Motorcycle Forum banner

What bike is right for me

3K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  Firecracker 
#1 ·
Alright guys, ive been looking for a long time and cant figure out what i want

I do alot of really tight tight trail riding, just driving through the woods with no path at all.

all the bikes i look seems to all have alot of stalling problems.

i want somthing that can chug along in 1 or 2 gear at idle and then have the torque to be able to roll on the throttle and lift the front tire.

ive driven all the 125 2 strokes and they seem to only have that torque when they hit the powerband.

so the power to be able to be crawling along and then see a long and get the front end up over it

the only bike ive driven that does it well is a ttr125, but im not sure why it did it
i could just go in first idle along and then give it some and it would pick up like nothing( might be because the bike is so small)

suggestions would be awesome thanks

See less See more
#5 ·
Well you mentioned nothing about riding on the streets so im guessing you dont care if its street-legal or not. If your looking for a more modern more reliable bike i would say to look toward the Yamaha TW200, suzuki DR200se, suzuki dr400se or perhaps a Yamaha XT250. Kawasaki KLX250S. these new bikes are going to be much more expensive than an say an older bike but it might be worth it. Ive got a 1975 Suzuki TS185 2-stroke enduro that "use" to be street legal but im working to get the original Headlight, taillight, battery, turn signals, and speedo to make it street worthy. 35 years old and runs like a champ. cant beat a 183cc motor putting out 18hp

#6 ·
I'd take a serious look at a trials bike. Beta makes one with a real seat on it. Even with trials tires those things are almost unstopable. My brother has a Sherco which is incredible, but he also has an 80cc trials bike, Beta I think, which can do about everything the Sherco can - absolutely incredible.

Of course if you could find one on the cheap, you hit the nail on the head with the Alpina. Vintage racing has made Bultaco stuff fairly easy to maintain. All the parts can be had either new or used and repopped stuff is all over the place. The Alpinas are the least expensive of all Bultacos because they aren't really competition ready like a T or a Pursang.

#11 ·
Nobody mentioned just changing sprockets. Will give more at lower speeds.
125 or 250's 4 Stroke.

I have a 1990 Honda NX250 (stock)
I ride it through some nasty places at real slow speeds. It'll pick its way around rocks / logs and such.

Did I mention, I can go on road? ( Street legal ) About 80MPG on road. 60 - 70 MPG off and mixed off road.

#12 ·
i have an xt 225. in first gear, letting it chug in idle and then rolling on the throttle will get your front wheel way up there, quick too. in second you can do it standing up and pulling up on the handle bars, or you can do a clutch wheelie. 3 4 5 6 gear wont do any weelies, but if you start in second you can ride it into third and well into fourth. 90 mpg. 240 lbs. street legal. used on craigs list for 1200. great bike.

#13 ·
Hmmm, how old are you, how tall are you, and how long have you been riding?

The 250 and smaller CC four strokes that have been mentioned are reliable chuggers, but many riders outgrow their capabilities and adding performance parts to them just doesn't give you the results in the long run (sorry if I've ruffled any feathers).

Now someone said dont' get a two stroke, and I can't exactly agree with that. There aren't many but the two strokes that are made for enduro riding are fantastic for tight trails. The KDX200 or 220 is a bit on the heavy side compared to the 125s you've ridden, but not compared to the 230s and 225s that have been mentioned here. It is a reliable, fun to ride two stroke that is already set up for the woods, with plenty of aftermarket support if/when you start wanting more.

KTM also has some sweeeeeeet enduro bikes in its lineup. The EXC models have a factory installed heavier flywheel (aftermarket flywheel weights are available, but I tried one and hated it). They also have a tall-geared 6 speed with a "granny low" first gear, plus lights, big tank, etc. The MXC models have the big tank and heavier flywheel but a close-ratio gearbox (still 6 speed though) and while they come with a lighting coil, they do not come factory with the actual lights. Easy to add if you want. A lot of used ones already have them on there. These are available in 200, 250 and 300 cc models, and the bigger ones are actually in some ways easier to ride because you can lug those guy down to a near stall without fouling a plug, provided you are jetted correctly. They are lightweight, reliable in my experience, and have "big boy" suspension which a lot of the XR, CRF-F, XT, DRZ, TTR, etc. models do not have. You can pick up used models for 2500 or less. The KDXs have sort of stabilized price wise since Kawasaki quit making them, and they have almost a cult following--for a good reason.

So, there's my sermon about two strokes. They are not the fire breathing monsters some people say. In fact, you could buy any Japanese motocross two stroke, add a flywheel weight, change the gearing, throw on some protection items and a big tank, and have a VERY capable woods bike.

But if you're determined to go four stroke, well they have their place too. I prefer a two stroke. I think they get a bad rap. It's worth test riding one of the ones I mentioned, if you can find someone who will let you try it.

One last thing: You say you are "driving through the woods with no trail at all". Unfortunately, that's illegal in a lot of places now. Recent Forest Service rule changes have made a lot of areas "closed unless posted open" which means if there is NOT a trail, with a sign telling you that motorcycles are OK, then it is closed. Charging off through the untracked forest is a no no in a lot of places. And breaking those rules is exactly what gets a lot of trails shut down, and gives dirt bikers a bad name.

But if you live somewhere that does not have such rules ... can I come visit?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.