Motorcycle Forum banner

Reliable vintage motorcycles?

15K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  yahmyxs 
#1 ·
I'ma make this short because this side of town seems to be pretty quiet and idk if anyone's even gonna be interested!

Anyway, I'm going to college soon, it's not super far from home, ....okay fine it's a 10-minute walk...

But I want a motorcycle, or bike I can really ride. I can sell my '86 Cr250 for around $500 (I've been offered a few times in the past).

Besides that I don't have a job, I don't have money.

I need a reliable "vintage" bike that'll start up and run good on COLD days, and last for a few years without much done to it. I can take care of my bikes, and I ride them like an adult.

Anyway, what series of bikes, or specific ones would be good? What should I look for?

I'm thinking, Honda elite 80 (110, 125? etc.), Virago, early Nighthawks, etc.

#2 ·
It's hard to get something really reliable for no money. Any Honda twin from the 70s will be a reliable ride once they've been thoroughly serviced. BUT, they may require routine attention to maintenance items. carbs, fuel lines, spark. And for a good, solid, reilable one that someone has already gotten to run right, you'll pay maybe $1000-2000.

Another option for you is a mid 90s Honda or Suzuki, in the 500 to 650cc range etc for around the same $1500.

#4 ·
There a TON of mid to late 80's 500cc+ bikes in generally good condition for $500-$900.

I just don't really know what's reliable or not.

For example I really want this Zeph:
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&cat=144&ad=18131501

But I don't know what years they came out, if it's a good deal, what problems they had, etc...

I also think the Elites were nice bikes and VERY reliable. And they're pretty cheap to buy and run.

Besides that it's a lot of CBs and Viragos. And also an Aprilia:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&cat=210&ad=18266419 :icon_cool:

#5 ·
find someone selling all the lights from some motorcycle they are parting out for $45, fasten them to your CR250 in various ways, remove anything that says CR on it, buy a XR or XLT sticker kit, throw in a Quebec, Canada motorcycle license plate, learn a few phrases of French, and you should get by at least for a couple of months. Then buy Ohio plates and paint it. I have done this, it works. Cops don't generally bother motorcycles unless they are REALLY breaking the laws.

A really good silencer would help this cause too.

#8 ·
You could get an '80s KZ for less than a grand easily...

My neighbor found a '82 KZ550 for $500.oo on Craigslist. (he talked the guy down to $300) He bought another $50.oo in parts and we had it running quite well in a weekend. Another $20.oo in parts to get it through Pa Safety Inspection and he has been ridding the wheels off the damn thing.

I've seen KZ650/750's go for $6-700 in my area as well.

Or, you could put lights on your CR250 and register it for the road. (if legal in your area)

#11 ·
You keep mentioning viragos, so I have to chime in:

You could find a good 80's Virago/Shadow/Nighthawk for anything between 500-2000. The good running ones will be closer to the latter. All of these bikes have bulletproof engines, and run quite well, if maintained. The only one i can really speak about is the Virago. Ive owned a 1988 and a 1993, both great bikes. Both had carb issues when i bought them, but once cleaned up a bit, they can run great, and will continue to run great as long as they are run often. I also put some carb cleaner in every few months to help keep them nice and clean. I think that is a common problem on 80's bikes.

Early 80's Viragos also have a starter defect.

#20 ·
many low displacement metrics 70's-up are reliable but the lower the budget the more up front maintenance you'll have to pt in before they can get to be reliable. Most sold at lower prices are because of neglect and/or storage which may effect their initial reliability

#21 ·
1982 cb750c

Hello all,

Jumping in on the conversation here. I bought an '82 CB750 custom about a month ago and it has been an awesome experience, like most of my projects end up being... I bought it for $600 from a guy who said it just needed a battery and a carb cleaning (which I knew was bull, but I enjoy a challenge). The bike is in really good shape appearance wise, other than the inevitable pitted chrome on a bike that is 32 years old... It was kept in a garage though with some other bikes and the guy left gas in the tank for FAR too long. It was varnish when I bought it. The inside of the gas tank had been lined long ago but the liner was now peeling off from the old gas. Figured the carbs would look similar so I replaced all rubber & screws on all 4 of the carbs on these bikes. Then stripped and refinished the gas tank. Then replaced the entire wire harness, new ignition coils, new starter relay, new flasher, and a couple other cheap odds and ends. Replaced the oil, put new gas in and I was riding within a week or 2 of purchase. Course I ran into the common problem on these bikes... The charging system which kept me off the road for another week and a half, but was fixable.

All in all, after buying for $600, I ended up spending just under $1000 for a reliable bike that looks and feels great. These DOHC bikes and their 4 carbs will give you a run for your money if you're not too mechanically inclined; but if you want to build a good relationship with a bike before you even fire her up this is a nice little project.

#25 ·
Cb750k

Hello all,

Jumping in on the conversation here. I bought an '82 CB750 custom about a month ago and it has been an awesome experience, like most of my projects end up being... I bought it for $600 from a guy who said it just needed a battery and a carb cleaning (which I knew was bull, but I enjoy a challenge). The bike is in really good shape appearance wise, other than the inevitable pitted chrome on a bike that is 32 years old... It was kept in a garage though with some other bikes and the guy left gas in the tank for FAR too long. It was varnish when I bought it. The inside of the gas tank had been lined long ago but the liner was now peeling off from the old gas. Figured the carbs would look similar so I replaced all rubber & screws on all 4 of the carbs on these bikes. Then stripped and refinished the gas tank. Then replaced the entire wire harness, new ignition coils, new starter relay, new flasher, and a couple other cheap odds and ends. Replaced the oil, put new gas in and I was riding within a week or 2 of purchase. Course I ran into the common problem on these bikes... The charging system which kept me off the road for another week and a half, but was fixable.

All in all, after buying for $600, I ended up spending just under $1000 for a reliable bike that looks and feels great. These DOHC bikes and their 4 carbs will give you a run for your money if you're not too mechanically inclined; but if you want to build a good relationship with a bike before you even fire her up this is a nice little project.
I agree with what was written. I bought a 79 CB750k for 600. same thing it was sitting for a long time rebuilt the carbs and had to fix charging issues but now she starts every time. Good bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.