Motorcycle Forum banner

Best place for a rider to retire?

145K views 57 replies 31 participants last post by  Eds Wide Glide 
#1 ·
Next year when my youngest leaves the house I will be able to retire and with all of my older kids gone from this area, and most friends as well, nothing is really here to hold me in Northern Illinois. Anywhere I move to will be far from some of the kids, so I think I may just pick a spot that will be ideal from a riding point of view (I haven't yet discussed this with my wife, so who knows what will really happen?). I hope that some of you out there who have already been through this could make some recommendations as to where the ideal riding location is. I know I don't want to live in the really, really hot parts of the U.S. since the summer heat is almost worse than living with snow and cold. I guess I am dreaming, but I hope to find the right place, and also not be in a high tax area, and not be where my right to carry a firearm will be overly restricted as well. Well, maybe this is just a dream thread.

#7 ·
If I had enough money, I'd move to the Bay Area in Northern California. To the North you have the coast breaking up until you get to Vancouver with lots of isnlands and ferries. Watching otters play is the best. Salmon jerky in Oregon, Seattle is gorgeous, Redawoods that are like sitting in a cathedral, and varied roads from mountains to seahore.
Plus, there is a huge vintage snene all the way up the coast, especially in San Francisco and Seattle. Highest cioncentrations of good restaurants, bars and coffee, too.
To the South it gets warme and there's more mountains, Venice Beach, movie stars, desert, etc.

Or- Tennessee, North Carolina, Georgia are all in the mountains and a whole new culture. Asheville is a concentration of art and craft, and believe it or not- motorcycle things. Lots of people retiring here, actually- but please don't bring your Northern big city attitudes with you. People who carve a hunk out of a mountain and build a trophy home are hated by natives because we want to see the damn mountain- not your house. Plus, it creates more run-off below that the city council pretends your engineer will prevent but never does.
Otherwise, there is a lot of outdoor activities and sports, art, food (just different), and live musoc- some of the best "pickin'" you can imagine.

Motorcycle-wise, there's everything from Jamie James to vintage BMW shops. Lots of DP places to ride, and even the freeways aren't too bad (except around Charlotte and Atlanta)

#8 ·
Cherokee County NC, nuff said. Short winters,endless twisties and sweepers,mild summers, great fly fishing, great people,rafting,kayaking, everyone owns a gun(well most everyone), what else could you want out of life. ahhhhhhh and there's me!:71baldboy:

#10 ·
West Virginia... close to family and close to Georgia Florida, low cost living versus places like Colorado and California. You could buy homes in WV and in Georgia, maybe even Florida, for less than the cost of some of the small houses in California, being able to be kind of a "snowbird" if you like

If you haven't been there, go for a ride next year. You may discover why their motto is "Almost Heaven"... whoever wrote it was a rider.

Of course this also applies to a lot of the surrounding states like KY, TN, NC, and even eastern OH. They all are great riding areas for 9 of 12 months with minimal cost for homes and great access to some fine riding.

#13 ·
I vote for NC but only because that's where I live and work right now! I'm just west of Charlotte - flat enough for a noob like me, but close enough to the mountains and twisties for me to get to if I choose to do so!

#15 ·
Take Badlands idea a step further...Motor home pulling a trailer with your bike parked cross wise at the front and a small car's front wheels resting on the back end.

Drive all the kids crazy by popping in unexpectedly and spoil the Grand kids rotten then sneak out under cover of darkness and let the parents deal with them:biggrin:

#16 ·
If you're talking straight up retire, San Diego. If you're talking about retiring but still riding, +1 on the SF Bay Area. There are tons of routes, twisties, etc for riders PLUS SF is the most desirable city in which to live in the USA. You will never run out of things to do or discover here.

#17 ·
I know I don't want to live in the really, really hot parts of the U.S. since the summer heat is almost worse than living with snow and cold. I guess I am dreaming, but I hope to find the right place, and also not be in a high tax area, and not be where my right to carry a firearm will be overly restricted as well. Well, maybe this is just a dream thread.
Oops, just read this bit...

