Motorcycle Forum banner

Honda Shadow Aero

11K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  jonnydabney 
#1 ·
So, I'm new to motorcycles that are street legal. I would like to get a motorcycle that is large enough to go on the freeway, but not too large.

I'm looking at the Honda Shadow Aero 750. I've ridden it and like it quite a bit.

The problem is I haven't been able to take it on the freeway.

How do you think it would do? I'm 5'6" and 140 lbs.

#2 ·
First off, welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of helpful discussions here, and I've found the folks here to be quite friendly.

As for your question, I have not ridden the Aero 750, but I own a 1983 Honda Sabre 750, and I take it on the highway regularly. I can easily cruise along at 70, or 80 if I'm in the mood. I'm 6'10" and 320 lbs, so I think 750cc will be plenty to move you along at highway speeds...

Randy
aka Hightower

#5 ·
I'll assume you're asking about the weight of my bike, the 83 Sabre. Here's the specs according to the manual:
Dry weight 496 lbs
Curb weight 534 lbs
GVWR 950 lbs

I don't feel like it's underpowered at all. I've had the bike for about 6 weeks and I've put 2400 miles on it. I've gone camping with it loaded down, 200 mile joy rides, 80 mph on the expressway, but I've never felt like she was lacking in power.

Randy
aka Hightower

#6 ·
I have a 2007 Aero. I love the bike. It's a very good all-around bike, especially for the price.

That said, I think it depends on what you mean by "go on the highway." Certainly I "go on the highway" with mine. It can handle that just fine. However, if I was planning to do long distance tours, or if I intended to do daily commutes of 20 miles or so on an interstate, I'm not sure I would pick the Aero as my first choice. I would do it with my Aero, because it's the bike I own. But if I were choosing a bike for that, I think I'd go a little bigger.

The Aero is happiest at low rpm's. It chugs along and sounds great, feels great. There's no tach, so I'm guessing, but I'd say 2,000 to 2,500 rpm's is a good comfort zone for regular driving.

At 70, on the Aero, you are well above that rpm level. The bike is winding pretty tight. I sometimes wish there was a sixth gear to drop into. I mean, it's fine, and it is well within the overall rpm range that the bike is intended for. I just sometimes wish it could cruise at 70 without the engine running that fast.

Again, it's a great bike, and if you simply are asking is it "highway capable," absolutely.

#8 ·
I just purchased a 2004 Aero 750 and I love it. It has aftermarket pipes which roar real nice and I love it. I've been riding for about a week now and I've taken the 30 mile trip from Rancho to Pasadena from the side streets (Foothill Blvd). I haven't been on the freeway yet, primarily because I only have a learners permit and I am not ready for the freeway. I love this bike with a passion.

#9 ·
+1 to JMark
You'll do fine on the Aero....in fact it's the perfect scoot for folks like yourself & I who are "vertically challenged"....lol....low seat height & awesome balance! Like JMark said at 70 it feels really wound out & that bothers some people but its just the nature of the motor & it doesn't hurt it at all....in fact the Aero will top 100 if you're silly enough to try it....ha....for the riding you're talking about you'll LOVE the Aero & we'll be glad to have another Aero-head on board!
God bless & ride safe!
Daddio

#10 ·
What chaindad said. Yes, if you're talking backroads mostly, and the occasional trek onto an interstate highway...the Aero is a perfect bike.

Again, I absolutely love mine. It's the perfect combination of modern engingeering and design combined with traditional and classic features and feel.

#13 ·
I'm not too horribly partial to the white one.

I kinda like the black one. Looks good, but I would probably end up adding reflective tape to certain areas. You know for better visibility.

And, I'm pretty good at keeping things clean. So the black will look great.

Will be seeing all of you about November. NO bike by then though. Will be in San Antonio Texas by then.

#19 ·
I have a 98 750 ACE that I take on the (% all the time, and I love the bike. It definately has all the power needed to handle the interstate without any issues. I do agree that it does seem like it's turning some rather high RPMs at 80, but then again, thats where my motor seems happiest.

Mark, I have to say that you bike looks OUTSTANDING!

#22 ·
Honda aero

Are you familiar they made a 1100 aero from 1998-2002. The seat height is actually pretty low. I would take a look at the 1100. No disrespect to the 750riders but I wouldn't go smaller then an 1100 v-twin. You can cruise all day at 75mph if need be. With a 750 my guess is eventually you will want to move up. Also you can find them loaded,running lights,windshields,saddle bags for 3-4k.

#23 ·
Well, 4 years, 3 months, and an extra 20 lbs after my initial post, I actually have a motorcycle.

But I did not buy a Shadow Aero. I actually ended up trading a truck for a 1994 Honda Magna VF750C2.

It's rough looking, but it runs great. The 750 V4 has plenty of power for everything I expected to do. I love the bike.

I'll post a pic to this thread when my post count is high enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.