Motorcycle Forum banner

Boss Hoss

46K views 82 replies 28 participants last post by  Clawhammers502 
#1 ·
So what's the verdict? Are these dream machines or ridiculously excessive and ugly?

http://www.bosshoss.com/view_bike.asp?x=BHC3LS3SS

That's their crown jewel. 6200cc 445hp 445 Ft. Lbs. Torque. To me I think I'd like riding one just to do it, but it seems like it would be just a bit cumbersome. If you want that much power are you still riding a cruiser? What do you guys think?

Pic of the bike if you don't click the link:

See less See more
#29 · (Edited)
FYI...the friend of mine that has the 2005 Boss Hoss with the 350 in it...is tryin to talk his wife into gettin a new one with a 502 in it. He just won his 4th term in office and want it as a gift to himself.

If I was buying one I would go all out and get a trike with the Vette Z06 in it...lol

I found this link to the 502 he wants. Its for sale at our local Boss Hoss dealer. heres a link to it. http://www.mountainbosshoss.com/new_09/09_502_supercustom/09_502.htm

#31 ·
To ridiculous for me also..

having all that power and not being able to really use it seems pointless..

The fact that a 600cc sport bike would outrun it like its sitting still is prob the biggest reason I would never own one.... well and the poor handling...

#32 ·
having all that power and not being able to really use it seems pointless..The fact that a 600cc sport bike would outrun it like its sitting still is prob the biggest reason I would never own one.... well and the poor handling...
HAAA! I'm sorry, thats funny. Where do you get to use ANY bike or car for that matter, to the fullest extent of it's ability? The Track, of corse. But the track doesn't go past where I work.
Plus, Around here, the speed limit is 35 sometimes 45mph. Guys that have used all their available rpm's around here are either ticketed heavely, ...or there dead.

This guy at work just bought a new Dodge Charger with all kinds of extra power options, including ludicrous horse power. Wheres he gonna get any use out of it? The same place I get to use my 109 cu inchs & 110 hp. Putting down the boulevard and back and forth to work. Right behind the kids on their 600cc. crotch rockets doing 35 mph. And at that speed,...they All handle perfect.
Yeah, it's pointless alright, but it's the American way. :D

#33 ·
You just argued my point but not in the way I meant it...

If your not going to be able to use the power.... why would you pay that much for it...

But in this case.... you CANT use all the power that engine makes even if you wanted too... motorcycles are weird that way... there is a reason the race bikes are 1000CC DOHC 4 cylinders.....

You might have torque from all hell... but when you crack the throttle on that 502CI bike.... its not going to be able to make use of it or transfer it to the ground for **** compared to a properly designed bike.. So the only reason for buying one of them would be for the novelty, not for speed.

And yes a newer 600CC sport bike would hand it its ass in every aspect...

Also... I dont know where you live but where I do.... You have so many opportunities to hit 180mph and have a 90% chance of getting away with it that its ridiculous... So any bike I would own would defiantly get unleashed on a regular basis... Rural America has a lot of benefits.... and even if your not doing anything illegal.... its still fun do be doing freeway speeds 1/5th the way up the onramp.

So pay 30 grand for a bike that probably runs low 13's (maybe low 12's) and handles and stops like ****, or pay 10 grand for a bike that runs 9's and handles like its on rails and stops on a dime.... Saying you bought a boss hoss soley for performance either means your just ignorant (wich in case I can understand) or your just trying to justify buying one just because you like them.... there isnt anything wrong with that either.... but I get a kick out of how people act like they are the fastest thing out there when they arnt even close...

Ya they are kinda cool bikes.... and if you like them more power to ya I ques... but all I was saying is that I cant personally justify buying one when I can get something for 1/3rd the price that will greatly outperform it in every way.. thats it.

#41 ·
I'm trying to see your point here, I guess it's a bit like having a 426 Hemi Cuda when a little Mazda Miata will run circles around it at the track. I mean what would anyone want with that big 426 Hemi in a car that handles like a big turd compared to a Miata, what is the big draw?? I guess that's why Miatas go for $500,000 and up at car auctions and Hemi Cudas can only bring a few thousand because who would want a Hemi Cuda when they could have a sporty little Miata. It all makes sense now!

#35 ·
Yeah! Thats what I meant to say. I know guys who ride around in a 4X4 Pickup who don't live on the farm and Nothing has ever been in the bed, and it's never been off road or towed anything. They're just basic transportation. They probably are some kind of thrill to drive, and Detroit has sold a bizillian of them. :D

Whats the Latin term for, "To Each, His Own"

#37 ·
Also... I dont know where you live but where I do.... You have so many opportunities to hit 180mph and have a 90% chance of getting away with it

"this is why we can't have nice things"......

anyway, the boss hoss is overkill, just like a fully track setup R1 is overkill......where do i stand on this subject? we should all either ride 250 cc scooters, or we should all have proper liter racebikes, or maybe even two liter cruisers.....

there's a right way to use all of the above, in a public setting. it's when you start to abuse it that you make us all look like idiots.

use your head, ride smart, ride safe, and don't screw it up for the rest of us!!!

#38 ·
They should sell bragging douchebag raders for boss hosses. You could be a vigilante, when someone is on a big kawasaki cruiser, or a vtx 1800, or a v-rod*, and they're bragging about their bikes to people and how many horses they have and how other bikes are "weak" you would see them. Then you just pull up on your boss hoss, gun the engine, and drive away, leaving them silent.

