Motorcycle Forum banner

Suzuki LS 650: Enough HP for mountain roads?

8K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Trail70luvr 
#1 ·
Hello gentle readers: I've been invited on a two-day ride around the mountains of North Carolina, Tenn. and Georgia.

Do you suppose a 650cc thumper like a Suzuki LS 650 or a Kawasaki KLH 650 will handle the mountains?

Any advice you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Trail70luvr

#5 ·
Enjoy the Ride

Hello gentle readers: I've been invited on a two-day ride around the mountains of North Carolina, Tenn. and Georgia.
Do you suppose a 650cc thumper like a Suzuki LS 650 or a Kawasaki KLH 650 will handle the mountains?
Any advice you can offer is greatly appreciated.
Trail70luvr
--------------------------
I ride a Suzuki Intruder VS800 and have taken it through the mountains of NJ/NY/PA/WV/VA/NC and have never had a hint of an issue. I'm sure you will enjoy the benefits of the 650. Sleek, streamlined, simple and beautiful, yet still powerful enough for mere mortals who don’t choose to ride the 1600 class machines. The horsepower may be a little lower than some might like and the small gas tank is a problem for all Suzuki bikes (650-700-750-800-1400) alike.

I'm taking my VS800 cross-country, the long way around - all three coasts - through the mid-west, and then into Canada & Alaska. I'll be on the road for 4 months - May through August 2009.

I’ve ridden terrain like where you’re goin and you'll love the ride characteristics of your bike in the mountains, except maybe the seat and gas tank. If you’re goin for two LONG days, stop often in addition to fill-ups (see the sites) - get a Gel Pack 1st.

Enjoy the open road.:)

#10 ·
--------------------------
I ride a Suzuki Intruder VS800 and have taken it through the mountains of NJ/NY/PA/WV/VA/NC and have never had a hint of an issue. I'm sure you will enjoy the benefits of the 650. Sleek, streamlined, simple and beautiful, yet still powerful enough for mere mortals who don’t choose to ride the 1600 class machines. The horsepower may be a little lower than some might like and the small gas tank is a problem for all Suzuki bikes (650-700-750-800-1400) alike.

I'm taking my VS800 cross-country, the long way around - all three coasts - through the mid-west, and then into Canada & Alaska. I'll be on the road for 4 months - May through August 2009.

I’ve ridden terrain like where you’re goin and you'll love the ride characteristics of your bike in the mountains, except maybe the seat and gas tank. If you’re goin for two LONG days, stop often in addition to fill-ups (see the sites) - get a Gel Pack 1st.

Enjoy the open road.:)
Hi All: Thanks a million for all the advice. I did indeed pick up a 2000 SUZUKI ls 650 for a grand. It seems to run great and after a nice bath and a little Mother's Billet Polish she actually looks OK, too. For grins I took her down to the coast and she banged along 65 MPH no problem.

The tank is TOO SMALL. The seat is a taint torturer. The HARLEY guys laughed at it. But in a sea of Heritage Softails this little gem stands out.

Plus I have a soft spot for thumpers. I may have been a lawnmower in a previous life.

#13 ·
Congrats on the purchase! I own an S40, which is the Savage renamed... The little bike is a blast to ride and easy to work on.

I had a Harley guy ask me at the pump where I found my bike... I told hi what it was, and what the bike cost new and he was amazed... A bike as stunning as this for under $4,500?! Amazing.

You got a steal on your bike! :)

#14 ·
I DID get a steal. And since I bought it I have changed out the fender struts with S-40-style struts. I never liked the sissy bar. I also engineered some 1 1/4" tall springy seat mount gizmo's to raise the front of the seat a bit.
It's much more comfortable now.

I'm hunting for a bargain on S-40 bars and risers. If you see (or change yours!) any hit me up.

#16 ·
Just got an S40 in November (my first bike). It is an '06, and used, so maybe the previous owner had changed the seat; mine's incredibly comfortable.

I have no problems riding the hills in HI, and from what I remember (I used to live in GA) the Appalachians are similar. Never had any problems around here; it actually runs smoother up and down the hills than my V6 SUV.

The gas tank is absolutely a problem, though. It's what, 10 liters, I think? Going through those hills, you'll probably wont get more than 40mpg on average. Perhaps you could fit a couple gallon-sized gas cans in some saddle bags?

#18 ·
Savage Update!!! Update!!! Update!!!! GAAAH!

Okay, so I really liked my LS 650 Savage but it was just a little bit too "Wild Hawgs" for my taste. So, I sold the LS 650 ($300 profit, tyvm) and bought a Kawasaki KLR 650. 2004 Model with 3200 miles. I paid 1900. It has issues with the plastic.

But I'm stoked about adventure cycling and welcome any comments or suggestions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.