Motorcycle Forum banner

How many miles should a used bike have?

33K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  gammaqueen 
#1 ·
If you were looking for a Honda Shadow or Yamaha Vulcan, How many miles would you expect to have on one before you overlooked it?

#2 ·
According to kbb.com:

What is the average yearly mileage for a motorcycle?
Obviously mileage will vary from year to year and model to model. A simple guide could be to consider the type of bike you are looking at: If the bike is a sportbike 600 c.c. to 999 c.c., and since these bikes are traditionally weekend only bikes, you can expect to see lower miles, about 3,000 miles per year. Tourers or Sport Tourers usually see a lot of miles, but these are generally freeway miles, between 5,000 to 6,000 miles per year.

#3 ·
I know I haven't ridden in 20 years, but I used to average 12 miles a day during the week, and 200 on the weekend. That is about 13K/year if you live where its warm. I did closer to 7K/year because I don't like to ride on snow and ice. I lived in the middle of nowhere about 20 miles from the nearest town back then.

Those were not racing bikes either, just built from the junkyard frames and rebuilt engines with enough accessories to make them one of them street legal. The other was a fun in the mud bike so I didn't waste money on peripherals.

I would stay away from a racing bike with that kind of mileage, and if it is in town the mileage for a cruiser should probably be around 6K/year max.

Just my opinion, I don't claim to be an expert.

Hope you find one you like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.