Motorcycle Forum banner

Do you make a lot of noise on purpose?

8K views 64 replies 38 participants last post by  Badlands-4-2 
#1 ·
Do you make a lot of noise on your motorcycle?

Since I ride a 125 I don't make a whole lot of noise, especially if I shift betwen 6-7k RPMs. I have the option of making a lot of noise if I let it get closer to 8k RPMs before I shift, though. Depending on the mood I'm in, I can have a very loud ride or a very quiet ride.

One thing I have been noticing though, is that by making an aggressive amount of noise you inform other vehicles about your location. When people hear the "bruuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmm, bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmm" sound outside their vehicle they immediately start driving cautiously until they figure out where its coming from. I've been discovering that I can use aggressive amounts of noise to clue cagers in to my location and subsequently control them.

Additionally, it can be a lot of fun to make some noise! Its what men excel at (yes, I know how much this ties into the South Park episode I just posted about but I ride a sportbike, not a Harley :D).

Does anyone else do this? Do you ENJOY doing this?

#2 ·
My whole mo in having a BMW or Honda is ... a very quiet motorcycle. I do not like noise. It gives me a headache.
On any bike there is much noise, wind, other cars, trucks, etc. And my whole mo in life is ... peace, quiet, relaxation, serenity.
There is just so much noise in the world as is, I don't need any more.
dc

#3 ·
I tend to gun the engine when I'm fairly certain the vehicle next to me at a light doesn't know I'm there. Like I've said before I would rather have them think "what an idiot" rather than tell the officer "I didn't even see him!" as the ambulance drives away slowly.

#4 ·
My bike is very quiet, but I tend to talk to myself about stupid drivers...now with a microphone in front of my face...I hear..."are you talking to me?" "I see your mouth moving but I can't hear anything" in my headphones....he is so lucky that he doesn't hear everything I say! LOL....does this count for being noisy???

But I am planning to get a new set of pipes next summer...something a tad louder..so that people can hear me! Not like "southpark" though....that was funny....:D

#10 ·
Yeah, engine noise runs behind the bike, not in front of it, so they hear that too late.
If you want to be heard as a warning, at the light, pull up where they can see you. Up far in front of the other cars. They will see you, and you should always be first off the light anyway. The cars expect that from you, they wait for you to go first.
Or, for a warning, flash the brights, or get one of these super horns, Steben? like a semi truck horn. BEEEEP. Then they see you.
dc

#11 ·
No there are way too many loud bikes out there, I have a stock exhaust and I wish my bike were a bit quieter.

A couple of months ago I was part of a huge group ride (400 bikes) as you can imagine there were more than a few LOUD bikes in the group, there were a couple of tunnels that we went though and of course the loud riders had to rev their engines, even with my full face helmet on it was so loud I briefly lost some of my vision until we cleared the tunnels, it scared the **** out of me.

#19 ·

A couple of months ago I was part of a huge group ride (400 bikes) as you can imagine there were more than a few LOUD bikes in the group, there were a couple of tunnels that we went though and of course the loud riders had to rev their engines, even with my full face helmet on it was so loud I briefly lost some of my vision until we cleared the tunnels, it scared the **** out of me.
Dude, loosen the chin strap a bit...I think its cutting off circulation to yer head. Seriously...this isnt a joke. If you blackout...its gonna be bad.

#13 ·
All I can say is.....

BBBWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

#16 ·
A very long time ago I was a motor cop with the CHP. Now speaking of noise and warning drivers, here is what happened to a friend of mine, mistake on his part. He went to pass a car on the right, had red lights on and no siren, tapped his siren as he went to pass the car. The driver made a immediate lane change, you guessed it, to the right and ran my buddy off the road. Truth is it was my buddies fault. Noise can sometimes startle drivers, now I realize a siren is excessive but my point is not to startle a driver with excessive noise. Of course we use to go through East LA at 4:30 to 5:30 in the morning with lights and sirens on just to wake up the gang bangers.

#17 ·
I would say my bike is kinda loud, but nothing like some straight pipes on a harley. Now when I get in the higher RPMs it gets loud, but like someone said earlyer, thats mainly to get out of a blind spot..........or when no ones around and I wanna hall balls.

I saw some old lady in traffic that had a loud bike, and man she was cool. She had to be around 60 and she had an old Harley that looked as old as her, with some big ole bags, tall handle bars(not ape hangers just tall), and straight pipes. It was right as traffic was backing up and she freekin owned the raod man, she was cool!

#18 ·
I saw some old lady in traffic that had a loud bike, and man she was cool. She had to be around 60 and she had an old Harley that looked as old as her, with some big ole bags,
:coffeescreen::coffeescreen:LOL

#20 ·
My exhaust is a little louder than stock, but not so loud that even at idle or light cruise, it's an annoyance for those around me. When appropiate. I take it easy on the throttle. But when I'm in a spot where it's not gonna wake the neightborhho, I like to crank her a bit.

#25 ·
Sometimes. It's fun at times. I have strait pipes on a 1602cc vtwin. I like the sound it makes. However I don't do it in places where it's going to cause problems. Not all people with loud pipes are out to make others miserable for the 4 seconds they're coming and the 4 seconds going.

#29 ·
When my bf and I ride together...his bike is way louder than mine....we pull up to a light and someone will be talking on a cell phone, he sits there and revs it until they stop talking on the cell or the light changes....I think that is funny!

Oh and he makes fart noises when we shop at the grocery store and someone bends over....omg...so embarrassing !!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.