Motorcycle Forum banner

Small oil leak

28K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Hallsy86 
#1 ·
Weird, my bike just before I left for the Tail, started leaking oil, sometimes only one or two drops and other times a little more while sitting in the garage. I would take it out and run it, bring it back, nothing for two days, then a small spot would appear on the floor. I degreased it, sprayed foot powder on the area and ran it again to a local garage.

Thought it was something from the oil change (changed the oil and o ring and washer) and then thought it was the shift shaft seal. Replaced it, nothing for a few days. then a leak again! Ugh!

Ran it 2000 miles and not one drop in the garage!!!

Anyone else have this kind of issue?

2007 Yamaha Vstar Classic 650

#2 ·
Here's what I'd do, ... first get under there and clean it really well. That means take a terry cloth and some wd-40 and maybe a little brush and spray, brush (to agitate the area), and wipe it up. Repeat until it's clean. Do this where there's oil until it looks sort of new. Now it's clean; also clean the floor really well or put some cardboard under there to catch the oil.

If you want to be really accurate, you can just leave it there for a few days to look for a leak. If it doesn't leak for a few days and maybe leaks on the third, depending on the age of the bike, I don't know if I'd worry too much since it takes so long to leak and it's not leaking much.

Hopefully, it will leak so you can tell where it's coming from -- by looking at the previously clean area on bike and floor.

I remember I had a bike I did an oil change on and oil leaked onto the fairing area and I wiped it but didn't do a thorough job. Well, I saw oil on my floor the next day and eventually figured out the issue -- I cleaned things up and no more leak (it was actually just residual oil from spilling it on the fairing but took time to make its way down due to soaking into foam on the back of the fairing).

Out of practice, I will polish things under the bike after an oil change -- I esp. like the drain plug to be sliver and no caked-on grease on it. I like to clean the area around the drain plug and perhaps the oil filter area. This way I can tell if there's a problem. Plus, when I wash my bike, I don't want black grease on my wash mit.

I hope you find the problem.

Dennis

#3 ·
Well it hasn't leaked a drop anymore....and I am going to give it an oil change as soon as the heat leaves the area.....just too hot to change the oil ...been 95 degrees out every day....with humidity just plain to hot!

Thanks Dennis....

#4 ·
Good deal. I'm with you on waiting for the heat to go as we've got hig 90s up my way too.

Say, have you used hiflofiltro hf145? It's a filter for vstar 650. I have a new one and if it will fit I can mail it to you if you want. I'll never use it.

Just pm me if interested.

Cheers

Dennis

#5 ·
Cool let me check...and I will pay you for it....I change oil every 2K, but I am changing over to a synthetic blend....

#8 ·
Found out what caused the oil leak, when I took apart the alternator cover, the gasket was really messed up and the bolts along the bottom were all loose....it was just a matter of time....

Funny I kept asking if the oil leak was going to lead to another problem...everyone said no....(dealerships) and poof! there goes the pickup coil and the stator....right where the leak was....and since the yamaha makers make you purchase both of them together....guess they were aware of an issue too! ;/

#9 ·
Nice , this is not the way to spend a sunny day 5 hours from home. Hopefully the spark plugs just got wet from all the rain on tues. But it ran fine the entire time. Gettting no spark, so rather have it be a spark plug than another pickup coil :-( especially since I have to fix my dang dryer again!

#11 ·
Just bought the pickup coil and stator unit...and I pray that will be the only issue, I have gone through two pickup coils, but this time I think it is due to the amount of rain I went through in Kentucky. There was even mud up in the battery box ! Thanks railriderstv:) I am so tired of putting in new oil and this damned pickup coil going right after....

#12 ·
Ur welcome 4R......
I use the red or blue high heat silicone.....
When I 1st got this KZ550 the 1st thing I did was verify the gasket on both,the alt. side(left) AND were the pick-up coils r on the right side....
I need new needle and seats in all carbs. when kaw. told me 52.00$ ea. I nearly passed out...lol...."Parts N More" has 'em for......8.00$ ea. o.e.m.
WHEW!.....I feel so much better now:D
:icon_cool:

#15 ·
Had to replace a tap it cover Oring....tiny little leak, but I know what that leads too when traveling 500 miles on the highway....

#16 ·
Hey I know this isn't the best place for this question but I'm new and unable to start a new thread. I don't know too much about motorcycle engines/parts so bare with me.
My Vstar 650 developed an oil leak over the winter, or atleast I didn't notice the oil spots til then. There was quite a bit of oil on the frame and in between the two covers on the left side of the bike (pictured).
When I looked under the bike I found a rubber type part that is just above the oil drain nut. There is a small "nipple" that looks to be leaking oil there (pictured as well.) Is this the cause of the oil leak? Is it usually plugged with something?
Sorry for the horrible descriptions. Hopefully someone familiar with these can look at the pictures and know what I'm talking about!
Thanks for any help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.