Motorcycle Forum banner

Progressive Basic Package?

12K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Hawkeye 
#1 ·
I just looked into the Progressive Basic Package! It's about $215 a year for a 250cc.

Do other people have the Progressive Basic Package? Can you tell me if it's good or bad? I heard that Progressive will never pay out for anything!

#2 ·
if you want full coverage on your bike (so that if someone tips it over insurance will pay for your handgrip) then the basic package is not for you. Progressive will contest every payout, and try to avoid paying as much as possible. thats the reason they can keep it so cheap.

if you want the cheapest insurance you can get for your 1500 dollar bike, that is very cheap. liability only, meets all law requirements. but when you are pulling your car out of your garage and run into your bike, you will be repairing it out of pocket.

#5 ·
but when you are pulling your car out of your garage and run into your bike, you will be repairing it out of pocket.
If you run into your own bike with your car no matter what your coverage is they wont pay out, you cant file a insurance claim against yourself.

Bike aside, if you crash it and are ok with not getting any money payed out for it then so be it. The biggie on insurance is make sure your going to have medical insurance, most of the time your regular health insurance will cover you, but if you dont have health insurance get the medical bill coverage, I'd say atleast 20k.

Progressive, with the basic package will more than likely never pay out to you because they probably wont ever have to, if you wreck, your really going to have to whack something hard to cause more damage than you deductible but more than likely you will avoid whatever you were going to crash into and then you will wreck only damaging your bike.

However I can say with full coverage through progressive, if you have a claim, they will pay you. I had a claim, called them on a Saturday, they had a guy out Mon to write up the claim, he then cut me a check on the spot.

#6 ·
However I can say with full coverage through progressive, if you have a claim, they will pay you. I had a claim, called them on a Saturday, they had a guy out Mon to write up the claim, he then cut me a check on the spot.
that's spectacular service.

personally I'm still on a >2k bike, so as little coverage as possible is fine with me.

but when i upgrade, i'll stay with progressive and bump up to a full coverage.

#3 ·
Shop around. I have full coverage so it is more but.. on my Bandit Progressive is less than State Farm (truck thru Farm) but for the Yamaha All State was was about 1/2 of Progressive for the same coverage. Haven't talked to State Farm yet about the Yami.

#4 ·
Like Justi said, SHOP AROUND. Rates in a lot of states are based on loss experience for a particular model in a particular zip code. One company can be the cheapest, go a couple of blocks into another zip code, the other company will be lower. After a lot of shopping around, I ended up with Geico. They were WAY less than Progressive and quite a bit less than Satate Farm, where I have all my cars and home isured.
BTW..Geico's towing insurance is GREAT!

#19 ·
I use USAA for our insurance (house and vehicles) and they outsource motorcycle insurance through Progressive. We don't go cheap on any of our insurance, but I only pay 39 bucks a month on a 2009 950cc cruiser. That is down from 46 dollars a month for the 950cc and my 250cc that I just sold.

I'm told that State Farm has better rates for the larger cc crotch rockets, but that is not my concern right now. For years I was with State Farm for each vehicle (as was my mom) until Hurricane Katrina several years ago (not speaking about their practices during that time here) but they stopped carrying home insurance for a time. I wanted to keep my insurance (home and vehicle) together, so being that I'm in the military I switched to USAA, and they're great.

I will say about Progressive that they are stubborn. My wife was rear-ended by a guy pulling a trailer loaded with scrap metal (he had Progressive Insurance) and I still don't know if Progressive ever paid the claim. They fought it tooth and nail.

So far, Progressive has been good for me (2 years). Insurance is a gamble. I like to win, so we maintain good insurance with low deductables, so if we get in a bad spot, we won't have to come up with a large amount of money.

#21 ·
Basic coverage packages give you what, $100,000 to 200,000 liability coverage right? Okay so, is that enough coverage if I do a million dollars in damage, or mess someone up in the hospital and their bill is 5 million? I am over 21 with my own package, but has the court ever gone after my relatives for the rest of the money?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.