Motorcycle Forum banner

First 1,000 mile maintenance

26K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  Oil Doc 
#1 ·
I am close to the 1,000 mile mark on my new Harley and want to take it in to the Harley dealer for the 1,000 mile maintenance. Not to just get an oil change, but to also get all the gears and everything else checked out by a professional to see if everything is in proper working order since it is my first bike that I have been learning to ride on.

The thing is, Harley wants around $280 for this first time 1,000 mile maintenance check and oil change. Seems awful steep. Do I get a pic of a hot, naked, biker, chick on my Harley for that price?? Still, I guess I can pay for it just this first time since they supposedly do a full mechanical check-up on it. Has anyone here got it done and can tell me if it was worth the cost?

It's the other oil changes afterwards that I am not sure what I will do about. I live in a condo where I don't have a garage or area to do my own oil changes. I asked the service guy at HD how much for a regular oil change and he said $90.!! :eek:

Is there a reason other than being Harley Davidson why they would charge so much or can I get it done cheaper by some other motorcycle shop who will also work on Harleys? I never did an oil change on a motorcycle, so I don't know the difficulty of it, but I'm sure it has to be easier than a car which people can get an oil change done for $40 or less.

I'm thinking if oil changes are going to cost me $90 a pop, I'm going to find me some deserted area with no one around, park my bike and do my own oil change.

See less See more
#2 ·
The first service I would have them do, just to be sure. I had the first one done on my Kawasaki at the dealer just to be safe though I'm certain they didn't do everything they were supposed to do. From here on out I do them myself. After the warrenty runs out I'll buy my oil and filters elsewhere. Most dealers will honor the warrenty if you buy the oil and filters from them, that way they and you have proof you did them incase something should need done under warrenty.

G
#3 ·
Sounds good to me.

Gee, $280.00 sounds good to me. I have always paid more for my scheduled services. I am not a HD rider. Like others have said the first service is very important to have done, and done right!

See if you can get a copy of the DEALERS maintainence schedule ( for future reference) to see what specifically is checked and adjusted at each mileage milestone. That might make the cost make more sense to you. Make sure you have other HD riders in your area recommend which shop gives the best service.

Where I live the few HDers I know have commented about the vastly different quality of service they get from one HD dealer to the next.

Ride safe & long,
Colorado fats

#4 ·
I just had my 1000 mile check up on my new Ultra classic at Alefs Harley in Wichita,Ks were I live. It only took one day and they changed oil and filter went to the Syn-3 Harley Upgrade Oil. They checked 32 different areas also and found 8 areas with loose bolts or nuts and needed to be tightened. I was happy with the service and mine was free only because when you buy here you pay a 900.00 set up fee. That takes care of the 1000 mile check up. I also took the extended Warranty for total of 7 years with the tire care package. Tires are over $200 to 300 each I think.
I would agree with others it really all depends on your dealer and his staff on how good of job they will do for you.
The Area Checks are:
Electrical
Engine

G
#7 ·
Synthetic Oil

Synthetic oil vs. regular seems like a good discussion thread. I'm not a motorhead or wrench head, so those in the know could be very helpful.

I've heard pros & con on the subject. I have also heard that once you go to synthetic you can never go back to regular oil.

ride safe & long,
Colorado Fats

G
#6 · (Edited)
I change the oil myself, and it's about $50 in oil and parts. I don't know how the Sportster works, but I have to change crankcase oil, primary oil and transmission oil, so it's a lot, but it's easy. Most of the indy mechanics I talk to say to stay away from synthetics on the Harleys to avoid bearing skate. You actually need a stickier oil to lube the bearings properly. Harley says synthetic is OK, but if you push the issue, they don't go all the way to recommending it. I buy the Harley oil, it's comparable in price to most other MC oil.

I'm not a big fan of any dealership service, too many bad experiences with cars(especially the Volvo, but also my Chevy), and I've heard a few stories about the HD dealers also. It seems most are either really really good, or painfully bad when it comes to vacuuming out your wallet.

Get the Harley shop manual for your bike, it will tell you a lot, and HD's are pretty simple to work on.

