Motorcycle Forum banner

Who thinks I should get a bike?

First Bike For a 16 Year Old

61K views 76 replies 23 participants last post by  pdcomm 
#1 ·
Hey, my birthday is coming up soon and I am planning on buying a motorcycle. I am 16 and a first time rider. What kind of bike should i get to start off with at a good price (Under $7,000)?

Thanks

#4 ·
No. You should not get a motorcycle at 16. You need to learn the rules of the road in a relatively safe car before venturing out on a motorcycle. You by no means need to be distracted by both trying to learn how to operate a motorcycle safely AND trying to learn the rules of the road. Riding a motorcycle is dangerous enough for people who have been driving and riding for YEARS.

Trust me. I drove a car for 5 years before I learned to ride a bike. There is no substitute for wheel time in a car.

#7 ·
You have a valid point but in my opinion its dangerous no matter what you do and if someone takes the time to learn and ride safely they should get one its all about the state you put yourself into... If someone has determination and are willing to put in money and time they will be safe. I know were yous getting at. However i think it can be done. Its not like im going to cuz a 600cc bike and not take lessons im starting small and learning everything before i touch main roads.

#10 · (Edited)
That's true, but the fact is you have to learn how to drive as it is. You are much more likely to be in an accident during your first year of road time, than any other time.

That's fine and dandy when your surrounded by 2000 pounds of steel, held in with a seatbelt and protected by an air bag.

On a bike it's just you and yourself. If a car pulls out in front of you, or you make a bad choice and turn in front of a car you are a goner.

Get a dirt bike and barrow a car for a year or two, this way you can learn both things and when the time comes sell the bike and get a street bike.

Or you can risk it and get a bike. Best of luck to you.

Edit: I just saw your other post asking about a cbr 125, I'm guessing your some where on the other side of the pond. Get a moped and try that out for at least a few months, I understand you hate cars and truly I do as well, but you have to learn the ways of the road in a safe manner.

#9 ·
For a cruiser, find a small 250 Rebel or a V-star 250...small, easy to learn on....for a sport bike start off on a 250 (yes, I know...lately people here HATE the 250 Ninja, but I don't care...it's a great starter bike)....take the MSF course, get your gear on, practice practice practice.....find a large parking lot to practice in, stay off the main roads as much as possible for the first few weeks.

#70 ·
for a cruiser, find a small 250 rebel or a v-star 250...small, easy to learn on....for a sport bike start off on a 250 (yes, i know...lately people here hate the 250 ninja, but i don't care...it's a great starter bike)....take the msf course, get your gear on, practice practice practice.....find a large parking lot to practice in, stay off the main roads as much as possible for the first few weeks.
+1000000

#11 ·
yah, i myself drove for 2 years (im now 17, just got a 500cc ninja)...and one of my friends got his when he was 14(he was a year younger than me...)

basically at a younger age, if your male, you WILL want to show off...hell i even want to do it, im not going to lie...but i know the truth(not to scare you, but) whether its your fault, or the other guys fault...you will always loose.

what they are also saying is that if your new to the road...you dont know those other drivers, and you dont have a feel for the roads you need to take...

my younger friend here, he dropped his bike more than 4 times, and it was a 250cc Suzuki i think...basically he paid almost 2 times what his bike was worth bran new...and in a 3 month period!

Now im not the best example...but you know, you can always buy a car and just sell it in a year, and still get the bike then, hopefully you have a job and will save the difference in depreciated value in the car. (i "stole" my moms car from her for a whole year:D)

And not to brag, but i myself learn incredibly fast...first time on a bike, even touching one, perfect riding test, 325 miles on m 500cc and still no drop. Just give it time...that bike will wait for your next birthday, it wont just ride away. (i learned on a standard car, maybe you might consider buying that type instead, so you get the feel of a clutch/gear setting)

