Motorcycle Forum banner

Foot peg and position

14K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  Leigh 
#1 ·
I plan to buy a Ninja 250r as my first bike, but I've never sat on a sport bike before.

When I took the MSF, I rode a Yamaha TW200 - a dual-sport which I felt comfortable on. It's foot pegs were centered with the seat and they were parallel to the ground.

The Ninja 250r, however, being a sport bike has foot pegs that seem to be a bit further back and they are on a bit of an angle. I'm wondering how this will affect riding. Is it more difficult to balance? and so on.

#2 ·
Having had a KZ550 (standard bike, much the same ergonomics as the TW200), a Katana, and now a Bandit, I find that there's not a whole lot of difference between the standard footpeg position and what would be on the Ninja (which shouldn't be as extreme as the Katana I had, and MUCH less extreme than supersports). I doubt you will have any problems.

I personally find even the high-ish position of the pegs on the Katana to be more comfortable than the stretched out position of a cruiser with no floorboards. My Bandit has darn near perfect ergonomics for me.

#3 ·
Yeah, well . . . on a sport bike, which is designed for road-racing, you want to be down over the tank, low profile, low wind resistance. That means the place for your feet is behind your butt.

BMW does this position to some degree on their road touring bikes.

Harley Davidson, on the other hand, sets up rider position like a Lazy-Boy Recliner, feet out front on floor-boards, foot pegs on the crash bar for stretching out, fairing, back rest. Basically it's relaxed and comfortable. It's not, however, particularly well suited to setting up for a lot of curves at high speed.

Your Ninja is set up in more of a road-racing configuration. That's fine if you're planning to ride fast/hard. Personally, I'm not at all comfortable in the riding position that emulates a monkey humping a football. :D

Your mileage may vary.

The riding position you're looking at on the Ninja is set up for racing.

#6 ·
You really should know what you're talking about before you say anything. A Ninja 250 does NOT have the full on race bike ergonomics. There is a HUGE difference between the ergonomics of a Ninja 250:

http://www.bestbeginnermotorcycles.com/files/images/2008ninja.jpg

And a bike like a GSXR600:

http://fondoscoches.com.es/images/wallpapers/suzuki-gsxr-600-k8-455941.jpeg

The Ninja 250 is no more than a standard bike with a fairing, much like my Bandit.

I also think you need to recognize that not everyone thinks the stretched out lazy boy ergonomics are the be-all end-all of comfort. Personally, I can't stand it, and my knees killed me after about 45 minutes on my Marauder 800 (despite having floorboards). In contrast, I could ride all day on my Bandit with its Corbin seat.

#5 ·
A Ninja 250 R is a barely a sport bike. Yes it has some of the characteristics and a slightly rearward foot position but is a much more upright position than a full on sportie. One of the reasons it makes for a good starter bike. Personally, I feel much more comfortable and in control of the bike than a feet forward cruiser position. Perhaps it's my early years on a dirt bike? You should have no problem with the Ninja, after all you haven't had time to get use to anything.

#7 ·
I have to agree with you Primalu, I'm much more comfortable with my sprint than on a stretched out cruiser. It's not my knees, but my lower back that hurts all stretched out and sitting on my tailbone. As I said earlier I feel much more in control with my legs under me.

#9 ·
Well, now see? This is a good example of what it's all about to me. Ride what you like. Murphy. If you're more comfortable on the bike of your choice, then ride it. And don't worry about what others are riding.

I mean really...lol...is there actually a rider or Biker out there that gets so spun up about what other people are tooling down the road on, that they have to get on the Internet and brag about how THEIR way is the BEST way?

Oh c'mon fellows. Ride safe and enjoy.

#8 ·
"You really should know what you're talking about before you say anything. A Ninja 250 does NOT have the full on race bike ergonomics. There is a HUGE difference between the ergonomics of a Ninja 250 And a bike like a GSXR600"

Well, I think he's commenting from the point of view of someone that does not own a sport bike, who rides a Harley, and to whom most sportbikes look somewhat alike as far as set-up and rider position goes. Given that, I'd say his post was reasonable and objective, and it did not condem or belittle any type of bike. In short, he did not "talk trash" about a Ninja or a sportbike, nor did he boast about Harleys. He merely pointed out the differences as he understands them in a polite manner. I see no fault in that.

Besides, if we take a slap at everyone here that posts an opinion without knowing what they're talking about, then about 95% of those that post about Harley's and how they leak oil and vibrate and parts fall off and so on and so on (ad nauseum) would have some red faces, wouldn't they? <chuckle>

"I also think you need to recognize that not everyone thinks the stretched out lazy boy ergonomics are the be-all end-all of comfort."

