. Not super slow, yet able to keep up or pass cars in control, but not crazy explosive power. I can understand why people urge beginners not to get something like a 1000 cc sport bike. Ya, I'm not the kind of rider trying to look cool on a bike, I just want something I feel in control of, even if I do get **** for riding a 250cc.

See less See more
#7 ·
Be that as it may, the larger the power output, the more risk. A new rider with a liter bike has no experience/muscle memory and a bike that is made for power/speed/precise handling. If a newbie made even the slightest mistake at speed, they could be spilled all over the highway.

All of which could be avoided by getting a smaller, lower displacement bike to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.