OVERALL:
1. Drive a car-if anything just until the next riding season...(maybe you could get the bike for Christmas instead!)
2. If possible, try to get a standard car, it DOES help you(since you use your left leg during both motorcycle/car!)
3. If you have a regular bicycle, go ride it and learn what happens when you do what(when you lean instead of turn the bike, when you skid on your brakes, and my favorite, learn how to balance it while going EXTREMELY slow![as this helps you with slow maneuvering, and it tells you that you need to trust you and the bike...when you give it power, its easier to control-most people forget this and try to stop when they feel they are going down in the coarse] but dont mix up the light weight of the bicycle, with the much heavier motorcycle)
4. DON'T get anything to powerful if you decide to just ignore all of this-please just put your ego aside...dont think that were all here to turn you away from riding, far from that. ALL of us would like to see you on the road-just not...ON it

What ever you choose...drive and ride safe!:71baldboy:

#12 ·
I know its dangerous, I ahve been injured more than a normal boy should be. Broken Jaw, Broken Fib/Tib Broke my wrist grouwth plate. Hvae had 3 surgerys. Lol, nowadays when i get injured im like **** it i dont care anymore. But im in Canada i ahve to wait 2 years before i can ride a car bymyself and that sucks ass. Also if i was going to buy i car i need at least $8000 for a decent car. My friend bought a used BMW M3 1992 and payed $9000 and then gas is just too much. But with a motorcycle im putting down like $5000 with taxes (Ninja 250r). And gas is like $20 a tank. I understand its dangerous, ive heard and seen everything. Skin scrapes broken bones death in some cases. i just want to enjoy my life when im young. I dont want to be 50 years old and be riding on a suzuki hayabusa lol it doesnt look right. I still have a month and a little to decide but right now Im ready for anything.

#13 · (Edited)
The dual sport bikes are good to learn on, and reasonably-priced in most cases. If you have some place to legally ride them off road, they are ideal.

I was riding dirt bikes and dual sports from about the age of 12, before that it was Briggs and Stratton-powered mini bikes. I think it's good practice to start off-road.

#19 ·
look i guess your going to get a 250 then from what your posting-but

1. your not invincible-just because us teens heal fast as hell, doesn't mean we can withstand more than an adult could :p

2. spend the money on the $400 set of gear!...i was just coming home now, literally just touched my exhaust pipe, and i burnt myself a bit...(i dont have boots :() and for now, dont worry about style over safety...i bought my gear 6 months before i was looking deeply into a bike...i didn't want to buy a $50 jacket that JUST looks good, so i got the best that i could find.

3. for your break in period-1st 1000 miles, just do back roads and road that wont push you to want to break past the break-in period RPM recommendations (still debatable if its really hurting your bike or not by some of the forums Ive read i guess...)

4. ...same as 3, avoid main roads, on a 250 you wont be able to hit those 45 mph speed limit-hell on my 500 im barely able to stay at the 45 and keep my RPM varied.

5. take the coarse, read the manual, and get the feel of your bike before taking off on it.

6. as many other posts have said...dont be the show off guy...because what looks dumber? the guy who is not pushing his bike, and doing stunts, or the guy who had just bought a bran new 250 '08 ninja, and dropped it?

Ride safe man-for the next upcoming month, just pay attention to who ever is driving you around and see their errors...GL

Keep in mind that i am no pro at riding, im still a beginner and learning what i can...just repeating what ive learned, and what others have told me when i was asking questions.

#20 ·
I mean like 5000 with taxes and gear. Im in london ontario. But im willing to spend 500 on gear. In going to take all safety in a serious matter. and i wont be pushing my bike im not a show off idiot once i get use to everything im going to push it after like 2 years lol i dont pay hospital bills im in canada lol trust me when i get something new it wont be harmed im one of those people who take everything more serious than they should be

#29 ·
lol na man, hes prob not to old...:wink::p:thumbsup:

my insurance- 1200 a year, first bike, first time registered under any insurance, and i have below a 3.0 GPA-which will lower it if it was a 3.0++...

also, WHEN you take your riding class(MSF right?) it will lower it as well, or should at least. again its probably because your just so new to the road! :p

#31 ·
I'm 23, and I've been riding for a year. My second bike, a 2000 Suzuki Katana, costs me $277 a year to insure, liability only, with $100,000/$300,000 coverages.

Face it. The reason your insurance is so much is because you are a high risk rider (teen riding a sport bike).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.