Motorcycle Forum banner

Masking Curves?

14K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  WAR600 
#1 ·
Any experts here that can offer advice on masking curves? What tape do you use? Are there any special techniques you could share?

I'd like to do something like this (not these colors, just the two-tone) but every time I try to do a curve like the top forward curve, it comes out jaged and not smooth. Anyone with some advice?

Picture provided as an example only... :D

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm no expert but from what I've seen, people who paint flames and such (you don't get much curvier than that) use a real thin tape like 1/8" wide stuff. I would imagine the better quality tape (such as 3M) also helps. Even with my crappy paint work I won't skimp on tape and buy 3M. Ever have cheap tape fly off? I have :mad: . I imagine an auto body supply place could help you out with a good tape for curves. I would bet vinyl tape like real thin electrical type tape would bend a sharper curve than paper masking tape, especially if it was warm.

#5 ·
CB is right, 3M 1/8th inch fineline is a favorite of many, although some still prefer the green paper fineline. I have recently started using Colad tape which I'm getting through Innate.com It is a European tape which outperforms 3M in every aspect. It will hold its place for days and never leaves any residue. I posted pictures of my comparison test I did with it on another site and was going to link to it, but the site happens to be down. I think it's priced about the same and would highly recommend it.

Mark

http://www.madshadowcustompaint.com

#7 ·
I'll also agree 3M is the best. I'm no painter but I am a graphic artist who makes and distributes custom vinyl decals (currently down due to moving) I always use 3M for masking my decals it removes CLEAN with 0 residue. Try some decal sites for transfer tape it's thin enough and made by 3M yet to let me down

#8 ·
I've always wanted to design a custom paint job for my bike but have no skills in that arena. If I can't trace it, I can't draw it. I just don't want to use a template from something someone else created, I don't want to see someone else rolling with the same paint job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.