Motorcycle Forum banner

Honda Twinstar

189K views 263 replies 112 participants last post by  supercub90 
#1 ·
Hey I own a Honda Twinstar and love it so far. It's perfect for me starting out on and so far it's been pretty reliable. Anyways just wanted to see what you guys think about the Twinstars and any tips I should know about keeping it running well for as long as I can will be greatly appreciated. I'll post pics when I get my digital camera working...Thanks and I look forward to hearing your opinions...

#29 ·
Hi there I own a 80 200 twinstar with 6 volt system. I've had mine for about 2 months and am loving it. It's hard trying to decide what modifications to take on it, but i think i've finally decided to go cafe racer style. I top out at 73 mph right now, and its all stock. I'll be going with an after market minuki carb, new intake filter, new bars, and im gonna see what i can do with the light scheme. I've seen some pics of a few sweet cafe style twinstars and it seems like a very simple conversion so here goes you can see a picture of it with drag bars on my profile, next pics should be dramatically different

#30 ·
I just bought an '80 twinstar. It is my first bike and I don't have too much mechanical experience. Currently it is not starting well. I got it from a friend of mine and I know it was running last summer but took a great deal of effort to get it started. He had to push it some 10 odd times before he was able to ride it.

I just bought a repair manual and a carburetor kit to repair that. I am also going to change the oil and replace the battery. I have to assume that the engine is working pretty well because once he had it running it was fine, starting was the only problem.

I had a few questions for those who may know a great deal more about this than I do:

First of all, I see posted here that it doesn't have a "normal" oil filter, so change often. I have also read, from less reliable sources, that it doesn't have an oil filter, which seems unlikely to me. Does this mean that I don't need to change the filter? I don't see easy access to one like on other bikes.

My second question is that the headlight is very dim. I don't know if it is because this bike is old and just has a dim light or if there are electrical problems. I know the battery doesn't hold a charge well so could this be the problem?

Am I on the right track for fixing this? I smelled the oil (which I don't know if he ever changed...) and it smells like fuel to me. Does this point to carb issues?

Any information you guys have would be GREATLY appreciated! I can't wait to get this running! Thanks!

#31 ·
I bought my '80 Twinstar new. It's a great bike. I've had a '78, '79 and '81, too.
Change the oil every 1000 miles or at least once a year and you will be fine.
No filter on this bike. It doesn't need it as it is designed for street use. If you are using it in dirty conditions you may want to change the oil more frequently.
The 6v system never had a lot of power, thus the weak headlight. A new battery will probably help. The bike won't run without a battery, and a weak battery may let it run, but with problems. Check all your bulbs (headlight, turnsignals, instrument lights) to see that they are 6v and the correct size. You might have one or more that are 12v and aren't getting enough juice.
The carb is the most likely cause of not running. It is possible you have a stuck float and plugged overflow tube, thus directing fuel into the motor and crankcase. Let me know if you need instructions for removing, cleaning, adjusting the carb. That, and a new battery should get you going. Reply to this thread if you have more questions.

#37 ·
Help

I am in need of help....
1978 Twinstar.

THe origional owner was charging the battery on the bike (bad move) and accidently touched the frame. Now the front and read signal indicators do not work.
I checked the bulbs and main fuse and they are ok. Is there something else I should look at?
The bike starts and the horn works and UI think the break light works

Any help appreciated

#40 ·
So over the last week I took apart my carburetor and completely cleaned it out. I replaced all the seals and the fuel line. I put it back together and everything seemed to go well. The only part that had me confused was the choke arm.

I replaced the battery with a new one and looks like it's a lot better. My last battery really didn't hold a charge at all. This one is probably only a little bit charged after being filled and seems like it is holding a lot more power than my last ever did.

Lastly I changed the oil which really needed to be done.

Unfortunately it's still not working. I haven't been able to get it started. It sounds like it's not getting spark when I kick or push it. I tired the electric starter but it just spins and doesn't even start to turn over.

I did replace the spark plugs recently but it was sitting unused for about 2-3 weeks with the new plugs in before I tried to use it. I am going to get new plugs again tomorrow and just keep them for later if that's not the problem.

Let me know if anyone has any ideas what else could be wrong. I heard that it takes a long time to get it started from a clean carburetor. Would starter fluid be a worth while investment? Would I have to take off the air intake to put starter fluid in, I have never done that before? Any info would be great!

Thanks!

#41 ·
Also, I forgot to ask -

Is there a specific kind of spark plug that is recommended for this bike? This bike has been using autolites and they had to be replaced pretty much every month. The ones needed replacement didn't even really look that corroded, they just stopped working.

