Motorcycle Forum banner

ninja 250 wiring

24K views 20 replies 3 participants last post by  jeffanderson 
#1 ·
hey, im new here, and i have 1990 quad with a ninja 250 motor in it, the wiring harness is a complete mess, and it isnt getting spark anymore either, i have acsess to a full metal and mechanics shop at school, but im not really sure where to start. is it possible to set it up without the boxes, just the battery hooked up to the starter with a start switch, and the igniton hooked straight up, bypassing all of the electronics, with a simple on/off switch installed.
not sure if this was the right place to post this, but hopefully someone can help me.
thanks alot
Jeff

#2 ·
Very likely, you have a transistorized ignition, so you need the 'black box' that, among other things, connects to the coils. It probably IS black. But yes, you can pull the fuses for everything else, or disconnect them; you don't need lights, horns, or turn signals to run the engine. If the harness is such a mess, it may be hard to determine what is wrong without a wiring diagram; see if the thread with manual links has one for your model.

#4 ·
well it used to run, when i had it, but not very well, and that was a while ago, i tested the coils and i dont think there very good, so if i got new coils and a new harness online, how much work would it be to figure it all out? with how the old harness is set up, it will turn over, but not spark, but lots of wires are cut, and there are 2 plugs coming from the engine case? what are those for?
thanks for the responses guys. i just want the harness and coils to be set up and working properly, so if im ever having problems, i know its not them, beacuse they have been the problem in the past.

#5 ·
Most repair manuals will have some info on harness routing, even though some require some imagination to visualize. The wiring diagram will tell you what's been cut or damaged by matching the wire colors to the diagram, assuming no one has done some replacing with generic wire.
Plugs from the case could be from spark reference coils and/or the alternator. If the wires are fairly thick, alternator. Again, wire color and the diagram will help.

#7 ·
I'm not sure which of those diagrams matches your engine; if you know, look for the coils and trace the wiring back to the control module. It will have an output to each coil, power and ground wires, and one or more to pickup coils on or near the alternator stator. That's basically all you need: power from the key switch, timing signals, and drive for the coils. With just that, however, you'd have to push start it, unless you have a working kick start lever.
If you don't want to kill the battery, the alternator wires to the rectifier/regulator is a good idea.

#10 ·
k the discusting wiring is in my room now, and im understanding it coming out of 1 of the plugs on the control modual, 3 wires lead to the coils, then 1 of them splits into 2 wires, so we have 4 wires, which connect to the coils, also coming out of that same plug is a wire that leads to a 2 connecter plug that hooks up to the engine, the other wire for that connecter goes to the fuse box. now coming out of the second plug on the control modual, there is 3 wires left ( there was obviously more but they were cut) and 2 of them lead to another plug that i dont know what it connects to i belive its to the rad fan. the other wire leads to the fuse box, and it is right ontop of the other wire for the other connecter to the motor, so i think they are connecter, just with a fuse. i think i will keep the control modual, seams simpler, but get rid of the fuse box and most of this wiring mess. not sure if im making sense to you, but i think im understanding this. the main thing that worries me is the 3 prong plug that comes out of the motor, that has been cut out of the wiring, and was there before so thats my mistake. but im gonna try and sort this out, then figure that out after.

#11 ·
was just out in the garage, and i got the starter to turn over the engine by connecting the starter straiight to the battery, thats how i will hook it up in the end, just with a switch up front, and i understand how to hook up the coils to the cdi, but im not sure about how to get power into the situation, what i will do for now is order the new coils, hook them up, hook up a switch for the starter, also hook up a on/off switch to the wires on there way to the coil, get that all set up.

but after that, you said i need to involve power somehow? how would i do that?
thanks
jeff

#13 · (Edited)
That drawing doesn't show a starter, starter switch, battery, or solenoid.
The I.C.Igniter gets power on the BR (brown) wire, the other wires on that connector kill the ignition when the key is OFF or LOCK and through the sidestand switch. The coil is driven by the BL (blue) wire, the BK/Y (black/yellow) is ground, and the BK/W (black/white) is the kill switch. The G/W (green/white) and Y/W (yellow/white) wires are the timing pulse from the pickup coil.
The R/R gets power through the 3 Y (yellow) wires and outputs DC through the W (white) wire, with BK/Y as ground.

#14 ·
you need to bring the starter solenoid into play or your switch won't last long lol.
starters take a hell of a lot of power - hence the fat wires.
if you don't use the starter solenoid, all your wiring will have to be the same thick cable, which will add about 40kg to the bike lol

why dont you just completely rewire it standard??
not a major job.

#15 ·
what do u mean by completly rewire it standard? all i want is when im done a simple, and not huge wiring system, i am building a little metal dash in the front, to house a starter switch, a key switch, and a spot for the handheld gps i have, and id like to get this done as soon as possible.
thanks

#20 ·
got your pm m8.

sorry didnt realise it was just the motor in a quad.
you will still need all the engine electrics - take the wiring loom apart and pick out what you don't need.

here's a wiring harness if it's any use!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawa...ItemQQimsxZ20091224?IMSfp=TL091224219007r3689

chances are, if there are no breaks in the wiring, it will be either the cdi box, or pulse coil that's failed.
ebay ftw ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.