Motorcycle Forum banner

New (to me) XS650G

2K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Biker Dash 
#1 ·
Well, the bike I have mentioned that I bought has finally arrived at my home today. A 1980 Yamaha XS650G. Bought it cheap.

It also needs work lol...

Thats ok, cause now I have a bike to work on, and a bike to ride. I do want to have this thing ready for the road soon, so I can still have a running bike if one is down for maintainence, repairs, or modifications.

This is the bike in my friend's garage... then this morning next to the ACE.

Yeah... you see those handlebars? Those TALL handlebars... THOSE WAY TO FVCKING TALL handlebars? Yeah. You know what I am talking about lol

I think maybe a clubman direction sounds about right...

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
lol, thats because you like broke bikes OTD. And Rex, those are positioned fairly close to where clipons would be. I might have to see if I can get this one machine shop I know to rebend them a little, so I can get the angle I want without interference with the tank.
Yes and no Badlands. It will have a lot of cafe influence, but I am also considering some scrambler influence as well.

#12 ·
It would be more fun if I had the money to really go to town on it lol.
BUt I must work with the funds that I do have.

Thank you Tex.

Today, I think I shall pull the rear wheel and see if I can figure out where the brake is binding up at. I am hoping that it will be a simple solution. (brake shoes should not be too expensive for this, and not too difficult to get, if I need parts. Fingers crossed on that.)

#14 ·
I thought the 80 and up XS's came with electronic ignition...
Well, if it doesn't, then I might have to pick your brain for a source for one.
Would be especially sweet if the ignition was tunable like a Dyna3000.

lol, I know what I could do, I could convert her over to FI!

#17 ·
Yeah, I do have tons of ideas. Just need money. LOTS of money lol

Maybe I need to find a forum to join specific to my Yammie. I am a member of one for my ACE (one of the most active members there as well) So adding another good place on my laptop seems the right thing to do. They will probably have many good ideas for me as well.

#21 ·
I took a look at the site before I headed out today, and it seems to have a lot of good stuff there. I dont think I like the rearsets they have though. They do not fold up, and I want some that do. I was actually gonna make mine so the right one, when folded up, stays so it would be out of the way of the kickstart lever. With the ones they have, you have to heat and bend the lever. That cant be good for the part.

Heck with it, I can make some up I'm sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.