Motorcycle Forum banner

Honda NT700

35K views 49 replies 16 participants last post by  aussier 
#1 ·
Well, I ran over to Lakeland today to pick up a couple of spare exhaust gaskets for my CB350. Road Bike just had a story on the NT700 so I thought I would take a look.

I think that is a bike I could enjoy riding. I generally don't like the sport bike looks and ergonomics, but this li'l' baby was nice. The foot pegs are not extremely far back, and if you sit far back in the driver's section of the saddle your feet are in not much different position than a standard. The seat was super comfortable, as the article had noted, and I think you could ride it all day and not have a sore butt. The integrated "saddle bags," really side boxes, are very nice with a handy pass through side to side for longer stuff. Also some handy storage for small stuff (like tools and spares) under the seat and a coupel handy size tstorage compartments are on each side of the fairing.

The only thing I did not like was that it looked like an ordeal to get to the motor if you want to do the simplest thing, like change sparkplugs. Power to weight was prety good for a single rider touring.

Anyone here have one of these babys? How do you like it?

Cheers,

Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
I have not yet had the experience of riding one, but I do like the looks of it. The one thing I wish Honda would do is offer a version with a standard tranny in it.

I have some ideas floating around in my head about turning one of those into a sportbike (say in the Katana or Hurricane class) with the cruiserlike stretch.

#3 ·
I'm looking at one very strongly but probably won't get one until next year. There is an NT-Owners forum that I have been following to see how folks like the bike. I think it is just the ticket for my next bike. It will come in abit lighter than my CB. Even though the seat height is about the same, it sure feels like the center of gravity is lower. There is a gal up here that just took delivery a few weeks ago on hers. She is in the process of farkling it and said that the plastic is a bugger to get off. I am concerned about the power of a 680cc V-Twin when I'm coming from the I-4 750. I will just have to wait and see. My youngest is graduating this year and I have to get him off to college in the fall. Maybe next year I will pick one up.

#6 ·
The DN-01 looks a bit like the wings...too expensive for me and I don't like the auto concept. My local guy had a brand new 2007 Yamaha FJR auto on the floor last year...it's probably still there. I don't think they will ever sell that thing. I get the ST and the NT confused at times. Did they have an ST auto at one time? the NT has been around since about 06 I think - in Europe. It's a big seller there but I understand rust was a huge problem.

#7 ·
Well, if I were to get one of them DN-01's for a project bike, the engine/driveline would be swapped out for something better. I too do not like the Auto idea on a bike, but I imagine that there are some who would love it. The ting that I like about it is that it has this look that no other bike has.

As for the NT-700, I would give it a try. Don't know how well I would fit on it, but maybe I shall find out soon.

#8 ·
I like the look of that bike a lot. Reminds me of the smaller BMW "touring" bike (whatever it's called). My only concern would be, it's a fairly small engine for a "touring" machine. Honda doesn't report the gear ratios of the 5 speed, but I bet it's the same as the Shadows, in which case you'll be running at much higher rpm's than you will like, and rattling like crazy, at highway speeds. I would definitely want to ride one before committing -- on a highway, for at least 10 miles, at 70+ mph. The fairing will help, but still.... I would much much prefer a larger displacement, and I think Honda is being lazy and cheap not developing a six speed for these small v twins.

#12 ·
Honda doesn't report the gear ratios of the 5 speed, but I bet it's the same as the Shadows, in which case you'll be running at much higher rpm's than you will like, and rattling like crazy, at highway speeds.
Just read a review. They said it runs just a bit over 4000rpm at 60mph. The red line is 8500. And they said the bike is smooth throughout the entire power band. The big news is they got nearly 50mpg out of it. That's big for those that want to long tour and are not worried about the performance side as much. http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/117/5327/Motorcycle-Article/2010-Honda-NT700V-First-Ride.aspx

With a rocket in my garage to feed my power cravings already, and the Sportster for everyday use, I could see something like this bike for the long relaxed rides I like to do. They also said the seat and ergonomics are extremely comfortable.

#10 ·
You posted a picture the other day of a Shadow Aero and said that was the same model you had. The Aero is shaft driven. What kind of bike do you have?

