Motorcycle Forum banner

How to REALISTICALLY check your oil on a VStar 650?

57K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  Dodsfall 
#1 ·
So I'm about 800 miles into this new bike of mine, its been through its 600 mile service, and everything's all good (in fact smoother these last 200 miles than the original 600 - whatever they did at the 600 mile service was all good)... I figure its time to start normal maintenance checks, and all of a sudden I realize there's no real good way for a single guy like me to physically check the oil level in the bike.

Who the hell designed a bike with no center stand, the oil level window down around the left floorboard, and the bike has to be LEVEL in order to check it? In short - its impossible... the only way I could check it according to the manual is to have someone else sit on the bike and hold it level while I lay down on the ground and look in the window.

That just plain old isn't feasible for me...

Any hints? Suggestions? Laughter?

#9 ·
I think most of the time the oil is up over the window when on the side stand so it is hard to tell where it is that way. I tried it once. I guess you could always make sure it's over the view window and assume it's safe.

#7 ·
Set it up straight and estimate how much 'lift' you need under your side stand to the bike to be 'vertical'. Use 1" x 4"? 2" x 4"? etc for cribbing under the kickstand to get a good vertical position. Keep slight pressure on the stand side of the bike so it doesn't tip the opposite direction. Dismount and inspect (with slight hold toward the stand side) your oil level.

#11 ·
Oil only has less than 200 miles on it, when its on the sidestand that window is either empty or completely covered - (we'll call it completely covered since I still have an engine).

Ok, so a block of wood and try not to dump the bike on its right while I lay down on the ground to look (window is quasi hidden behind and just under the left floorboard), or try the mirror.

Guess I'll pick me up a mirror and do the expletives thing.

#13 ·
Not sure how well this would work, but ...

I talked with a person who has a V-Star that said they checked their oil level the regular way to make sure it was properly filled. They then put the bike on the sidestand and stuck a plastic zip tie into the oil fill hole. They marked the oil level on the zip tie with a permanent marker so they would always know where the "full" level was.

I haven't had a chance to try this yet, but I'm going to give it a shot.

#16 · (Edited)
Do you have a good sense balance?
The way I check customers bikes is......

Put the side stand down, left hand on the left grip, right hand on the seat and pick it up to center balance.
Then hold it there with your left hand and lean down enough to see the oil level. (KEEP the bar STRAIGHT at all times).

Not as hard as it may sound. :confused:

Maybe have the right side near a wall just in case.
Try it a few times with a buddy standing on the right of the bike.
But, gotta have a good sense of balance......

Or you could get some wood blocks to put under the right frame tube.
Experiment stacking them till you get the right amount to reach level when they make contact when you lift the bike up against them.
Probably the better way to go for a new guy. :biggrin:

Edit: Oops, just noticed this is an old thread. He's already got it figured out by now. Oh well.

#18 ·
This thread is ancient but just in case anyone finds it in the distant future..., the best solution I've found is a long extendable mechanic's mirror, with a built in LED light in the head.
About $15 at sears or your local auto parts store, it made the nuisance job much easier. Just sit on the bike, stick the mirror down there ( after a while you'll know just where to put it) and take a quick peek.

#22 ·
I have a block of wood I put under the side stand, it is close enough to level to get a reading. Or I just put it on my lift to check it,

#24 ·
LOL, Mine isn't totally upright on the block but close enough. I don't walk away from it. Roll it forward from the right side on to the block. Then get down and check it and roll it back off.

#27 · (Edited)
2x6 with another shorter 2x6 nailed on top. I think it is just under the height of a 4x4 plus it is wider. I checked it on the lift first and then the wood just to see how much difference there was and it was less than the width of the mark I made on the glass with a wax pencil.

There have been a couple of times when I have moved it because I didn't like the way it was sitting on the stand. I would hate to have mine fall over, it is heavy. I had it fall over once when I was parked on a slight left incline and I put the stand down. I started leaning it over on to the stand and didn't have it down all the way. rolled forward off the stand while I was still on it but I couldn't stop it from going down. Couldn't get it back up because of the incline, someone stopped and helped me. I moved it and parked somewhere else.

#28 ·
I would just put the jack under the bike until it would sit vertical on the ground, not lifting the tires. Then I could just get down and check it and fill it without having to balance it.

I also noted how much oil it took on a change and that is how much I put in it every time. Never had a problem, but still would check it every time I changed it.

#30 ·
Combo plan

Block of wood under the side stand. Lift bike off the block, check to be sure it will fall towards block. Adjust block thickness so bike is near level, but still returns to block. Do the Semi fast plan. Level bike with one hand on bar. Probably need to be on knees to do this and see the window. You can feel when the bike is near level. The oil height in the window will also indicate. You are in control of the bike tippyness. It is not rocket surgery. It does not require extra expense.

Plan B, what I do with Yami. Bolt on the side car. But the car restricts my view.

Unkle Krusty*

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.