Motorcycle Forum banner

Home made bead breaker

30K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  Offcenter 
#1 ·
I've known guys to use furniture clamps to break beads. I've seen guys step on them and break them loose. I know one guy that carried his off to a school playground and used a 'teeter-totter' to break his bead. This works for me.

Very straight forward. Very simple. And it works. I changed out a 180/55R-17 and a 180/70R-17 off mags without issues a week ago. Notice the multiple holes in the riser - that is your tire width adjustment. Customeize your spacing for your needs. Crib up the bottom side of the tire in both places where it rests on the deck with small blocks of 2x4 - and pay attention that it will not hit your rim. Press down slowly until the side walls squeeze together and meet; turn 90 degrees and repeat. The bead will break loose. Then it's rim protectors and tire levers to get the old rubber off the rim. Clean the inside of the rim thoroughly. Best practice is to replace the valve stem. Lever on the new rubber making sure the rotation arrow is corrrect. Balance and re-install. Balance? That's another article in the works.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Another bead breaker option

Here is another bead breaker option! $8 each from Big Lots. Lots of guys use these and they can make a really effective pinch angle.

I mainly got these for re-installing the tire on the wheel because the tire likes to slide off the bead opposite of where you're trying to put it on :mad:! This will hold him in place ! :D

#5 ·
Oh shoot! Not Best But - BIG LOTS, dang it, ssshhhh, I'll edit this and no one will ever know!

Best Buy? Who said anything about Best Buy? :eek:

#6 ·
You know, I just undertook the task of removing the tire off the rear wheel today. The only plans I've seen for bead breakers involved bolting it onto the wall of your workshop (not an option for me) so I ended up buying a 6" C-clamp for under $5 (thank you Harbor Freight!). It was a real bitch breaking the bead because the tires were at least 10 years old and the lube they used to put the tires on had formed a nice glue.

I'll definitely keep this thread in mind if I ever decide to build a bead breaker, though. This is the best design I've seen so far.

#7 ·
Check out YouTube under motorcycle tire change, it shows everything from a pro built device to someone driving his truck on the tire to bust it loose. I choose something in between, similar to the picture but with just two pieces of wood and the shop wall. Works good. Wheel balancer can be built with four skateboard bearings. Ideas at YouTube under motorcycle wheel balance.

#8 · (Edited)
Yeppers! And if your bearings run free you can put the wheels back on your forks/swingarms and spin balance them right there. That worked on my front...made a balancer for the back.

#11 ·
Bead breaker

Nice looking basic (get the job done) bead breaker..... it also looks like it'll crack anything from walnuts to watermelons to disagreeable girl friends. And if the Spanish Inquisition ever rears it's ugly head again, you've already got a tool in your arsenal. :D

Soon as my tread begins to get thin, I think I'll build one for myself.

MississippiSteve

#14 ·
I used to use the ramp door on my trailer to break 'em down. Now I use a shoe I made on the front of my MC lift to pop the bead.
What I haven't seen mentioned is some kind of tire lube. Dawn and H2O in a spray bottle will do it. Makes them easier off and on. Also don't forget to check rotation and balancing dot,align it to the valve stem.

#19 ·
I use 2 12 " c clamps amd 3 12 " pry bars with the wheel on a 25 gallon drum. I drape a cloth over the drum so not to scratch up the rim and and cut 4 3" pices of 3/8 gas hose to go over the bead. I found that the best thing to do is get the tire nice and warm if that is possible and the bead pops right off and the soft tire also helps in the removal and install

#22 ·
Best thing ever! I work in a tire shop and that is definitely the best tool for those pesky goodyear wranglers that never seem to want to seat to the rim.

The rig above is pretty nifty. I just wish our shop's equipment could do motorcycle tires. I wouldn't have to worry about it :)

#25 ·
have used this little system for many years on Harley, Kawasaki and tractor tires to break bead. Just be sure to watch what you are doing and block the tire so you don't damage anything just make sure that the bottle jack is on the tire near the rim. If you try this you are responsible for any damage or issues that may occur. I've had a 100% success rate...

Attachments

#26 ·
Hmm....Looks fine if you have a concrete wall on either side.
I wouldn't try that with the wooden walls in my shop. I might end up pushing the door frame apart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.