At this time the bike was most likely running dirty oil. Could this be the cause of needing to replace plugs frequently? If not is there another thing that could be wrong that would be making plugs go bad and possibly inhibiting it from starting?

Thank you!

#42 ·
Also, I forgot to ask -

Is there a specific kind of spark plug that is recommended for this bike? This bike has been using autolites and they had to be replaced pretty much every month. The ones needed replacement didn't even really look that corroded, they just stopped working.

At this time the bike was most likely running dirty oil. Could this be the cause of needing to replace plugs frequently? If not is there another thing that could be wrong that would be making plugs go bad and possibly inhibiting it from starting?

Thank you!

#44 ·
Not necessarily. If you're a thin guy it wouldn't look too ridiculous, maybe a little uncomfortable though. I'm 5'9" and a bigger guy and I don't think I look too weird riding mine. Though I might recommend getting something with a little more power. It depends on how much money you want to spend and how often you're going to ride. I got tired of the little 185 after about a month of daily riding. It's still fun, but when you can't really go fast enough for even 55mph highways without getting tailgated and passed constantly it gets annoying.

On another note: So I'm afraid my 78's engine might be seized up. I took it out about a month ago and after a couple miles a loud clicking/ rattling type sound developed so I took her home immediately. Let it sit for a couple weeks and gave it an oil change. Tipped her back and forth to get the new oil to start coating stuff, started her up and let it idle, but the noise didn't go away, so I figured maybe a little ride to get the fresh oil moving in there. Called my dad to see if he had any idea, left a message with the bike running so he could hear it. I got about 3-4 blocks and went to turn around when the bike just died. Kinda figured it could be the battery because I didn't let it charge for that long, but the neutral light was still visible albeit dim, and not even kick starting would work. Dad called back and said it sounded like something within the engine but didn't know overhead cam engines that well. He told me not to ride it because it could seize up the engine, I didn't bother to tell him I already might have. Anyone have any ideas or info?

#45 ·
I took the switch apart...seems to be ok....replace the flasher and the lights work...should have done that first!!!

I do need help with the brake light. The light comes on if I press the rear brake peddle.....no light when I hold in the left brake lever.....I know there is suppose to be a switch for this but where is it??? In the lever? At the drum? I have searched but can find nothing.... need to get this fixed so the bike can be inspected
Any help greatly appreiatede

1978 Twinstar 185cc

Allan

#61 ·
Switch location

Might be that you are using the wrong lever. You said you get nothing when you hold in the left lever. That could be because the left lever is the "CLUTCH" the right lever is the front brake and the switch is there in the handle.
Under the right side battery cover look for a Green/yellow and black wire and pull the connectors out and put a continuity meter accross these wires on side away from taillight... you will see the needle jump when the lever is pressed... if no jump the switch is bad or there is an open wire between these wires and the switch in the right lever.
hope this helps
Dan

#46 ·
1978 cm185-T twinstar

just picked one up 700 miles ago :thumbsup: at carsforcare auction for 375 bones and also was thinking about hookin it up...the only thing is i love how reliable it is its only got 5600 miles on it i got it with 4900 i dont know if thats a whole lot of miles for a bike or not.

my problem is finding a place for aftermarket parts to hook it up i cant find any places to order from online withought having to try and custom make all the parts anybody know of any websites that i can order aftermarket parts for this beast like pipes bars seats etc?

#47 ·
new to the group

Hey All;

just wanted to say hello and have been following discussion group ever since I was given a 1979 185 Twinstar as a Christmas present. Was property of daughters boyfriend ( now X ). Not running - seals gone, electrical issues and tire rubber following off in chunks but physically very good shape and 6200km original. $600 later got it fully functional and collector plates installed. Even went and got my motorcycle licence ( not really that easy - north of the 19th parallel ). Anyway, fun getting lots of double takes and " I used to have one of those" comments . Keep up the good work circulating info and hints..

Old Guy on Little Bike

#50 ·
winterizing

yes - it is the 49th parallel ( typo ).

question - am thinking of winterizing the old bike, but being from the lower mainland of BC - where hopefully it does not snow that much - was also wondering if instead of winterizing - I just rode it up and down the street once a week for 15 minutes just to keep it running - I know I would likely have to put the battery on a trickle charger - which I have. Is this harder on the bike than parking for 5 months?

#51 ·
Hi, my dad just got me a 78' Twinstar to play around w/. Im pretty mechanically savy and have done all the engine and carburetor maintenance and the oil changes (both front fork and engine) only thing I can not find is a recommended tire size since the current tires have dry rot and the size imprint on the tires has worn off. Does anyone know the size of the front and rear tires and where to by them (HELP)
Thanks,
Jack Ryan Junior

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.