Motorcycle Forum banner

Calling VSTAR 1300 owners

207K views 329 replies 60 participants last post by  RonK 
#1 ·
I was at my local dealer today and found a vstar 1300 for a heck of a deal, I'll be looking at buying a new motorcycle in about 2 months and saw this and started wondering about it. My questions are, how do you like it? What kind of things do you have to work on for this? Would you change anything about it. Lastly, I'm used to riding dirt bikes, 600 class sport bikes and smaller cruisers (suzuki 800cc cruisers), so I'm not really used to something with this much torque. How hard is it to ride. I sat on it and I love the stretched out feeling.

Last question, if you could go back and do it all over again, would you?

Sorry for all the questions, but I thought a bike like this would be out of my price range but then I saw the price and got really excited.

#2 ·
You called all V-Star 1300 owners which I am not.

However I do own a 1100 (I bought it before the 1300's came out) I wanted to reply to tell you I am very pleased with my 1100, and everything I have seen about the 1300 is a bit better than mine. The added engine size is a plus, the fuel injection is a plus(the 1100 are duel carb'd) I don't know much else about the 1300 but I have not heard anything bad. The 1100 rides very smooth, and the suspension on the 1300 is very similar. The Yamaha V-star linup are all reliable bikes (in my opinion) and even though its a bit big I think if you have riden 800cc cruisers you will be fine with the 1300.

The only thing you going to need are pipes, unless you love silence, last I knew all the stock pipes on all the v-stars(in 07') are way to sissyish for the bike.

If I could go back and they had the 1300 fuel injected when I bought mine I would have gone that route but even though I didn't I'm still happy with mine.

Also keep in mind if you go with the 1300 its going to keep you from wanting to upgrade to a bigger size bike withing a year.

I guess I didn't even ask how big you are though, if you like 5' tall you may not want a 1300

#6 · (Edited)
Newbie from Texas

Bighouse I'm from Texas also, I recently bought a V-Star 1300 Tourer, back in the saddle after 30yrs. I bought my 1300 Feb. 5 and have enjoyed it every minute of it. The last bike I rode was a KZ 1000 back in the '70's and the 1300 is a dream(slightly bias). It took me about 30 minutes to get my feet back on the pegs so to speak(floor boards now). I haven't found anything about the bike I don't like yet, it rides and handles great. Since you have recent experience I can't see why you would have a problem with the bike's size. It took me about a year and a half to window shop and kick tire before I took the leap to buy a new bike, looked at Honda, Kawasaki, Susuki and Yamaha. I had really thought hard about a Vulcan 900 and when yamaha came out with the 950 I turned my attention to it. But becuase of possibly riding 2up with the wife I went with the 1300, just in case. I have a buddy that has a HD Rocker C and gave me a hard time about buying a Yamaha, after he rode mine he quit. The only thing I would have done different was to buy the bike sooner, I can't ride it enough. My mileage on the first tank combined riding was 45mpg, the bike was still in the crate when I bought it so every mile is mine. If you go with the 1300 I think you'll be pleased. The fuel injection is way better than what I use to ride and the belt drive is smooth and responsive.

#7 ·
Well I went back to the dealership today and took a second look at it. I've made up my mind that if it is still that price by the end of May, I'm going to buy it. I'm waiting till the end of May because I'm still in college and have nowhere to store it at the moment at college, just in case anyone was wondering.

I love this bike, you know how everyone says, sit on a lot of bikes and see which one feels the best, well when I sit on this bike, it just fits, its perfect for me. I really hope its the same price when I come back in May.

#8 ·
Go back and buy it. You can store it at my house, just make sure you leave the keys with me (you know in case I need to move it around). LOL

If you look around the dealership are they still making the V-star classic in black with the ghost flames?

Also make sure you post some pic's on here when you get it.

#9 ·
Haha. I'll definately take a pic and post it. As for the vstar classic with the flames. I saw it on the 650 but I didn't see an 1100 with the ghost flames. I know a while back, I went in to get a part for my 4wheeler and saw an 1100 with the flames, but it was an 1100 custom not a classic. Sorry I couldn't be any more help.

#17 ·
Not 1100 but I went from 650 to 1300. The 1300 is not as as able to take the tight corners at low speed (e.g. full lock turns); however, even with the extra weight, the 1300 is very balanced. When you get good at handling it, it feels light; as I've learned to really lean it over, I can make pretty sharp low speed turns. At speed, the 1300 is very easy to handle -- even around the turns/curves. I find that I will scrape the floorboards at least once or twice per ride.

Aside: I sat on an 1100 and it felt like a 650 (with bigger engine); I was tempted to just go with the 1100 but wanted something a little bigger (just in case, I needed to upgrade) and that fuel injection, low fuel light, and digital clock really sold me -- not to mention how the folks on the vstar forums just raved about it.

I've heard of folks relocating the horn under the left side engine bubble. I think I read about it on 1300tourer.com.

Re: the saddlebags, I can fit a 12 pack (12 oz cans) of soda in one. I can also fit a Tombstone frozen pizza in the other bag. They seem roomy. They come on pretty sturdy stock brackets so I'd think they can hold a good amount of weight.

Dennis

#16 ·
Enjoy the ride BH it's a great time of year to cruise the back roads and lakes area here in SE Texas. And your close to Lake Livingston and on top of Sam Houston NF. I've been cruising the Sam Rayburn and Toledo Bend areas and its a great stress reliever. Since I work shift work I can cruise on the week days and the areas aren't as crowded as the weekend. There's even a camp ground on Sam Rayburn that cater's to motorcycle riders/groups and has touring routes rated for different skill levels; nothing fancy but they support motorcycle riding.

#23 ·
Well I've got bad news. I went to the bank to pick up my check and they told me that corporate hasn't sent the check. I've been approved and everything but because the government has got into everything, everything has slowed down. So now its just a waiting game. I was told Friday, but now it's we'll call you when it gets here.

#27 ·
My 1300

Hey Bighouse, I bought an 07' model 11 months ago. I bought it brand new from the dealership. I have never owned or riden any other type of motorcycle until I purchased this one. I have nothing bad to say about my bike. I can only compare it to an 08' 1200 sportster that I have riden a few times. The 1300 is heavy but that is not an issue unless you need to pick it up off the ground. I have put 10000 miles on my bike in less than a years time. I absolutley love it. I had an option to buy a Pit Pass from the dealer that covers all maintainance on the bike with the exception of brakes and tires. I would recommend this if it isn't too late already. It cost me 700 bucks for three years. I think I have already got my moneys worth out of them. A previous poster mentioned the pipes. I have a 2-1 pipe and it is quite as hell. One of my only gripes. I think the bike handles well and has a smooth ride. I am glad I went with a 1300. I hope all goes well and you are on the road soon.

#28 ·
Well I was finally able to pick up my bike today. I was so excited, I was like a kid in a candy store. My mom also got herself a suzuki burgman 650. We were only able to get one picture before we went off and logged over 200 miles today. This vstar is absolutely perfect for me.

#29 ·
Well I was finally able to pick up my bike today. I was so excited, I was like a kid in a candy store. My mom also got herself a suzuki burgman 650. We were only able to get one picture before we went off and logged over 200 miles today. This vstar is absolutely perfect for me.
bighouse dude, you look freakin' happy.

All I can say is enjoy the heck out of it. Great bike :D. Your Mom got something too? -- sweet -- a riding partner in the family :cool:.

Dennis