Obviously, the final drive ratio is part of the equation. But transmission gear ratios are a very useful way of assessing the way a bike will perform in terms of rpm's vs speed. At least I thought it was obvious.

#11 ·
No, that bike I posted was the Shadow American Classic Edition

This is what the Shadow Aero looks like:

The ACE is a chain drive bike as well. The Aero does have the same exhaust as my stock ACE has, as seen here:

in this pic, you can see the chain a lot easier...

#14 ·
I have looked over, as all of us with BMW's have done, the NT700.
The BMW is lighter and more powerful. But the NT700 does look like a real good bike, and Honda dependability is excellent.
I don't think you can go wrong with that bike. I suppose that it is powerful enough for any purpose, but I don't know if the bag/boxes come off. On the BMW's you snap those boxes off and tote them suitcase like into the Inn, Hotel, Motel, Flophouse, or Crash Pad as the case may be.
The NT700 is not a sport bike, I think it is in the Sport/Touring class. Near sporty, not a cruiser, but good and well designed for touring.
dc

#16 ·
I don't know if the bag/boxes come off. On the BMW's you snap those boxes off and tote them suitcase like into the Inn, Hotel, Motel, Flophouse, or Crash Pad as the case may be.
dc
They don't come off, but they sell the optional luggage bags that fit inside you can take along with. That does though decrease storage area.

Just curious, which BMW are you comparing it with?

#15 ·
I definately think it's a good looking bike. Cute baby sister to the ST1300. It is physically smaller in person than it looks in picrures though. I just can't see spending 10K on a 680cc V-twin. I'd sooner buy a Shadow 750, throw some saddle bags on it and get the same results.

G
#17 · (Edited)
In Europe it's nicknamed the "Dullsville" for good reason. Completely uninspired performance all for $10k. No thanks. If I were shopping for something in that price range, I would have to go with the Triumph Tiger or maybe a Suzuki VStrom 1000. With those two, you could at least have some fun in the twisties.

#21 ·
I don't own it any more but it was a 2006. I bought it new. Kept it for a while after getting the Harley. I was initially planning to put the sidecar on the Aero and use it for a "family" bike, so to speak. Ended up having little continuing interest in it, and sold it (at a very considerable loss). It was a good bike, just didn't quite meet my needs.

#20 ·
I agree that a test ride is in order. If you have not had the experience of riding a bike that requires high RPM on the highway you might find that this alone is a reason NOT to buy this bike. IT is annoying to constantly be trying to shift up to a higher gear, when no higher gear is present. I wonder why Honda did not make this a six speed. As to the auto tran, its amazing how quickly you can get used to it. After knee replacement surgery I switched to a Honda Silverwing for the ease of getting on and off the bike. Once I was used to NOT squeezing the left lever while slowing down (it activates the rear brake since there is no clutch) it became very comfortable. I thought I would miss the shifting but have found that it is not the case at all. If your ego can handle riding a scooter instead of a "real" motorcycle you might want to consider one of the mega scooters like the Silverwing, or the Susuzi Bergman. I have no trouble reaching triple digit speed, and initial acceleration from a stop is at least as good as most cruisers. With the built in storage, great weather protection and a comfortable riding position it has been a great ride. From my point of view the only down side is the lack of a good motorcycle sound. I looked at the NT700 and couldn't come up with anything it had to offer that my Silverwing doesn't already have.

#22 ·
4,000 rpm at highway speeds sounds like heaven to me, but then I am use to spinning at least 6,000 rpm on the highway.

When the time is right for getting a new bike I have so far narrowed it down to a Sportster, Shadow RS (have to wait to see one of those, though; maybe it will be at Daytona week after next), the NT700, and the Bonnie T-100. Of those, the Bonnie stands way out ahead on hp/weight (close to double what the CB puts out and only 100 lbs heavier)and style (for my tastes anyway). I can add removeable bags for traveling and have a nice clean uncluttered bike when riding close by, but it will need a saddle upgrade for the solo distance riding I want to do. The Deauville (NT700) is priced quite a bit higher than any of those other bikes. It will probably fall by the wayside when I do by if only for that reason alone, but it was interesting to compare.

