Motorcycle Forum banner

Where to buy motorcycle oil/filter

41K views 36 replies 18 participants last post by  Lurch77 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm feeling like I want do an oil change soon. Where do you folks buy your motorcycle oil -- besides the dealer? Will motorcycle shops sell them expensively? Can I buy motorcycle oil at Wal Mart of something like that. How about filters?

It seems a google search about motorcycle oil brings up motorcycle oil change kit for about $40 (3 quarts of moto oil and filter, oil filter gasket, drain plug gasket, etc.) or papers about car vs. motorcycle oil. (BTW, I think I'm convinced I need motorcycle oil and not car oil). Is about $40 good for an oil change kit? Here's the fleabay link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMA...TAR-98-07_W0QQitemZ300151606637QQcmdZViewItem

I'd love to just drop it off at the dealer but I don't have time to go there and wait. I've done oil changes on cars before -- not a big deal -- and for the motorcycle, there's not as much danger of getting under it.

Thanks.

Dennis

#2 ·
got them from local dealer since I don't buy many, so eventhough it might be expensive but it's only a few bucks. That way I can avoid the hassle of waiting for ship and shipping charge.

I was told that motorcycle oil can take way higher RPMs than car oil so I've been using motorcycle oil since otherwise the engine might get burnt.
BTW $40 is about 3 oil change for me :), I only replace the drain plug gasket when it's not good, and doesn't oil filter gasket come with the filter itself?

YF

#3 ·
Thanks. I called the place I got my bike from. They said I need 3 quarts at $5/quart and $10 for the oil filter. For another $20, they'll do it and it takes about 20 minutes once they get you in. I'd really like to do it myself. I have the stuff for changing my car oil and hope to reuse it for the bike. Plus, it gives me more excuse to hang out with the bike.

I figure the oil change kit was just a convenient package that they put together and sell for profit -- I figured, it wasn't that much more expensive than buy the oil and filter myself. I just don't want to pay $10 shipping and then wait a week.

Dennis

#4 ·
I just picked up oil and a filter for my Virago. $8 for the filter (it's a common one) fron the dealer. I picked up some synthetic motorcycle oil from the car parts store. I know a lot of riders like Rotella (Shell). Make sure you get to the specs required by your manufacturer. Don't get energy saving oil, it's bad for your wet clutch.

We need to get CB750F to put up a sticky post with the links for the oil articles. (Hint, hint)

#5 ·
Dennis, my friend's '07 Harley Softtail manual says that if he can't get Harley oil, use Diesel engine oil. I use Rotella T in my C90T Suzuki, and it works really great, keeps the engine noise down and keeps it relatively cool. I don't know what kind of motorcycle you have, but my C90T takes 4.8 quarts with an oil filter. I always buy my oil filters from the Suzuki dealer, because I tried once to get one from O'Reilly's. It had the wrong kind of threads on it, and I had to bring it back and go to Suzuki for one that would work.

#6 ·
Alright, I'll put it up. :D

http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/motorcycle/how_to/mc_oil.html

I got my last filter for the Kawie at a dealer, it was around 10 bucks and change and I bought my oil there. As soon as the warrenty is out I'll probably still buy the Kawasaki oil filters but I'll probably go with Rotella. I buy Fram filter for the Raptor as it gets changed often. They can be bought at Wal Mart.

#14 ·
Yup. RJ's is all right. I go there once in a while -- nice bunch of people. I like to shop for accessories, helmets, gloves, etc. I used to buy oil and filter from them. I found some good oil and filters and now can get them from Walmart. I use Shell Rotella T 5w-40 and SuperTech 7317 on my Vstar 1300. -- $23 for the oil and $2 for the filter. I bought Yamaha crush rings for $2.

I have Amsoil and Amsoil filter right now; next oil change will be the Rotella.

My FZ6 uses same oil, filter, and crush ring -- makes it easy to buy.

I have a 15 gallon oil container. I use it for cars and bikes. I take it to our town dump once in a while to get rid of it (I do it same time I'm taking our garbage so it works out well.).

Dennis

#8 ·
I get my filters from the dealer, or mail order from a discount dealer, as I like oem filters.
Oil is available from some Amsoil dealers on this forum, such as OilDoc.
I would recommend, as they do, Amsoil, as the finest quality oil for a bike.
Diesel oil is fer diesels.
But suit yourself.
Just the right kind (formula) of any fluid for a bike is important.
dc

#12 ·
I used car oil in my old bike, but only if it did NOT say "energy conserving" which can cause clutch slippage. Worked fine.

With my new one I use motorcycle oil because, well, I want to pamper it. :)

I've seen motorcycle oil filters at auto parts stores, which I can only imagine are cheaper than dealerships. Whether or not you trust your bike to FRAM is another question entirely.

#23 ·
I use Shell Rotella-T 5W-40 Synthetic in my Marauder and am pretty happy (MIGHT try AMSOIL this summer, but I'm not sure yet). I bought my filters off Amazon.com because I wanted Purolator and couldn't find any that fit my bike locally (**** you Suzuki for using a proprietary thread!).

#24 ·
Primalmu, I found these for your scooter:

[2]
These Oil Filters
have 20 x 1mm threads,
11 psi by-pass valve,
anti-drain back valve.

This is a proprietary Suzuki
thread, and no high performance
filters are made for 20mmx1mm
threads.
Available filters include:

AMSOil SMF 109
Bike Master 314-0025
Champion PH7016
Cycle Power 314-1919
Emgo 10-55662
Emgo 10-55660
Fram PH6018
Hi-Flo HF138
J.C.Whitney ZX063166P
K&N 138
NAPA 1359 / WIX 51359
NAPA PS7937
Parts Unlimited
Per-Form J-509
ProPart 01-0029
Purolator ML16818
STP SMO-18
Suzuki 16510-03G00-X07
VESRAH vsf-3009
WIX 57937

Eric :)

#33 ·
I use castrol 20w50 m/c oil in my 1200c sportster. I bought it with 7k miles last april, and changed it as soon as I got it. I dont know what was in it, but I'm pretty sure it had been serviced since new by the dealer. I also use a fram filter that is a motorcycle filter. I get both filter and oil at checker auto. Can't remember the cost but i'm sure the oil wasn't more than $3.00 a quart, and the filter was about 8-10 dollars I think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.