Motorcycle Forum banner

baffle removal

18K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  markk53 
#1 ·
hey guys

i just bought a 1985 Honda magna 750 v45 and was wondering if i remove the baffles will it damage the bike? The reason i ask is the my buddy said the the back pressure would be too low and might affect the motor is this true?

thanks
Chris

#3 ·
If you remove the Baffles you will need to re-jet the carbs, that being said are you doing to gain performance or just to annoy the neighbors. On short rides it will be okay but on long hauls as wintrsol said you will probly torch your valves. Might i suggest getting removable baffles that way you can put them back in when you need to.

#19 ·
It also should be mentioned that the Magna V-4 (with the 360 degree crank) has a flat crappy annoying drone when the pipes are opened up. The one negative about them. They sound best with stock pipes in my opinion. Now if it was the 1986 and on VFR700/750 V-4 (with the 180 degree crank) THAT is one fine sounding engine with a set of pipes. Sounds like a small block Chevy! Much like the VMax, which sounds like a big block Chevy.

If Honda had just put that 180 degree crank, which oddly enough gives stronger mid-range, in the Magnas we'd have sold them hand over fist. Put a set of pipes on it, then when the customer walks in and looks at one, roll it out and fire it up... sold!

#11 ·
^^
But that's not nearly as fun as sitting there with a fuel flow meter, and manifold press, and dialing in and out the fuel and throttle, all the while keeping a watchful eye on the number 6 cyl, waiting for the EGT to shoot through the roof just before you melt the cylinder head off and.....
maybe EFI does make life easy.

#12 ·
well, swapping out the duel CV carbs for duel throttlebodies would have an added benefit of more airflow into the cylinders as well. The EFI I wanna use id from the NT-700. Would take some work though...

Having duel carbs instead of a single carb means I have two sets of jets to change, and I have to sync the carbs after. It can be a bit of a pain, but it's gotta be done if you do any extensive mods to the intake and exhaust.

#16 ·
Also can lead to pre-ignition or detonation issues.
yup.
- Overlean + Lugging/lowRPM > Preignition or Detonation > Burned valve seats or Blown pistons or head gaskets.

It also does wonderful things to rings, connecting rods, and a good list of other stuff.

I think the best way to stay safe, since its a bike, is to spend the extra pennies and keep a nice cooling Air/fuel mix, and run optimal RPM. Would you rather buy gas or a new engine?

The guys on the CPA forum seem to love this topic.

#17 ·
well i decided to leave the baffles in the old pipes but here in Montreal we believe in the louder you are the safer it's to ride cus people are Fing stupid almost got hit. i was wondering what was a good pair of pipes for the magna or if i should make some of my own ?. also was curious is the magna considered a v-rod or metric ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.