Motorcycle Forum banner

Handlebar Grip Glue

20K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  rexmitchell 
#1 ·
The grips on my old Suzuki started slipping and oozing a gray substance. upon inspection I found a previous owner used a layer of electrical tape, then a a few layers of duct tape on the bars. I can only assume he was trying to enlarge the bar diameter to make the grips stick better?

Anyway, the grips are in good shape, I cleaned them up, and they slide onto the cleaned up bars tightly. Now I need to reinstall them properly. In all my years of ATVing and cycling I have never installed a set of grips.

Besides dedicated grip glues, what other substances have worked well for this? I want to get this done tomorrow and I am not sure dedicated grip glue will be available. I assume the stuff is just some sort of rubber cement? If it matters, the grips are a rubber like type made by Pro Grip.

#2 ·
Besides dedicated grip glues, what other substances have worked well for this? I want to get this done tomorrow and I am not sure dedicated grip glue will be available. I assume the stuff is just some sort of rubber cement? If it matters, the grips are a rubber like type made by Pro Grip.
I use weatherstripping adhesive....works great.

#3 ·
I get grip glue at my local independent MC shop; it looks and smells like a rubber cement. You can probably use an equivalent from your local hardware store, provided they still something like that.

#6 ·
I don't know about other types of grips but when I bought my Kuryakyn ISO grips they came with 2 little bottles of glue that were rock hard in the bottles, I emailed the place I bought them and in the mean time checked on another forum and was told they used superglue, Well I went and got a tube and used it on the grips and a few days latter I received a new bottle of glue in the mail and low and behold it was in fact a type of superglue. :tongue:
But the weather stripping glue sounds like a great idea.

#11 ·
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Definitely some different ideas out there. In the end I ended up stopping at one of my local dealer after all. A cheap bottle of grip glue and a new set of grips. It seems to be set up good after only an hour, but I won;'t be riding the bike until this weekend. The glue says to set at least 24 hours.

#12 ·
Old off road tricks -

Hair spray - back when most were some sort of laquer type, don't know how the new stuff works

Spray paint - most garages have a can of something sitting around.

I just did spray paint on the grips for the Zephyr - Rustoleum semi-gloss black for those who might wonder.

Sprayed it on some cardboard, wiped a paper towel in it and smeared it on the bar/throttle tube. Then I used an air gun to blow the grips on, having blown off the old junk ones. The paint sticks them to the bar/throttle tube.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.