Motorcycle Forum banner

EZ Pass

16K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  sirgilbert357 
#1 ·
Ok, so I use ezpass, and wanted to use it on my bike. I refused to stick anything on my windshield. So i got a license plate ez pass, like I have on my truck.

I mounted in to my frame. doesn't look bad in my opinion. Not very noticable at all. My issue is, I went through 2 tolls so far, and neither has tripped the ez pass, nor have I got a toll violation. Could it be that Im too light to activate the ez pass, and that the toll as no idea I went thru??

Does anyone else use ezpass, or something simular, and how do you have it mounted? Have you had any issues with it not working?

See less See more
#3 ·
We use an IPass here in Illinois, which is similar device. Thought we used to, we don't have to carry or mount the device on the bike or car anymore. I was told that the computer will cross reference your plate and automatically take the toll out of your account.

#7 ·
Well, its not that the ezpass isnt working, the toll doesnt even know I went through. I have gone thru several times, no fines, no notices, no red lights. Its like I wasnt even there.

EVeryone says they put them in bags, pockets, jackets...and they work.

Mine's out in the open, and it doesnt read it.

I wonder if there is a difference between the license plate model, VS the white square model.

#10 ·
From http://Illinoistollway.com

What are vTolls?
Sometimes tolls do not post to your account at the time of the transaction. This is usually due to a missing, improperly mounted, or inactive transponder with a dead battery. These unsuccessful transactions are digitally recorded and your license plate is later matched to your I-PASS Account. The toll is then posted to your account at this later date. These digitally recorded tolls are called vTolls.

You will see “vToll” appear next to the transaction when you review your account records. Tolls that are successfully deducted at the time of transaction are labeled “toll”. Review your account transactions.

What is the V-Toll charge on my online statement?
Video-Tolls (V-Tolls) are tolls that could not be deducted from your account at the time of the toll transaction typically attributed to a missing, improperly mounted, or inactive transponder. It is important to periodically review your account activity to ensure your transponder is functioning properly. Excessive V-Tolls will result in penalties.
They don't say how many they will allow without penalty. The fines are rather stiff, however. A co-worker got a bill for over $900 a couple years ago for this very thing. They will revoke the registration of the vehicle for unpaid fines as well. Better safe than sorry.

#12 ·
Ok...so I called ez pass, they said my tag wasnt set to my bike, which they changed...they said that could be the issue, if not, it could be the location, or the tag....

So Im going to try this location, I dont see why it wont work here...
If not, going to have to get the white square model.

(the marks on the fender are from the flash)

#13 ·
Ours is called FastTrak. I lay the transponder in the window of the car, or carry it in my backpack or side bag on my bike. Then they read the plate and deduct the toll.
However, one time, due to wind, I was way cranked over with my belly on the tank, and in my backpack, I heard, beep, it read right thru' the backpack.
dc

#15 ·
I went on a trip to a meeting for a convention with a friend of mine last spring, and he said he would cover the tolls. Coming up on the toll booth, he told me to just go through the EZPass, and even inside his jacket, inside a cage, it read it just fine for us. Consider how much I go south during the Spring through fall, I am considering getting it myself. It makes things a LOT more convenient when your on a bike.

#18 ·
They are called EZTAGS here in Texas. You are supposed to be able to put them in a pocket, saddlebag or anywhere else on the bike. I go through 4 booths in each direction to and from work. I usually only trip 2 or 3 times each round trip. I'm not sure what happens to the rest of them but they don't show up on my bill. i have not tried attaching it to the bike but I have tried it in my front pocket instead of a bag with no change.

#21 ·
Whos paying a few bucks extra? the EZpass doesnt cost you anything...its just prepaid tolls...in fact, it has commuter programs for the bridges, so if you cross, i believe is 15-20 times a month, they give you money back, so in the end, you're paying less for the tolls.

#20 ·
You don't pay for your bike. You don't pay for insurance. You don't pay for a license, both for you and for the bike. Which includes road tax. You don't pay state sales tax, property tax, and income tax.
You are paying up and down the ying yang anyway. A little more buys you a bypass and extra time.
The major problem is that, out in the country, there are no jobs.
dc

#22 ·
Plus you don't have to stop. You just ride thru'.
Here you do pay extra. There are by pass lanes, and roads. East or west on the 91, you can bypass the area of most congestion, for a price. The sign says the toll at that time. Fast Trak only. Same on 405/73 south. 71, 241 and 261 go where there is only one road. A toll road. Or, go the long way round, if you prefer, with more traffic, older road, and less scenery.
dc

#34 ·
I'll reply...

I don't want to attach adhesive/velcro strips to my windscreen. I called and the EZpass people told me to just keep it in my shirt pocket. That's fine if you have a shirt pocket but even when I did it didn't work. I ended up clamping it to my windscreen with two carpenter clamps (tried one and it blew off). Just take it off when I park.

One thing that did happen is that I'd get overcharged since it would pick up the next car in line and register me as a three-axle vehicle. Happened at least once per month.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.