Motorcycle Forum banner

rectifier test

18K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  jeffrey cyr 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me how to do a bench test for a rectifier/regulator out of a
1983 vt750 honda shadow,Step by step using a multimeter tks Auto part
3 yellows wires going to stator and 2 green 2 red/white and 1 black going to the harness for the rectifier

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
When you test a rectifier you are testing the diodes in it. Set your meter to the diode test setting. You want to test the continuity between the POS wire and the three yellow wires, then the NEG wire and the three yellow wires.

For example, put the NEG lead of your meter on the POS wire on the rectifier and with the POS lead of the meter touch each of the yellow wires one at a time. If you have continuity through all three yellow wires swap the meter leads so the POS lead is now on the POS wire and with the NEG lead touch the three yellow wires. You should have no continuity.

Now do the same thing with the NEG wire of the rectifier.

Attachments

#5 ·
testing stator

Disregard my last thread,Tks again Dan for the info
Heres what happened.

The first test i put the NEG lead of my meter on the POS wire on the rectifier and with the POS lead of the meter touch each of the yellow wires one at a time. I had continuity i reversed them and had no continuity.
So far so good

But when i tested the neg wire with my pos lead i got no continuity touches 3 yellow wires.
And with neg lead touching 3 yellow wires i got continuity

So does this mean my rec is good?
And is this test 100 percent

#6 ·
Disregard my last thread,Tks again Dan for the info
Heres what happened.

The first test i put the NEG lead of my meter on the POS wire on the rectifier and with the POS lead of the meter touch each of the yellow wires one at a time. I had continuity i reversed them and had no continuity.
So far so good

But when i tested the neg wire with my pos lead i got no continuity touches 3 yellow wires.
And with neg lead touching 3 yellow wires i got continuity

So does this mean my rec is good?
And is this test 100 percent
By your test results I can say that the rectifier is good and yes it's 100%. By process of elimination, you know the rectifier is good so your trouble shooting efforts can be spent elsewhere. This doesn't mean that the voltage regulator is good though. Both the rectifier and the regulator are housed in the same "box". So even though the rectifier is good you may end up replacing it anyway if the regulator is bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.