For weather, you definitely cannot beat California. San Diego is probably the most temperate city in the continental US (otherwise that would be Hawaii). NorCal has sun about 9 months of the year with great weather all the time.

Taxes are high though, I'm not going to lie. Oregon might be a good alternative in that case.

You can get an open carry permit, but California is also pretty hard on gun control laws...but we have LA and Oakland so you see the need. There are absolutely no concealed licenses allowed in the state unless you are military or law enforcement.

#18 ·
There are absolutely no concealed licenses allowed in the state unless you are military or law enforcement.
Not to hijack the thread,but that's not true.California is a "May Issue" state,which means the local Sheriff has total control over who gets a permit and who does not,no reason for denial needed...However,many California County Sheriffs issue permits,although it is said the further north you live the better chance of getting your permit...Most other states,including Oregon and Washington,are "Shall Issue" states,meaning they cannot deny you unless they have a legally valid reason...As a side thought in case the permit thing is an important issue to you,get a Utah Non-resident permit,it's honored in 35 or 36 other states...A few other states' Non-resident permits are similar in their scope of recognition...

Now,back to your scheduled programming...:biggrin:

#19 ·
Well, I do know that California doesn't honor CHL's from other states. Maybe I misspoke, but at least in the Bay Area, CHL's are limited to law enforcement and military only. I'm sure in the boonies of California you can get around it, but not here.

<sigh>

That's one thing I miss about living in the South. Almost anyone could get a Class 3.

#20 ·
Where to retire, and ride?

I agree with the person suggesting southern California. I retired last year and I ride all year long. I particularly like January rides when we get 70's weather once in awhile. Hot in the summer you can ride the coast and stay cool. Cooler in the winter you can ride inland. Mountains, deserts, pacific coast, twisties... we need more people out here. Just stay away from L.A. I suggest Orange County south to San Diego.:coffeescreen:

#22 ·
I need to throw in a vote for Northern California. Weather is mild, can ride year around and the variety is awesome. You have the mountains with all the twisties anyone could ever want, you have the coast for a multitude of ocean views and rides, you have San Francisco with any and all the entertainment you may want, and some you may not want. You have the Redwoods in the North, Shasta area and Lassen loop that is breathtaking, Oregon is a easy ride and has a ton of beautiful roads to ride. In the Winter you can go south and hit death valley, check out rider magazine this month regarding death valley. Of course you have Reno, and Las Vegas, Grand Canyon is a awesome ride, not to mention Yosemite, Kings Canyon and on and on.
If you like the snow in the winter we have some great snow skiing (don’t recommend taking the bike) If you like water skiing we a have some great lakes and the delta.
Central California is now much cheaper to live because property value is now rock bottom. Property taxes are reasonable compared to some other states like Oregon.

Only draw backs are population in certain areas, and some neighbor hoods that you want to stay out of. I know there are plenty of beautiful places in our country and I wouldn’t put any of them down, I can only speak of where I have lived all my life and don’t ever want to leave, to me it is a rider’s paradise.

#25 ·
I am thinking Tennessee too....close to so many twisties and sounds cheap....weather is better than Ohio's too, so more riding days...:wink:

#31 ·
Key words here were "retired":wink:
I want to write and illustrate during retirement and a few other endeavors that would require me to travel some...

but I could work at a KFC...I don't get agitated over bacon...:D

#28 ·
Doctors, RNs, amd lawyers seem to be able tp write their own tickets.
Otherwise, if you make more than $8 an hour, you're considered a rich man. Fast food and other stores like Wal-Mart are real picky about who they hire these days. 50,000,000,000 people for every job opening around these parts.
That's why so many people retire here- no work anyway.

#32 ·
Wow....yellow_wolf...impressed with your rides!!! I have viewed them many times:wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.