#12 ·
Not sure on all they do for that 900.00 but its standard at this dealership.If I had not been a first time customer I would have asked more questions, but being a new guy to this I went along with it.:( They do it on all the bikes I'm told but you can get it lowered I guess, But you then have to pay for the 1000 mile check up. When you buy a car its dealer prep and I'm sure its just another way to take are hard earned money.:mad:
MJ

#14 ·
$280!WOW.It is a lot but I guess I would suck it up and have them do it.That way if anything goes wrong you can take it back to them and tell em they fuct up.Try to find an indy and become one of his buddies.I got lucky a guy I went to school with runs his pops shop.
Oil changes are EASY!!!I live in a condo too

and I will be damned if I pay anyone to do something that is so simple.Invest in a drain pan and a oil filter wrench and you will be fine!

#15 ·
$280!WOW.

and I will be damned if I pay anyone to do something that is so simple.Invest in a drain pan and a oil filter wrench and you will be fine!
I'll be damned if I can get my bike up the stairs to my second level condo. :D Nice collection of bikes there BTW.

Thing is that we don't have personal garages, only a covered parking area. The HOA where I'm at does not want residents working on their vehicles such as oil changes and stuff. Probably because the residents would complain that it makes the area look dirty when people mess up the ground with spilled oil, grease, etc. Which I could understand, because there are alot of slobs out there that would literally mess up the place if they could work on their own vehicles out in the parking lot.
There was a guy who was even forced to move a car of his because it was a junker that didn't run and didn't have any tags.

Kind of a snobby way of treating people who own their own condo, but on the bright side, the area is very well kept and clean, so there is a price to pay.

#16 ·
2nd floor, I can see where you might have a problem!
I got a bad rap from the Condo association too.
Make friends with someone that has a garage!!!
I dont know what the hell I would do if I couldnt do my own oil changes.Besides the bikes I have 2 vehicles!I think I would be broke!

G
#17 ·
It's not like they can evict you though, can they? Don't you own the place? I hear horror stories from friends in housing plans with homeowners associations. Busybodies on a power trip. Ever notice that Housing Plan and Housing Project really aren't that different a term.

#21 ·
The 1000 mile service is a very important one. The bike is just broke in from factory conditions. More needs to be done than just change the oil. It's certainly possible to do these things your self, but be sure to follow the owner's manual (or better yet the shop manual) and keep a log of all your maintenence to protect your warranty. If something screws up and you don't have the records to show, you may have troubles getting it covered.

The Harley dealer in my area charges $225 for this service.

Change oil and filter
Inspect oil lines and brake system
Service air cleaner
Check tires
Check wheel spokes
Change transmission fluid
Check clutch adjustment
Check drive belt adjustment
Check primary chain adjustment
Check and lubricate brake, clutch and throttle cables
Clean fuel filter
Inspect fuel lines
Inspect spark plugs
Adjust steering head bearings
Inspect shocks
Check engine idle speed
Check tightness of critical fasteners
Inspect exhaust system
Road test

#23 · (Edited)
Just so every one knows - A dealer cannot void a warranty based on the brand or type of oil or filter you used unless it can be proven that what you used caused the failure. If the make you use 1 certin type the must supply it to you free of charge ! If you use Amsoil and there product causes the failure they will pay for the repairs ! (Yes im a dealer also... but I run it in everything I own and love it)

#28 ·
I do believe in good deals... I remember a few years back when you couldn't touch a Harley for MSRP.....and they were sold before the Dealer recieved them...

In some areas, MSRP may be a good deal. In some areas, it is not.

MSRP on my bike was like 23 something. Don't remember exactly what.. and I got it for $19,272.00 ...

I was at one of my M/C accounts and I was talking to a friend of mine. He got on the phone swearing that another H-D Dealer could beat that price.... They were $1500.00 higher, Knowing where I was going to buy my bike.

The sales Mgr from the Harley Dealer said "I don't want to discount the price, but I don't want them to get the sale either" ... He didn't get the sale being $1500.00 more...

As I said, where You live, that may be a good price.... We have a Lot of H-D Dealers in a relatively close area... 4 that are Real Close...

That makes a difference too.

Doc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.