I think he does recognize that, and I don't see where he said it was the " be-all end-all " of comfort. I do believe he posted his oppinion that Harley caters to that, and markets to those that seek that. He also said that other brands cater to, and market, to other things, such as speed and handling, and racing performance. I didn't see any fawning hero worship in his post, but I did take it as respect.

Relax, friend. His post wasn't an "attack" or a denigration of any sort. It was just a discussion from his point of view.

"Personally, I can't stand it, and my knees killed me after about 45 minutes on my Marauder 800 (despite having floorboards)."

I agree. Anything with floor boards makes me cringe. I like the up-right but laid-back "recliner" position for the most part, as it's most comfortable for me, but the position of most all stock controls and floorboards causes me a great deal of pain due to a few 7.62 milimeter wide kisses I have had. (I've modified my bikes so that I can ride them as much as I can stand.)

#13 · (Edited)
I thought seriously about tossing out the analogy about horse-back-riding, mediaeval knights and leaning forward, leaning back in jousting . . .

My fundamental objection to the "lean forward" position is that it cranks my neck. Not comfortable at the 500 mile post.

The Harley has a lighter for the cigars, a cooler option for the brewkies. We're thinking about installing a cup-holder . . .

I have no clue what a "Ninja" looks like, wouldn't recognize one on the street nor in the showroom. I don't have a clue who/which mfg. puts out the Ninja. (Probably not Bavarian, nor Swedish . . . :D)

Comparative generalizations -- like horses and jousting.

-- And I own the largest Lazy-Boy recliner they make, with cup-holders and a small fridge nearby:

:71baldboy:

#14 · (Edited)
I have no clue what a "Ninja" looks like, wouldn't recognize one on the street nor in the showroom. I don't have a clue who/which mfg. puts out the Ninja. (Probably not Bavarian, nor Swedish . . . :D)

:71baldboy:
:coffeescreen: You either aren't serious or you haven't opened any mainstream motorcycle publication and the general history of motorcycling since 1985...

#15 ·
To each his own, folks. I cant believe there isnt more crossover! Personally, the bikes im currently lusting after are as follows: Suzuki sv1000, Ducati monster 1100, honda magna, honda shadow spirit 1100, and the yamaha warrior.

Point being that there is variety for a reason. Are those all very different? Damn right, and i like them all for different reasons.

#18 ·
To each his own, folks. I cant believe there isnt more crossover! Personally, the bikes im currently lusting after are as follows: Suzuki sv1000, Ducati monster 1100, honda magna, honda shadow spirit 1100, and the yamaha warrior.

Point being that there is variety for a reason. Are those all very different? Damn right, and i like them all for different reasons.
I agree, I don't have any problem with those who ride cruisers with the forward pegs and all. I will say I've ridden them (sold bikes for a lot of years) and they just don't work for me. I also have the same issue with the supersport bike riding position - doesn't work for me.

I'd love to have a Magna, one of the best power cruisers built over the years especially when factoring in cost for performance. If I had limitless funds I'd be inclined to get one and fit the VFR750 crank to it just for the exhaust sound. The VFR sounded like a small block Chevy versus the flat drone of the Magna. If Honda had done that we'd have sold dozens of them back in the 80s and 90s. All we'd have to do is roll it out, fire it up, and blip the throttle a few times - especially if we'd have put on some aftermarket mufflers. The VFR sound is incredible. The only cooler thing would be if the entire VFR engine could be fitted to the Magna, with that gear drive cam whine and the extra hp.

Yep, if it was a cruiser for me, the Magna would be at the top of the list. Oh, by the way, they have a more neutral seating position for a cruiser, closer to a standard than a cruiser. Good fit for someone like me.

#21 ·
The Ninja 250 isn't really a true sport bike posture but rather a sport touring posture with the neutral foot peg position and higher mounted bars. The sport bike posture is a little more aggressive with lower bars and slightly higher pegs. The extreme end is the GP posture with true clip-on bars and rearsets instead of footpegs which move your feet up and towards the rear. Sport riding is very similar to a jockey on a thoroughbred with your weight carried on your feet. This allows you to easily shift your weight fore and aft and side to side. This allows you to get off the saddle and hang off when cornering at higher speeds. You also grip the tank with your legs to help keep yourself in place while accelerating and decelerating so that your arms can stay relaxed and flexible. Unless you have a bad back or some other orthopedic problems, you should be able to cope with the Ninja. Just remember to keep your arms relaxed. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.