Motorcycle Forum banner

97 Shadow ace 1100 question

7K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Biker Dash 
#1 ·
I just bought this bike 2 weeks ago, It only has 4000 miles on it and in perfect condition but there is a roughness in the engine throughout all speeds. At cruising 70 mph it is just uncomfortable. I've heard that it's the type of cam but I can see anyone enjoying this, other then females.
Does anyone have this bike and can tell me if it's normal.
Thanks

#4 ·
Hey,
Don't call me an expert by any means, but, some Honda Shadow engines are single-pin crank, and some are double-pin crank. The Shadow Spirit, and Sabre are a couple of double-pin crank models and they are said to be very smooth. The Honda Shadow Aero 1999 and older was single-pin crank, and to my knowledge, your bike is also a single-pin crank bike. I am not sure of the exact definition, but a single-pin crank bike will be much more rough as you can feel it shake like a Harley. Anyway, it could be more than this, but I have a felling that is a big part of it. Let us know what you find out.

#5 ·
The ACE models were all single pin bikes. from the sound of it though, it would seem to be worse than normal. I would check the motor mounts to make sure that there is nothing loose/damaged. Assuming that there is nothing wrong with the bike, you do have options on reducing the felt vibes. Aftermarket grips and pegs can do wonders, as well as bar-ends. I also hear that a custom seat can do much to reduce the felt vibes in the posterior.

#6 ·
I have a '96 with a mild vibration due to the single crank pin. I suspect Honda wanted it to simulate a Harley.
In any case, sounds like yours is a bit more severe if it's that uncomfortable at 70 mph.
Have you considered the condition of the tires? The bike may have been sitting long enough to create flat spots. Perhaps they need balancing?

#7 ·
Thats exactly why they used a single pin crank on the ACE models. As for the flat spot on the tires, I never thought of that one. Thank you for bringing that up, maybe now I will remember to move the bike around the garage a bit this winter.

#8 ·
Flat spots on motorcycle tires are usually caused by losing air during storage.
Check the inflation when parked. ;)

His problem, could have something to do with the age of the tires.
If the tires are ten years old, I would not be riding on them! :eek:

JMHO,

Eric

#9 ·
Speaking of tires, how many miles is a 404 (front) usually good for? I have a little over 12,000 miles, and the tire is gonna have to be replaced come spring. I do not know if it was the original tire on the front, but the one on the back was practically brand new when I got the bike.

#10 ·
Typically, front tires last a whole lot longer than the rears.
Especially if your bike has a lot of power. The tire scuffs even when it doesn't break loose.
Depending on the tire/compound, front tires will last 12-14,000 miles.
If it is within 1/32" of hitting the wear bars, I change them.

Eric

#11 ·
Well, the Front tire is at that point, so I'm gonna be getting a new one. I think that Starting Line here in town even carries the tire I need, so I could just take it over and have it done in an hour if they're not too busy.

I would imagine that riding style has a lot to do with tire wear too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.