*I'm not insulting any of those bikes so don't start ANOTHER harley argument, I'm insulting people who make fun of bikes that they deem to be "lesser" than theirs

#39 · (Edited)
I'd like riding one just to do it, but it seems like it would be just a bit cumbersome. If you want that much power are you still riding a cruiser? What do you guys think?
nail hit on head. Just a stupid toy for rich *******s. Its a water cooled car engine. ****ing lame.

at least a full track modded R1 can be run on a track, this thing is as useless as tits on a bull.

#40 ·
How many times in your life do you buy a couch.
I've known people who wouldn't buy a pick up or sold one because all they hear is, hey fred, what are you doing Saturday (they need help moving.)
Boss Hoss (there's one here, 1 mile away) is just too much. Like a 72 oz steak. 8, 10 or 12 oz is fine for me and tastes just right.
I like ice cream, but don't slap 2 gallons in front of me. I can't eat that much.
I'm still hung up in the world of mid sized bikes. And probably always will be.
dc

#42 ·
The other day I was talking to my co-worker Jake. Apparently his neighbor at home has a Boss Hoss (502) and he said it's not as heavy feeling as you would think. He compared standing it up to his dad's Road King. (does the road king have a higher center of gravity?). He also said that the ride is really really smooth, just a lot of fun.

#43 ·
Yeah, it's like a lot of things, people imagine it must be next to impossible to handle and they would never ride one because they handle like pigs. I've ridden several big V8 bikes and they are well balanced and have a low center of gravity, they handle as well as any big cruiser and are very smooth and fun. But, you do have to know how to ride a motorcycle. Too many people that ride lightweight sport bikes think you just need to lean or shift weight to turn and don't understand countersteering. Those people get on big cruisers and claim they can't turn unless they muscle it through the turn. Others know to apply a pound or two of imput to the bars to initiate a lean and cane make a big cruiser go where you want it to go with no fuss. And yes, they are fun!

#45 ·
The Mazda Miata is a rather good sports car. They are highly rated, and sell well.
Most of the people who can afford a Ferrari or a Lambourghini wouldn't be caught dead in a Corvette.
426 hemi, smoke indeed. As in burning oil and wasting gas for what? How many Saturdays or Sundays does anybody go out and 'run the quarter mile', on a leisurely drive? Read never.
I wouldn't give you 10 cents for a 426 hemi.
Most of those Boss Hoss monster custom bikes never go anyplace. Like the OC custom chopper bikes as seen on tv with those obnoxious guys.
dc

#47 ·
You misunderstood what I said.... in this case the faster car cost more.... in this bike comparison the faster bike costs less..

I really dont care to argue.... its just that a certain someone that commonly disagrees with me got me to get off subject...

I was just basically saying that while kinda cool, in all honesty it is useless and a waste of money and you would be much better off with something else and the only reason to buy one of those is if you just really liked them for some reason to to personal taste or a BS status symbol.

I am curious if the rotational torque of that engine wants to tip the bike over when you rev it up though.

#48 ·
I think I understood what you said fairly well. A Boss Hoss is not a bike that meets your requirements for having fun. Saying they are useless and a waste of money is your opinion. I was just basically saying most fun things are useless and a waste of money only to someone that can't appreciate the intrinsic value in something as arguably impractical as a Boss Hoss, or a 426 Hemi Cuda. The vast majority of mechanically inclined people can appreciate something like this for what it is and will enjoy owning and operating it and will have a bunch of fun doing it and sharing it with others. Nothing wrong with anyone preferring a Miata over a Hemi Cuda, but most people would prefer the Hemi Cuda or the Boss Hoss just for what it is, no matter how impractical others might find it. To each his own.

And yes, you can feel the counter rotational force when you rev one while at rest but it is completely controllable and is actually part of what make these bikes so much fun.

#55 ·
the tomahawk would be faster than anything else on the road. In fact, it wouldn't do half bad at Bonneville, STOCK.

now imagine a supercharged tommahawk modded to run on nitromethane. I don't know if the drag strip would let you run it, but I'd fathom, you just might be able to keep pace with funny cars.

#74 ·
Well priced at over half a million dollars I would certainly hope it's faster than anything on the road. I can't see it handling too well though weighing 1500 lbs + rider & gear. As far as the Boss Hoss goes, it's a "hey everyone look at me! my bike is bigger than yours!" thing. 100% novelty bike. And to compare it to a 426 Hemi Cuda is ****. The Cuda's engine is proportionate to the car. A more accurate comparison would be: a Boss Hoss is to motorcycles what one of those jet powered funny cars you see at 4th of July demolition derbies is to cars. Yeah, that jet engine powered funny car is awesome! But would you pay a retarded amount of money for it and then drive it to work everyday? Or even drive it on the weekends through the backroads of your town? I doubt it. Toys like that are cool to look at, but I don't care enough about what people think of my ride to waste that kinda money on a bike I would hate riding.

#56 ·
I have driven a couple of these behemoths and they are ok.I think they are really kinda fugly like a body builder with a tiny head.. just very disproportionate.The best times I have seen pulled from one was low 10s which isn't bad but there are faster bikes.If you want a giant burn out machine then its a great choice but it is a novelty bike for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.