Cheers,

Mike, daydreaming about another bike for another few months at least

#23 ·
The NT700 looks like a great commuter bike to me. Able to carry stuff and light enough to be nimble in traffic. Looks good too. As far as the DN-01 if it were about 1/3 the cost it might be a good beginner bike or bike for people who do not like to shift. I saw one at a dealer last week. The looks kinda grow on you, but still way to much money.

#26 ·
I had the chance at the International Motorcycle Show in Chicago yesterday to at least sit on the NT700 yesterday. It felt high (for me) and yet small and somewhat cramped position (and I am only 5'8"). I was not impressed. What was also interesting was the limited attention this new bike (to the USA) was getting. There was almost no one paying it much attention, even less than the DN01 was getting. A lot of the Honda exhibit attention was focused on the Fury and the new line of cruisers that are based on the Fury. The new Interstate looks great, and felt great to sit on, but I have no idea of how it actual rides.

#27 ·
I was disappointed with the Honda display. Seemed no one wanted to talk to you unless you were looking at the fury or Goldwing. I was much more comfortable in the Suzuki, Yamaha, and Kawasaki displays. I waited by the NT700 for 10 minutes while the guy went to look for the guy that "had the key" to unlock the saddlebags and show me the pass through design. He never did find the key.

#29 ·
That's bad. Someone should have their head handed to them for that kind of thing. The only reason for a manufacturere to attend these things is for PR, and even just one such incident makes it a negative.

FWIW, I wasn't that impressed with any of the manufacturer displays at the show this year. The whole show seemed kind of off. Historically, the Honda sections have been very good, and I have had very attentive and helpful people every time I've been in one. This year there was a ton of people crowded around the new cruisers and I didn't hang out long. The bikes did look nice, though. I would imagine they are really nice to ride and very reliable.

#30 ·
How do you like the Beemer? Have you had it out for extended highway riding? It's a 6 speed, right? Does it have a tach? What's the rpm level at highway speeds?

Also, I see you're on Long Island (I'm in Westchester). Is there a BMW dealer out there? They seem to be few and far between.

#31 ·
On the other hand, the Suzuki booth went over the top for me. I started talking to an older guy. He was with Suzuki when they came out with the first four wheel ATV back in 1992. I had a 1994 version so he ended up talking for quite some time. Then he learned I have a 1993 GSX-R750 and he leads me over to one of his coworkers. This guy is a district manager with Suzuki USA, and is an avid fan of this generation Gixxer. Next thing you know I have the guy's personal cell phone and a lead on some very rare parts. Talk about cool.

#32 ·
for $10k they can take it...

better off throwing some saddlebags over an 800-1000cc class cruiser...

the sporty/bonnies sound like a much better idea. I'd even look at that new royal enfield too. All amazing classics.

#35 ·
Well, there's horsepower for its own sake and then there is reasonable horsepower for the type of riding you want to do.

The 500 Enfield makes 27 hp. MY CB350 makes 36 hp, and it is underpowered for long distance Interstate speed riding. I like the Enfield, but it sure would not make a good upgrade from my 350 for a distance/touring bike.

None of the bikes I've mentioned are high performance/high HP bikes, but they certainly have substantial more hp than my li'l' 350 and plenty for one up highway riding. The Bonnie comes in at 67 hp, which is almost double my 350 with only 100 lbs more bike (or so).

Cheers,

Mike

#36 ·
I hear ya and certainly agree. Just my humble opinion, but for the kind of upgrade you're considering, if it were me, I would be more interested in transmissions, gear ratios and final drives than in hp. I find hp a misleading "spec" to a large extent. But that's an opinion based on a relatively narrow range of experience in terms of modern bikes.

I don't think I would want another bike with only 5 gears, unless it was a vintage being purchased as a secondary toy. A 6 spd tranny is so much nicer.

#37 ·
I am really starting to have my doubts about the power in the 680cc V-Twin NT. I know it won't have the power of my 750F but I'm afraid it won't carry my 6'3 240# arse down the freeway at a respectable speed. So now I'm going to start checking out a VTX1300. With an engine nearly twice the size of the NT, a weight of only about 100# over my 750F, and a lower retail price, it might be the ticket. My local dealer has an abundance of '09's for 8899.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.